Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should companies be allowed to sponsor a guest worker, or should the worker sponsor themselves?
The guest worker should be in control and sponsor his or her guest worker status. 12 63.16%
Companies should be in control and sponsor guest worker status 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:32 PM

472 posts, read 515,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Article 25, Article 28, Article 30, and Article 31.
candycane. After going through the quote sections, my understanding stands the same. The pact when seen from the perspective of an indian citizen, only provides them relief from being taxed for their income in the US & vice-versa. There's no talk of money being exchanged between the governments. If that was the case, they would definitely 've a section or a separate pact on how these monies will be calculated & exchanged (think forex!!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 01:07 PM

444 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Slowly but surely we are getting to the bottom here. Are you talking about an actual employer or recruiter/in IT mostly headhunter?
An actual employer.

Quote:
The employer has bench positions posted. How many nag-nag calls do you think HR gets from applicants who think they are qualified and who get argumentative on the phone? Unless it was a small company you did not speak with the HR Manager.
Most companies I apply to have 50-250 people. I also have emails from places giving the title of the person I am speaking with, and it says "Human Resource Manger". I'm sure that they do get nag-nag calls. But there is a professional way to deal with the conversation other than pretending you don't speak English, or to tell someone they don't want to work at your company. One lady said "We have trouble finding people that have hands on experience with X", and I said "I have a lot hands on experience with X." and she continued to tell me I didn't want to work there. Worse yet, I contacted a HR Manager about an entry level position they said I wasn't qualified for, but that same person contacted my roommate that had less exp than me for a more senior position. Told her she would be a great fit, and an exact match, until she said she didn't need sponsored.

Quote:
You do not get the job you think you should get. Naturally it is discrimination!
I've talked to the EEOC and a lawyer. I do have a discrimination case, if I wanted to file one.

There is currently a discrimination case going on right now regarding this very issue. And it's becoming a class action.
US IT worker files hiring lawsuit against Infosys - Computerworld

Also, IBM was fined for discriminatory job postings.
IBM fined $44,000 for discriminatory job listings | PCWorld

Old 10-24-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I think, this whole post is a pure BS. Seriously.

You don't make sense.
What part doesn't make sense?

Old 10-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
funny how when i was looking for a different employer to work for--and i was already in the US for a couple of years working as h1b holder--NO ONE WANTED ME BECAUSE I WASN'T A CITIZEN OR GC HOLDER. it wasn't because i lacked the education/skills/experience (heck i couldnt get to the US without those). they simply didnt want the hassle of filing the h1b for me.
Isn't transferring an H-1B more difficult than starting a new one?

Old 10-24-2013, 01:58 PM

472 posts, read 515,225 times
Quote:
Procedurally both are same except that starting a new one always is difficult 'coz of the yearly numerical limits unless the employer is a govt/non-profit org.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 PM

752 posts, read 1,165,305 times
I do not know why you are angry at Candychanechick. I heard other complains about Indian competition in USA at Dice.com etc.. No reason to not believe her and them. Lets go return back all those Indians that take jobs from US IT workers. I would say lets go return all Indians and Chinese that come here at tourist visas and apply at US universities too. Second one are engaged in criminal activities. Hence they should be improved. I can help improvement of some Indians in my construction company.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,688 times
Quote:
no such thing as transferring of h1bs. you end your status once you end your employment with the sponsoring employer, then start the process all over again with the new one. although from what i understood from my immigration lawyer was that since i was already in the US, the filing of the h1b was exempt from the cap. that's what i understood. i could be wrong though

Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
no such thing as transferring of h1bs. you end your status once you end your employment with the sponsoring employer, then start the process all over again with the new one. although from what i understood from my immigration lawyer was that since i was already in the US, the filing of the h1b was exempt from the cap. that's what i understood. i could be wrong though
One can transfer H-1B from one company to other. Many software consultancies have done that in the past. Infact many companies now prefer transferred candidates so that they do not have to pay high fees of lawyer, filing although some fees is still there in that case also. Also it has nothing to do with you being in USA so you will be exempt from the cap. Are you working in some University or non-profit, then you may be exempt from the cap. Otherwise whether inside or from outside USA, you may be subject to the cap.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:27 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
One can transfer H-1B from one company to other. Many software consultancies have done that in the past. Infact many companies now prefer transferred candidates so that they do not have to pay high fees of lawyer, filing although some fees is still there in that case also. Also it has nothing to do with you being in USA so you will be exempt from the cap. Are you working in some University or non-profit, then you may be exempt from the cap. Otherwise whether inside or from outside USA, you may be subject to the cap.
no, i work in for-profit healthcare. i may not have been aware of it being under the cap, but my lawyer somehow explained to me that my case didnt have to be in the cap since i was already in the US. it may as well have been a transfer, but it certainly didnt feel like that to me

Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM

zilam98: It's really funny how many faces this issue has. I believe that companies (as a whole) are not hiring you because they don't want to deal with the visa, will not hiring me because they want to sponsor someone.

I think there is a lot of discrimination on both sides of this fence. The best place to see it is the news. One day there is an news articles attack American's and the next they are attacking the guest workers. The guest worker program is utter chaos. Is there a shortage? Is there an over supply? Do American workers suck? Do foreign workers suck? It's all lies.

What worse, no one is sorting though the CRAP. I mean one field may have a shortage where another doesn't. One city may have an over supply, but another has a shortage. Companies don't like paying relocation anymore. Even if the company pays relo, I know plenty of people that paid a million dollars for a house that's currently worth 500k.

Personally, I believe if we made "guest workers" "free agents" like eg green card holders, companies would still have the same problems. And for many of the employers, I think they should realize that if they were "fair", no one in their right mind would work for them for what they offer. For example, if the "body shop" worker knew he wouldn't be deported IMMEDIATELY and could look for another job, would he still work 60+ hours week? Would he still work for that low salary? And if company X realized that there is no one that graduated with a BS in the last 6 months that has 5 years of experience, would they stop posting stupid job descriptions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration