Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should companies be allowed to sponsor a guest worker, or should the worker sponsor themselves?
The guest worker should be in control and sponsor his or her guest worker status. 12 63.16%
Companies should be in control and sponsor guest worker status 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:51 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
^^^^^

This is so sad:crying :
Not sad. There is nothing wrong in that. I made that point because some person posted that H-1B workers do not pay tax which is a blatant lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Reading my previous threads, you will notice that I am not a fan of the H-1B guest worker program.

But, I have done more probing into this topic. And have some specific questions about it.

1.) Is it right that an H-1B worker is sponsored by a company? That all the control is in the companies hands? These workers cannot easily quit and work somewhere better, or somewhere with better pay? This is SUPPOSED to be a capitalist nation, but it seems many (not all) H-1B are treated like second class resident.
2.) Is it right that their dependents cannot work? Reinforcing the second class resident idea?
3.) Is it right that they have to wait for their green card to be sponsored by their company?

Considering that all of the above is true of the current program, it seems as though these people are almost treated as slaves or indentured servants to these companies. How can a free US resident or worker be expected to compete against an indentured servant?
You think H-1Bs are bad, look up L-1 visas.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:53 PM

444 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisDamnLife View Post
It looks like you are on a crusade against the H1b program. Why are you so bitter against the program? Did it personally affect you?
Yes, this program personally affects me and those around me. On a weekly basis I am contacted by several employers that ask me if I am authorized to work in the USA. After saying that I am authorized to work in the US for any employer, they hang up on me and stop communicating with me all together. I have a good friend who has the same background as me, and became a US citizen 3 years ago. Often the employers that contacted me, find this person and ask them if they are authorized to work in the US, and then black list them as well. This person has even been told "at least you get to stay in the US after you graduate" by employers.

I have been told by a few employers that I do not want the job they have for a variety of reasons, but even after they said those things I still want the job. I told them I still wanted the job, but they didn't care. Recently, I called a company to follow up on my application. I spoke to the HR Manager. She told me they were not hiring, but their website said they were. I told her about the positions on her website that I was qualified for, and she pretended to not speak english.

The way this program is currently set up, it allows companies to discriminate against US citizens and GC in preference of the "guest worker". I used to think that this program was a good idea because it allowed brilliant people to work in the US. After all, this country was founded on immigrants. But, companies are now discriminating against the type of immigrant that made this country strong and US citizens.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Pls point to the document/section from where you deduced this understanding. Its my strong belief that you've taken a intra-US taxation treaty and applied it @ a country level. The double taxation is a lot of things but not what you make out of it.

What the treaty in essence is to avoid the scenario by which a person isn't taxed twice.

Chapter II of the Indian Income tax act is also quite clear on this whereby a non-resident Indian shall be taxed only on the income earned in India.
There are a few of them. Here is one:

India - Tax Treaty Documents

Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 PM

472 posts, read 515,296 times
Quote:
There are a few of them. Here is one:

India - Tax Treaty Documents
I was reading this doc y'day but I haven't found - yet - the section/para based on which you are making your argument. If you know the exact section/para, pls let me know. I'm intrigued to know more

Old 10-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I was reading this doc y'day but I haven't found - yet - the section/para based on which you are making your argument. If you know the exact section/para, pls let me know. I'm intrigued to know more
Article 25, Article 28, Article 30, and Article 31.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:57 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Yes, this program personally affects me and those around me. On a weekly basis I am contacted by several employers that ask me if I am authorized to work in the USA. After saying that I am authorized to work in the US for any employer, they hang up on me and stop communicating with me all together. I have a good friend who has the same background as me, and became a US citizen 3 years ago. Often the employers that contacted me, find this person and ask them if they are authorized to work in the US, and then black list them as well. This person has even been told "at least you get to stay in the US after you graduate" by employers. .
Slowly but surely we are getting to the bottom here. Are you talking about an actual employer or recruiter/in IT mostly headhunter?

Quote:
I have been told by a few employers that I do not want the job they have for a variety of reasons, but even after they said those things I still want the job. I told them I still wanted the job, but they didn't care. Recently, I called a company to follow up on my application. I spoke to the HR Manager. She told me they were not hiring, but their website said they were. I told her about the positions on her website that I was qualified for, and she pretended to not speak english..
The employer has bench positions posted. How many nag-nag calls do you think HR gets from applicants who think they are qualified and who get argumentative on the phone? Unless it was a small company you did not speak with the HR Manager.

Quote:
The way this program is currently set up, it allows companies to discriminate against US citizens and GC in preference of the "guest worker". I used to think that this program was a good idea because it allowed brilliant people to work in the US. After all, this country was founded on immigrants. But, companies are now discriminating against the type of immigrant that made this country strong and US citizens.
You do not get the job you think you should get. Naturally it is discrimination!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:27 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,688 times
Quote:

funny how when i was looking for a different employer to work for--and i was already in the US for a couple of years working as h1b holder--NO ONE WANTED ME BECAUSE I WASN'T A CITIZEN OR GC HOLDER. it wasn't because i lacked the education/skills/experience (heck i couldnt get to the US without those). they simply didnt want the hassle of filing the h1b for me.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:08 AM

472 posts, read 515,296 times
Quote:
Yes, this program personally affects me and those around me. On a weekly basis I am contacted by several employers that ask me if I am authorized to work in the USA. After saying that I am authorized to work in the US for any employer, they hang up on me and stop communicating with me all together. I have a good friend who has the same background as me, and became a US citizen 3 years ago. Often the employers that contacted me, find this person and ask them if they are authorized to work in the US, and then black list them as well. This person has even been told "at least you get to stay in the US after you graduate" by employers.

I have been told by a few employers that I do not want the job they have for a variety of reasons, but even after they said those things I still want the job. I told them I still wanted the job, but they didn't care. Recently, I called a company to follow up on my application. I spoke to the HR Manager. She told me they were not hiring, but their website said they were. I told her about the positions on her website that I was qualified for, and she pretended to not speak english.

Are these with big-name employers or with consulting companies? I don't know your location but if your in software engineering side startups are a v good as they generally don't have the lead up time/resources to hire h1b holders - even if cost is an advantage.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:22 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,151,288 times
Quote:

I think, this whole post is a pure BS. Seriously.

You don't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration