Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,095 times

Advertisements

Hallo everybody!

My name is Peter, I am 23 years old and live in Munich, Germany.

I want to live this summer for 3 months in Los Angeles and I am looking for a student job for this time, it doesn t matter what!

I go to university (real estate management), 6th semester and want to get better in English!

Can anybody help me?
I would be insanely grateful!

Best regards from Germany,
Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 02:06 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
B-2 tourist visa holders cannot work in the US

F-1 visa students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions.

Students and Employment | USCIS

Sorry

Old 02-02-2014, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,095 times
okay thank you!

What about a practical training?

Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
Training in English language?

Very inexpensive:
ESL

Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 AM

176 posts, read 299,943 times
No company or lets say most businesses won't employ you if you don't have a work permit. your best bet would be working on a minimum wage at a restaurant or something...however take in mind if you get caught working without a working permit you will get ur asss whipped by the police and they might kick you out of the country. Another option would be to volunteer somewhere, you won't get paid but at least you will get your English running. You might though need to get a volunteer visa. good luck.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:09 PM

8,327 posts, read 13,462,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adham View Post
however take in mind if you get caught working without a working permit you will get ur asss whipped by the police and they might kick you out of the country.
Wow, really? You must be confusing CA with AZ!

Quote:
Another option would be to volunteer somewhere, you won't get paid but at least you will get your English running. You might though need to get a volunteer visa. good luck.
Another option? His getting caught by the police and getting kicked out of the country was an option?
Good grief!

Peter, don't let them scare you. If more than 2 million illegals (probably 99% South Americans) can find full time jobs and make a life for themselves in this state, chances are police or the INS ain't going door-to-door or even busting business all that often.

You will only be here for 3 months so take a little risk and get a job that pays under-the-counter, meaning the employer will pay you cash, off the record. You could find jobs that way but they will not be fun or all that helpful to your goal of improving your English skills. The key is looking at small businesses with a foreign owner.

What you will need is a speaking based job, a job where you interact with people and talk a lot. Sales or customer service is your best bet. Find a German business owner who could at least hire you as an intern.
So, you will not be officially hired or paid but he might occasionally drop a few Benny on your table....ahem.

If you don't want to risk or unable to find a paying job, then yes, volunteer some place. May be a house-sitter or a caregiver type job where they can easily pay you cash and or give you a place to stay. With the expense out of the way, you could easily get by $1K you bring with you, if not even less.

Whether you get a job or not, find a lady friend. Someone who likes European guys so you can date her. If You are fugly, then at least you guys can be friends and chat a lot. You buy her a cheese burger and fries, she will show you around and chat your ears off. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one of those nutty chatty Cathys in LA.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:29 AM

938 posts, read 1,516,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterHoeger View Post
Hallo everybody!

My name is Peter, I am 23 years old and live in Munich, Germany.

I want to live this summer for 3 months in Los Angeles and I am looking for a student job for this time, it doesn t matter what!

I go to university (real estate management), 6th semester and want to get better in English!

Can anybody help me?
I would be insanely grateful!

Best regards from Germany,
Peter
Apply for a J-1 visa, it will allow you to work during the summer.

Summer Work Travel | Programs | J-1 Visa

Old 02-11-2014, 01:22 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,151,288 times
Employment

Working in the US | USCIS

Old 02-18-2014, 09:03 AM

534 posts, read 1,171,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

Peter, don't let them scare you. If more than 2 million illegals (probably 99% South Americans) can find full time jobs and make a life for themselves in this state, chances are police or the INS ain't going door-to-door or even busting business all that often.
No, but the vast majority of those illegals don't care if they get caught and sent back to their home country - because they'll simply re-enter illegally, again.

If the OP plans to come to the US for 3 months, I assume he'll come under the Visa Waiver program. That allows up to 3 months for people from countries which have essentially been deemed to not be a risk for entering illegally, to work/live here (i.e. Germany and most European counties can do this: Mexico and most African countries can not). It also allows these folks to bypass the normal procedure of going to the consulate in their home country and getting a visa.

In lieu of that interview with a consular officer, there are questions on the visa waiver form (I-94W) which they complete, sign, and give to the inspector upon arrival. One of them is "are you seeking employment..." If you answer 'no' and are subsequently determined to have done so falsely, you won't be able to use the VW program, and the chances are high that you won't even be allowed to secure an actual visa in the future.

That means that if the OP decided later on that he wants to be a J-1, F-1, or even gets a job offer from a US company that's willing to sponsor him for an H-1 visa, he'll likely be denied. The same applies if he actually secures a B-1/B-2 visa: he'll be asked at the consulate if he's coming to work.

And there are a myriad of ways to determine if he is seeking or sought work as a VW program participant besides being rounded up by immigration officials or being caught in the act of working.

As a young person, with an assumably-clean record and his whole future before him...if he has any future interest in living/working or even visiting the US down the road, it's really not worth the risk, especially if it's simply to "practice" English.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 6,085 times
You could do 'work and travel' sort of thing?

http://http://www.ciee.org/wat/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration