Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:36 AM

347 posts, read 492,080 times

Advertisements

and notice now as an adult that there are BIG differences, especially in terms of MENTALITY, between those born in america and those of your ethnicity born in your home country???

can you name some???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,446,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
and notice now as an adult that there are BIG differences, especially in terms of MENTALITY, between those born in america and those of your ethnicity born in your home country???

can you name some???
I am not sure I understand the question. Needs lots of reformulation and clarification.

I am a foreign-born, naturalized American citizen, and yes - I see a ton of difference in mentality/behavior/attitudes, etc. between the American-born and those born-and-raised elsewhere.

It's called "culture". Not brain surgery.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 PM

347 posts, read 492,080 times
One of my neighbors was from CHINA. This guy was in his 40's, he always had something to say about other races of people. He walked around with a straight-faced look, always had a serious expression.
I am assuming that he brought some of his "issues" that he had back in CHINA to good ol' USA. I am assuming that it's like this for many immigrants that have to do what they have to do to get ahead in America.

Many immigrants don't know what real America is about, they think it's just like where they came from when many of them choose to live around one another, when people like me who is an AMERICAN born and raised know what America is and know that it is normal to have friends of different cultures and races.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:36 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
As self proclaimed American born and raised knowing what America is - please tell me what is it?

Old 11-20-2013, 01:39 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,902,478 times
It is normal for immigrants to build common language/culture communities to help each other out. Eventually, they fade away as them and their children become more and more assimilated and move elsewhere. It isn't because they are all xenophobic and racist idiots, it is just a practical thing to do when possible. Your neighbor was a racist POS, but doesn't mean all Chinese or immigrants are.

There are plenty of born and bred Americans that are racist and xenophobic. Thankfully not the majority.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:52 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,427,301 times
I was born in Chicago. My parents were born in another country and moved to the U.S.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:20 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,793 times
Born in Sweden (I know, who would have thought?! ), and sure I know quite a few other Swedes in my area (we hang out very rarely, though), but we never speak Swedish together. It's just too much work switching back and forth.

But syracusa has it right - it's called being from different cultures, and thus having different views on things is kind of expected. But, keep in mind that many of us "non-American born" are not from poor countries, and so we're not "carrying baggage" from our home countries.

And unfortunately (and this is something the US is actually known for) many of the natural-born citizens of this country are not very educated in the ways of life in different parts of the country. I have travelled a lot, and normal life here in Alaska is different from normal life in say NYC or Arizona (the ice storm today for example - had to shut down my studio, grrr - not happening in Phoenix very often, lucky bums ).

Old 11-30-2013, 05:04 PM

671 posts, read 854,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I am not sure I understand the question. Needs lots of reformulation and clarification.

I am a foreign-born, naturalized American citizen, and yes - I see a ton of difference in mentality/behavior/attitudes, etc. between the American-born and those born-and-raised elsewhere.

It's called "culture". Not brain surgery.
You are not American born. I think that you misunderstood the questions.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:23 PM

671 posts, read 854,914 times
Quote:

can you name some???
American culture is very overwhelming and pervasive. It is not easy to maintain a foreign culture in the United States unless you live in an isolated community or at least live with large amounts of people from your home country. There will be many differences. Some will be good and some will be bad.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:33 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
One of my neighbors was from CHINA. This guy was in his 40's, he always had something to say about other races of people. He walked around with a straight-faced look, always had a serious expression.
I am assuming that he brought some of his "issues" that he had back in CHINA to good ol' USA. I am assuming that it's like this for many immigrants that have to do what they have to do to get ahead in America.

Many immigra what real America is about, they think it's just like where they came from when many of them choose to live around one another, when people like me who is an AMERICAN born and raised know what America is and know that it is normal to have friends of different cultures and races.
Have you ever traveled outside your community? lol
You obviously don't know allot of immigrants other than your racist Chinese neighbor. But you do making it sound like if you are AMERICAN born and raised you are the most open minded and least racist people on earth...Because you know what America is!

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 11-30-2013 at 09:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration