Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should companies be allowed to sponsor a guest worker, or should the worker sponsor themselves?
The guest worker should be in control and sponsor his or her guest worker status. 12 63.16%
Companies should be in control and sponsor guest worker status 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 10:50 PM

850 posts, read 1,030,323 times

Advertisements

TipTop, I also am not German or Japanese but I have tremendous respect for their societal discipline and technical abilities. It is my understanding that German demand for skilled labor exceeds domestic supply. Perhaps there is something to be learned in how Germany "imports" techies vs the US? I view Germany as a country that is becoming even better and the US as a country that is not - in decline.

I am definitely not saying Indian or Chinese engineering is on par *overall* compared to 1st tier countries but their populations are so large that for every 7 weak engineers they graduate there will be 2 decent engineers and 1 excellent one. I'll estimate that the US ratio is 4 - 4 - 2 excellent but the total # of graduates is so much lower so the US is behind. How will things be like 10, 20, 30 years from now? Will conditions in India and China improve and their brain drain slows?

I have met many talented Indian engineers - mostly US educated. There seems to be quite a few exceedingly capable and highly placed Indians in Silicon Valley - many are IIT graduates. Perhaps the best leave India?

Non-US universities seem to be closing the gap compared to the US. Overall US work ethic is relatively weak and labor cost high. How can the US stay on top? I can see why more US companies go the H1b route to delay eventual defeat.

I am a US citizen with a mech. engineering degree but now work in software.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 05:24 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,712,921 times
Companies benefit from H-1B visa program as employees will not frequently change companies for better offers as their visa status(future in America) is tied down to their visa and company. They dont have to worry about giving them a raise every year. For US, benefits are all in Consumer Spending. We get more people to spend money- right from Visa fees, apartment rentals, cars, insurance, food. We get more people to spend money in our country.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:50 AM

444 posts, read 822,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
Listen. I do not have a drop of German or Japanese blood. But if German or Japanese will start talk about how they are superior engineers what I can say to them if I see theirs cars and other machinery, plus if I see theirs Nobel prices. But Indians talk about itself like superior engineers and scientist? In what is yours capability? In use of proper English. Even today bridges in India are designed by British engineers. Ford, GM, GE, Intel, de Walt, Milwaukee vs what in India? Compare Tata vs BMW and Lexus. And it is difference between German and Japanese engineers ws Indians. And it is 10 times more Indians engineers then Germans and Japanese.
Bangladesh, India's neighbor and country Infosys likes to recruit from, build factories that crumble. I hope these "best and brightest people" have no control over buildings in the US. They might add fillers to our concrete too.

FYI everyone, TATA is freaking EVIL. They also own a staffing agency in the US and this companies has been caught so many times for preferential hiring, and they definitely pay below average.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM

444 posts, read 822,736 times
@DFWgal YOU ARE WRONG! IT IS NOT ON THE USICS SITE!

Called the USCIS hotline this morning. They do not deal with H-1B program related issues, other than documenting the H-1B worker.

Local talent coming first is under jurisdiction of the department of labor: http://www.dol.gov/dol/contact/
Today, I called the DOL hotline: 1-866-487-2365

Seeking local talent is a STATE issue, not a FEDERAL issue.

ACCORDING THE THE FEDERAL DOL: COMPANIES ARE NOT REQUIRED TO SEEK LOCAL TALENT. THEY ARE ALLOWED TO HIRE WHO EVER THEY WANT FOR WHATEVER REASON THEY WANT AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT VIOLATE EEO. EVEN THEN, IT IS ON THE PERSON WHO WAS DISCRIMINATED AGAINST TO PROVE THEY WERE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST. THERE IS NO PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT FOR US CITIZENS OR GC HOLDERS.

If you don't believe me, call the DOL.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,364,302 times
if h1b visa holders were allowed to file for their GC themselves in, say, 3 years after working in the US (like canada)--instead of waiting for their employers to file for it after 6 or more years (without even the guarantee that they would)--wouldn't it decrease the percentages of fraudulent marriages to US citizens/LPRs just so they could get their greencards more quickly?

i would really vote for letting h1b visa holders file for the greencards themselves. hopefully within 3 years of employment too, not 6 or more years. but because US employment is more congested than in canada, i can see where that possibility of any of that happening is nil.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 AM

472 posts, read 517,072 times
Quote:
And what is purpose of Asian, Indian and Jew engineers? What you was capable to build in yours own countries? My hat down if you are Japanese or Korean. Rest incapable and not useful. I'm sure if you put 1000 engineers of that kind nothing useful will not happen. I know you all from my construction business. Only capability that I give to you is cheat at payment.
This kinda posts makes me wonder if the world's opinion of american's being brash & uninformed is all but true. Asiandudeyo clearly mentions his mates as asian-americans, indian-americans but if people still hold onto the pre-civil war notion of only whites being considered as americans then it shows depravity of mind more than anything else. Your heritage shouldn't determine your citizenship. By that yardstick, I'm sure all but the native americans should be categorized as 'europeans'.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
many are described at Fox news.
Fox news as a source for information. Best of luck!!!

Old 10-22-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
I arrived at this conclusion by reading the India US Tax Treaty and the Double Taxation Agreement. I'm not sure if you have ever lived in a US state that you didn't work it. For example, my mom lives in WV but works in OH. When she started he job, she filed out a W-9 and similar documents for Ohio. At the end of the year, she fills out her tax documents and claims residence in WV. The states transfer money between themselves. According to the Tax Treaties, you yourself will never see this money. It's just part of the agreement the US has with foreign nations. Federal tax for most nations is basically a citizenship tax, how do you think people can just go back to their home countries and not be prosecuted for tax fraud? The treaties take care of it.
Pls point to the document/section from where you deduced this understanding. Its my strong belief that you've taken a intra-US taxation treaty and applied it @ a country level. The double taxation is a lot of things but not what you make out of it.

What the treaty in essence is to avoid the scenario by which a person isn't taxed twice.

Chapter II of the Indian Income tax act is also quite clear on this whereby a non-resident Indian shall be taxed only on the income earned in India.

Quote:
My point is comparable to buying a car. When you are buying a car, you go to several car dealers and you try to get the best price for the car that you can. Joe not being able to "company shop" or "salary shop" because the H-1B visa is a company visa, not an immigrant visa (and the GC sponsorship issue) means that Joe could be getting paid more at another company, and it's not fair to American or H-1B workers that H-1B workers can't salary shop.

H-1B workers get the promise of GC's, so they can justify working in conditions that they may not be that happy with. If we are going to open our doors, the relationship should be between the government and the guest worker, minus the company. And that the guest worker should be free to shop for the best thing they are qualified for, without fearing deportation just like their American counter parts. They should also be able to sponsor their own GC.

(If anyone would tell me why deportation is such a big deal to an H-1B worker, I'd appreciate it.)
I agree H1b is restrictive but to demean the users of the visa or to paint it as the demon whose 'good riddance' shall somehow give the 'glory days' back to the avg 'american' joe is wishful thinking @ best.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
@DFWgal YOU ARE WRONG! IT IS NOT ON THE USICS SITE!

Called the USCIS hotline this morning. They do not deal with H-1B program related issues, other than documenting the H-1B worker.

Local talent coming first is under jurisdiction of the department of labor: http://www.dol.gov/dol/contact/
Today, I called the DOL hotline: 1-866-487-2365

Seeking local talent is a STATE issue, not a FEDERAL issue.

ACCORDING THE THE FEDERAL DOL: COMPANIES ARE NOT REQUIRED TO SEEK LOCAL TALENT. THEY ARE ALLOWED TO HIRE WHO EVER THEY WANT FOR WHATEVER REASON THEY WANT AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT VIOLATE EEO. EVEN THEN, IT IS ON THE PERSON WHO WAS DISCRIMINATED AGAINST TO PROVE THEY WERE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST. THERE IS NO PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT FOR US CITIZENS OR GC HOLDERS.

If you don't believe me, call the DOL.
It looks like you are on a crusade against the H1b program. Why are you so bitter against the program? Did it personally affect you?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:19 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,475,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Foreign workers on H-1B visas pay Taxes, SS, Medicare as US nationals. Infact their tax refund if any is much less then citizens. US do not have to return their tax dollars. Foreign nationals have to contribute towards SS, Medicare and they are not eligible to get it back unless they become citizens. So US is gaining tax dollars from them-not losing.

^^^^^

This is so sad:crying :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration