Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 03:42 PM

30 posts, read 78,051 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if it's the right forum for my topic, but I'll try it here.

My wife and I are in the process of political asylum case. We have passed our interview at the immigration office in January 2014, but still haven't got the decision from them.

So my question is can we travel to Hawaii via domestic airlines with expired visas in our foreign passports? I also have a valid MA ID. My wife's CA id has expired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 04:12 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
What may well be a sticking point is your wife's expired CA ID.

This link may help:

Passport Requirements to Fly to Hawaii | USA Today

I'd suggest you contact the immigration office handling your case.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
You won't need to deal with immigration flying state to state within the country.

If you fly a domestic flight into Hawai'i you will need an acceptable, currently valid government issued photo ID. Here is what TSA considers acceptable...

Acceptable IDs | Transportation Security Administration

From what you have described, you have an acceptable ID, your wife does not. You need to get that corrected before she can fly.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:26 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
In case of F-1 visa, I-20 is the document which determines your status in USA not the stamp on F-1 visa. A student friend of mine travelled to Honolulu recently but his F-1 visa was expired 4 years ago. His I-20 was valid though. As long as you have a valid I-20, it should not be a problem.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
In case of F-1 visa, I-20 is the document which determines your status in USA not the stamp on F-1 visa. A student friend of mine travelled to Honolulu recently but his F-1 visa was expired 4 years ago. His I-20 was valid though. As long as you have a valid I-20, it should not be a problem.

Our I-20 are expired. However we have I589 which are the proofs of our asylum case to be received.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You won't need to deal with immigration flying state to state within the country.

If you fly a domestic flight into Hawai'i you will need an acceptable, currently valid government issued photo ID. Here is what TSA considers acceptable...

Acceptable IDs | Transportation Security Administration

From what you have described, you have an acceptable ID, your wife does not. You need to get that corrected before she can fly.

My wife's US Id is expired, but she has her international government issued Russian passport, which is not expired. But her US visa in the passport is expired.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelivanov View Post
My wife's US Id is expired, but she has her international government issued Russian passport, which is not expired. But her US visa in the passport is expired.
If you read the link provided you'll see that her passport is fine as a form of acceptable ID.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:09 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Since you've said you're Russian in a previous post, maybe they might look at you more carefully now?

US Announces Visa Restrictions on Some Russians - ABC News

You could always drive to Key West if you want tropical

Old 03-06-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Since you've said you're Russian in a previous post, maybe they might look at you more carefully now?

US Announces Visa Restrictions on Some Russians - ABC News

You could always drive to Key West if you want tropical

The U.S. began imposing new visa restrictions on an unspecified and unidentified number of people and entities that the Obama administration accused of threatening Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial borders.

I have nothing to do with threatening Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial borders.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
As a foreign national, there are restrictions and requirements you must adhere to when traveling in the USA. You are seeking asylum, it probably is a very good example of character to start out by not doing anything contrary to what is lawful.

Documents that show your request for asylum have been received does not mean it has been approved as you know. Why jeopardize your request? Seemingly small things can make a difference between approval or disapproval and given how these things work, the smallest of affairs can lead to denial.

Value our country's laws and requirements, obtain the proper documents/ID necessary to travel or postpone those plans until you receive a decision on your request for asylum.

cbp.gov likely has the information you need and it is best to get information from an official source. That site is for US Border Protection, they can assist you.

travel.state.gov is another source you can try. When you applied for asylum, you also received (or should have) information explaining what restrictions, if any are imposed upon you while waiting for a decision. That information also contained pointers to official sources of information if you have any questions. Simply ask and information will be provided to you.

You are asking our country to help you, in turn repay that consideration by doing the right things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration