Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 05:52 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
One of my neighbors was from CHINA. This guy was in his 40's, he always had something to say about other races of people. He walked around with a straight-faced look, always had a serious expression.
I am assuming that he brought some of his "issues" that he had back in CHINA to good ol' USA. I am assuming that it's like this for many immigrants that have to do what they have to do to get ahead in America.
Wow, you had a neighbor from China, so all immigrants from China must be like that.

You are assuming way too much. (Are you 12 years old?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
Many immigrants don't know what real America is about, they think it's just like where they came from when many of them choose to live around one another, when people like me who is an AMERICAN born and raised know what America is and know that it is normal to have friends of different cultures and races.
Please enlighten us as to what "(the) real America" is about, given that this country is so huge and diverse in so many ways (and I'm not talking only about race/ethnicity).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 09:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
This is really a rather bizarre thread since Americans (i.e. those who were born here) tend to generally put a lot of stock into where their forebears originated, proudly proclaiming themselves as "Irish American", "German American", "Anglo American", "Afro American" and a whole slew of inbetweens who get stuck on this "I'm 1/4 this, 1/4 that, 1/3 another with some others mixed in there somewhere" - most of whom have never even visited the countries from which their forebears came.

You're American. Be proud of it and deal with it and get over it. America was founded as a cultural mix and forever will be. You'll be far less concerned with the cultural differences between new immigrant citizens and your "old" standing as an American if you learn to at least make an attempt to embrace and make some effort to understand the differences whether they encompass culture, color or religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration