Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:24 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Use of the US passport is mandatory for US citizens when leaving and entering the US.
Yes, my kids have US passports. So do I. I also have a Canadian passport. It's not unusual. But I have to tell you, I've always used my Canadian passport for entering Canada and my US passport for entering the states. That's what everyone does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
1976:

A further point for "down the road " a bit.

Your children, when they are old enough will qualify to attend a Canadian University, as citizens. The cost at a University in Canada, compared to the same degree in the USA will be about half the cost, in dollars.

Why ? Canadian Universities are tax payer supported, so the costs are lower, overall. One qualifier, most Canadian Universities require a student to be a resident of Canada, to get " local rates ". Being a resident means physically being present in the Province where the University is located, for at least 12 months, before applying for admission.

Once your kids have their dual citizenship, they can move back and forth across the Canada / USA border, at will. Use the passport of the country that you are entering, and the other one when returning to the other country. Faster and no hassles, you are a citizen, on both sides, right ?

Jim B

Toronto.
Thanks Jim. Do have somewhere I can read up on this? My understanding is that it seems to have changed. I also thought there was a residency requirement but when I googled it this is all I could find.
And looking at the web sites for UBC, Ryerson, and McGill they have only a citizenship requirement for lower fees.
Fee Categories - Current Students - Ryerson University

2." WIll our Canadian citizen teenage son/daughter pay international student fees (very high), or Canadian fees (much lower)?
If your children are Canadian citizens, they pay local, Canadian fees, regardless if they were educated abroad and lived abroad prior to entry into a Canadian university. "
Returning to Canada - University and College preparation, application, and admission for Canadian Expatriates

It doesn't really matter to us as we will give our kids the choice of which country they would like attend school in but I would like to know the answer.

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Use of the US passport is mandatory for US citizens when leaving and entering the US.
I actually looked this up cause I wondered if I've been breaking the law this whole time

From the state dept
"Most foreign countries require a valid passport to enter and leave. Some countries may allow you to enter with only a birth certificate, or with a birth certificate and a driver’s license, but all persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling must present a valid passport to reenter the United States."

Traveler

Old 04-01-2014, 01:01 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,134,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Thanks Jim. Do have somewhere I can read up on this? My understanding is that it seems to have changed. I also thought there was a residency requirement but when I googled it this is all I could find.
And looking at the web sites for UBC, Ryerson, and McGill they have only a citizenship requirement for lower fees.
Fee Categories - Current Students - Ryerson University

2." WIll our Canadian citizen teenage son/daughter pay international student fees (very high), or Canadian fees (much lower)?
If your children are Canadian citizens, they pay local, Canadian fees, regardless if they were educated abroad and lived abroad prior to entry into a Canadian university. "
Returning to Canada - University and College preparation, application, and admission for Canadian Expatriates

It doesn't really matter to us as we will give our kids the choice of which country they would like attend school in but I would like to know the answer.

Thanks everyone!
I'm counting on this for my kids as admission to the top public universities is tough here in Texas with the 10% rule. Under $10k a year for UBC, McGill or Queens etc would be a fantasic option and likely our first choice in any event unless we're mistaken.

If you get a definitive answer somewhere please update.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:55 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
Clarification............

A Canadian University, for example in Manitoba, would give a reduced rate for those students who LIVE in that Province, compared to students who do not live there, but are Canadians. That was what I was taking about, in my previous post.

In Quebec, the tuition costs are the lowest in Canada, so attending an English language University such as McGill or Concordia, is the best deal. The problem is getting in, as the competition is super tough. Most courses require a 90 percent average, or higher.

My Wife was an administrative manager at the University of Toronto, for a number of years. The number of US students in the average graduating class is about 15 percent of the total . On the other hand the largest alumni club for the U of T is in Hong Kong. Go figure ?

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Clarification............

A Canadian University, for example in Manitoba, would give a reduced rate for those students who LIVE in that Province, compared to students who do not live there, but are Canadians. That was what I was taking about, in my previous post.

In Quebec, the tuition costs are the lowest in Canada, so attending an English language University such as McGill or Concordia, is the best deal. The problem is getting in, as the competition is super tough. Most courses require a 90 percent average, or higher.

My Wife was an administrative manager at the University of Toronto, for a number of years. The number of US students in the average graduating class is about 15 percent of the total . On the other hand the largest alumni club for the U of T is in Hong Kong. Go figure ?

Jim B

Toronto.
Gotcha, thank you! The Hong Kong club doesn't surprise me. When I graduated from boarding school near Toronto in 1994 about 20% of my class were from Hong Kong and for some reason most of them went to U of T.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 AM

481 posts, read 666,344 times
hml1976: Have you started the process? I am Canada citizen then US citizen. All my three kids are canadian citizen. Here is the form you need CIT 0001. And the process now is so simple. I used to do it with consulate in person but they don't do it anymore. The whole process takes about 3 months (my first child took 10 months and now they speed up the process).

Old 05-17-2014, 11:49 PM

681 posts, read 2,801,651 times
Just going through this process myself. I am a Canadian citizen but living in the US. My child was born here.

Have to fill out CIT 0001, provide certified copies of birth certificate, proof of parent's citizen status at the time of birth and citizenship photos.

Right now the website says it's taking 6 months to process and a fee of $75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration