Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should companies be allowed to sponsor a guest worker, or should the worker sponsor themselves?
The guest worker should be in control and sponsor his or her guest worker status. 12 63.16%
Companies should be in control and sponsor guest worker status 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:49 PM

444 posts, read 820,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I agree. Keyword here is GUEST. You have a home country, and you should really be contributing to that country instead of the brain drain. I don't have any sympathy for H-1B holders. They should be well-verse in the program stipulations before agreeing to enter. Many of the jobs they do can be done by Americans anyway.
Your actually hitting my point. It's not fair to an American worker to "compete" with someone in these contracts. Obviously, the H-1B contract deal is a huge benefit to the companies because that worker isn't leaving for a better wage at your competitor, he's not complaining about working long hours, or that he didn't like something you did. If an employer is a douche to an American worker, that American worker can work their an look for another job without fearing immediate deportation. The American worker can easily say "I need more money. Time to look for a new job." It's not that easy for a guest worker to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Not really. ^

May of them are bringing their sick relatives to use our Medicare and other tax supported systems for self enrichment.
I don't think H-1B's are allowed to bring their parents, only their spouse and child.

What I've noticed is that some H-1B's(non-immigrant visa) have gotten married becoming a K-1 (immigrant visa) -> GC, and then brought their parents over here (GC). But I also know that CA has an interesting medical system, and a bit more free health care than other states.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:26 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,468,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Not really. ^

May of them are bringing their sick relatives to use our Medicare and other tax supported systems for self enrichment.
Yes, and don't forget the illegal Mexicans who are bringing in leprosy into this country... ...Lou Dobbs said so!

Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Reading my previous threads, you will notice that I am not a fan of the H-1B guest worker program.

But, I have done more probing into this topic. And have some specific questions about it.

1.) Is it right that an H-1B worker is sponsored by a company? That all the control is in the companies hands? These workers cannot easily quit and work somewhere better, or somewhere with better pay? This is SUPPOSED to be a capitalist nation, but it seems many (not all) H-1B are treated like second class resident.
2.) Is it right that their dependents cannot work? Reinforcing the second class resident idea?
3.) Is it right that they have to wait for their green card to be sponsored by their company?

Considering that all of the above is true of the current program, it seems as though these people are almost treated as slaves or indentured servants to these companies. How can a free US resident or worker be expected to compete against an indentured servant?
1) That is correct.
Bear in mind, there is a set of requirement from ICE for the company to hire foreigners.
A. The company should post an advertisement of the job opportunity in 3 renowned media. If there is an American citizen who has more credentials apply for the job, by law the company has to hire the American citizen. This is one requirement ICE creates in order to prevent the companies to hire non-US citizens and give priority to US citizens.
Now HOW these companies override this rule and go straight in hiring the foreigner is up to them.
B. There is a fee that the companies have to pay the government for issuing H1-B visas.
C. ICE also requires the company to pay these non-US citizen workers certain amount of salary commensurate to their education and experience. All the paperwork has to be submitted and notarized.

FYI lots of companies hesitant to hire non-US citizens because of these requirements.

2) Dependents cannot work - that is correct.

3) Yes they have to wait, but it is not as easy as filling up a piece of paper. Please refer to answer #1. Again the company has to follow arduous requirements and hefty fee to sponsor the individual. Most company won't even do so. (Also consider that companies are not stupid. They know that once these peeps get their greencard, they can freely leave the job and apply for another jobs anywhere in the US. Hence, the company usually make a contract with them that bind the worker to the company for x amount of years; Hence sealing the deal of that job position to this H1B-soon-to-be-greencard-holder worker)

Yes in some ways, these H1B workers will have some fear instilled within them that if they don't do what their boss told them, they could be kicked out from the job and the country.

So why do these companies consider US-graduate foreigners as job candidates?
Most companies which choose to take this route in hiring non-US citizens probably either cannot find suitable US-citizens candidates or they decide somewhat hiring foreigners is still more beneficial fr the companies than hiring locals.

A good example is the company I work for.
There is just simply not enough US citizens who are up to pars.
Why?
There are alot of people wants to work in the company I work for. Competition is fierce!
Hence the company creates requirements, which unfortunately can mostly be filled up by US-graduate foreigners.
1. The company of course only hiring candidates with engineering / science background. Alot of US citizens are not willing to go through the hard path of science / engineering.
2. In addition, due to the economic recession and competitiveness of the market, the company only hires those with engineering undergraduate degree equipped with equivalent graduate degrees (M.S.. PhD or MBA) from ivy leagues and/or top ten schools based on renowned publications. If you graduate from Keiser college or Univ. of Phoenix - forget it. You get your MBA from where? If it is not from Wharton of UPenn, maybe I will consider you later. State University? Depending on what state university that is on the U.S. NEWS top universities in the fields. I work in PA, and they fly candidates from Stanford and CalTech, and neglect local candidates from Penn State. If you have connections in the company, that is another story of course.
(Off Topic: For all jobless people out there, please do not consider taking MBA "just because" unless it is from an ivy league school or top 10 schools. Not only will it hurt you financially, it will not help you to advance in your career since MBA graduates are dime a dozen nowadays)

Most of my co workers who has H1B status come to this country as international students. Since their sole purpose going to America were to study, they were more studious back then in school. While the American students partied in the weekends, they studied. While the American students went to Cancun for the Summer, they did unpaid internship / co-op. This of course gave them a better chance to land a job.

So after blabbering for half an hour, I agree and disagree with you.
Yes, US citizens will have more competitions since companies consider US-graduated foreigners (they RARELY hire somebody from say;India with a degree from Indian's univ. and fly them to the US).
HOWEVER US citizens have an advantage over these foreigners since ICE gives some restrictions / guidelines for the companies to follow in hiring foreigners. The only thing that US citizens; that is your children and mine, have to do in order to get better than these foreigners is to WORK HARD.

Source:
I know all these too well because I witnessed them with my own eyes.
I was fortunate enough to grow up in a strict 2nd generation asian family who knows how it feels to be foreigners. They told me that either I go to engineering / law / medical schools and EXCEL in it, or they wont pay for my tuition. I painfully picked engineering. My real calling? Dancing and singing in Broadway musicals - but that's another story.
I went to top-five engineering schools both for my B.S and my M.S. (different schools). As I went to my junior and then senior years, there were less and less (caucasians and african americans) US citizens in the class. I hope I am not being racist; just stating the fact. Most of them dropped out and decided to go to management or humanity. (Note: most companies mostly sponsor H1-B for occupation related to engineer / science. They rarely sponsor H1B in the bussiness / management fields - let alone history, humanity, etc etc)
My junior and senior level classes mostly (85% to 90%) consisted of Asian Americans, Indian Americans, Jewish and foreigners.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 10-20-2013 at 01:14 AM..

Old 10-20-2013, 01:23 AM

uh oh I just realized there has been an extensive discussion on this thread. HA HA So if I was responding to the OP's question and you guys had gone way after it, I apologize!

Old 10-20-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannadiga View Post

How do I know? I'm on H1B. Standing in the "line for green card" for past 7 years. There are minor inconveniences with being on a H1B visa but all in all, I've been living cheerfully in this great country for the past 10 years.

P.S - I'm not going to reply to any racist and xenophobic rants. I have better things to do in my life.
Kanna, I hope you get your greencard soon.
I suppose you come from a country that has alot of applicants such as China / India / Phillipines.
Two of my friends from China got their greencards the past months after 8 years. I was honored when they share this info with me. It seems to me that 8 is a lucky number! I hope you get it in your 8th year!

Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 AM

@asiandudeyo

Companies are not required to seek American talent first. This was actually a big problem in April 2013 when congress was trying to reform immigration. Several senators wanted a clause in the bill that required companies to seek local (American) talent first, but Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerburg didn't like it.

Here is a petition for requiring companies to seek American talent first:
Support the Deparment of Justice in Defending the American Way

Senators even ask Microsoft why they wont look for american talent first:
Notables Who Know - Bright Future Jobs

But as of right now, companies that are not 50% guest workers are allowed to hire who ever they want for what ever reason they want.

Beyond that, you say American students are not as good? Nowhere does it say companies should get who ever they want for what ever reason they want. American's are going to be here for a life time, and the American government invested in these kids that can't find jobs. America should be collecting on her investment not in sourcing.

My boyfriend has a very similar background to you. His family came to the US and obtained their citizenship 3 years ago. He received his BS one year ago. He did excel, did internships, and worked in a research lab. He got a job a few months ago, but when he was looking companies would tell him "well the salary is low, but at least you get to stay in the US", or they would ask him if he needed sponsorship and when he said no they would blacklist him. I even watched Intel ask him his GPA, then ask him if he needed sponsored, then hand him back his resume and tell him his GPA wasn't good enough. It was 0.002 below their requirement, but what does sponsorship have to do with? Point being, this program hurts our immigrants too. Immigrants like you.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:24 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,586,259 times
Please see answers (bold).

Quote:
Reading my previous threads, you will notice that I am not a fan of the H-1B guest worker program.

But, I have done more probing into this topic. And have some specific questions about it.

1.) Is it right that an H-1B worker is sponsored by a company? That all the control is in the companies hands? These workers cannot easily quit and work somewhere better, or somewhere with better pay? This is SUPPOSED to be a capitalist nation, but it seems many (not all) H-1B are treated like second class resident. --> true. H1Bs can't get a second job or any other income either.
2.) Is it right that their dependents cannot work? Reinforcing the second class resident idea? --> this is also correct.
3.) Is it right that they have to wait for their green card to be sponsored by their company? --> yes, and this takes long painful years. for some groups, sometimes more than a decade.

Considering that all of the above is true of the current program, it seems as though these people are almost treated as slaves or indentured servants to these companies. How can a free US resident or worker be expected to compete against an indentured servant?
The usual answer you'd get is "no one forced them to come". There is more sympathy for illegal aliens than law-abiding legal immigrants.

The person affirming that American talent is behind foreign citizens is mistaken. Jobs must be offered in newspapers and reputable media for a period of time before foreign citizens can actually apply and get them. And they must get the same salary an American would receive. This is the law. USCIS website has more information.

Glad to read that Kannadiga has had such a great time on H1B, but his/her case is rare. Legal immigrants have many restrictions and H4 dependents can only stay home or maybe study (but again, they cannot receive federal aid or even private loans except with US cosigners etc. etc. etc...)

Information is important. Usually anti H1B workers do not know what are they talking about and they reject hard working people that only want a better life for them and their families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Kanna, I hope you get your greencard soon.
I suppose you come from a country that has alot of applicants such as China / India / Phillipines.
Two of my friends from China got their greencards the past months after 8 years. I was honored when they share this info with me. It seems to me that 8 is a lucky number! I hope you get it in your 8th year!
Usually those 8 years are for ROW (rest of the world) workers. People from China, India, Phillipines, etc. have to wait for a much longer period of time. Just google it.

Quote:
I don't think H-1B's are allowed to bring their parents, only their spouse and child.
Correct. H1Bs and their families cannot get stamps or those entitlement benefits either. They are not the ones "milking the system"...

Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
USCIS website has more information.
Could you please post the direct link? The one that says that a company must look for a US worker first?

As said, I am anti-guest worker. I think that people MIGHT have more sympathy if these people were immigrants, but they are not. They are guests, and they are brought in by companies who claim that American STEM workers suck. Why would Americans have sympathy?

Old 10-20-2013, 11:40 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,586,259 times
This forum is full of USCIS links and google is always helpful. Start here and have fun: USCIS Home Page

I bet the search option will be useful too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration