Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:15 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,033 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I'm not sure if anyone on this forum can help me but I thought I would give it try

I am a dual American-Canadian citizen living in the states. I was born in the US but lived my whole childhood in Canada and became a citizen when I was a young teenager.

My husband (who is American) and I adopted our two children (when they were infants) internationally as Americans. They are 7 & 10 and American citizens. It is my understanding that they are eligible as my children for Canadian citizenship but I can't figure out where to start.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 PM

320 posts, read 480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Hey all,
I'm not sure if anyone on this forum can help me but I thought I would give it try

I am a dual American-Canadian citizen living in the states. I was born in the US but lived my whole childhood in Canada and became a citizen when I was a young teenager.

My husband (who is American) and I adopted our two children (when they were infants) internationally as Americans. They are 7 & 10 and American citizens. It is my understanding that they are eligible as my children for Canadian citizenship but I can't figure out where to start.

To start:

Have you checked out the CIC official web site?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

You should also make an appointment with the closest Canadian Consulate.

Also: You could post your question on the C-D Canada forum. You'll get a lot of prompt and helpful replies.

In the past your kids, as children of a Canadian citizen would automatically be citizens, even if born out of the country. This still is the case, but in the last couple of years the Harper government has implemented quite a few immigration reforms. This includes a measure in which non-resident citizenship passed on through parentage does not extend beyond two generations (I think...).

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,736 times
Quote:
Hey all,

Your kids can NOT be Canadian because you were not born in Canada. If you are living outside of Canada, you would have to have been born there. Contact your Canadian Embassy & come gimme my reps!

Old 03-31-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Your kids can NOT be Canadian because you were not born in Canada. If you are living outside of Canada, you would have to have been born there. Contact your Canadian Embassy & come gimme my reps!
Nope sorry you're wrong. You would be right if i weren't naturalized but I am my citizenship is as valid as someone born there. Now my children's children cannot automatically be citizens unless they reside for some time in Canada but my children can. (Turns out the canadavisa forums are pretty knowledgable about this stuff).

Here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...t-adoption.asp

Choose a process—Intercountry adoption

Old 03-31-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
To start:

In the past your kids, as children of a Canadian citizen would automatically be citizens, even if born out of the country. This still is the case, but in the last couple of years the Harper government has implemented quite a few immigration reforms. This includes a measure in which non-resident citizenship passed on through parentage does not extend beyond two generations (I think...).

Good luck!

Thank you! I did receive some good info and this is indeed the case. My children are automatically citizens but their children are not unless they live in Canada for some length of time.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 AM

24,587 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Incorrect - no rep!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I did receive some good info and this is indeed the case. My children are automatically citizens but their children are not unless they live in Canada for some length of time.
Please also check into the US side of the equation. Similar "in country" laws apply.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Please also check into the US side of the equation. Similar "in country" laws apply.
My kids are already US citizens and have been since they were babies, their children are automatically citizens regardless. International adoption law is a whole other thing.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:07 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
1976:

A further point for "down the road " a bit.

Your children, when they are old enough will qualify to attend a Canadian University, as citizens. The cost at a University in Canada, compared to the same degree in the USA will be about half the cost, in dollars.

Why ? Canadian Universities are tax payer supported, so the costs are lower, overall. One qualifier, most Canadian Universities require a student to be a resident of Canada, to get " local rates ". Being a resident means physically being present in the Province where the University is located, for at least 12 months, before applying for admission.

Once your kids have their dual citizenship, they can move back and forth across the Canada / USA border, at will. Use the passport of the country that you are entering, and the other one when returning to the other country. Faster and no hassles, you are a citizen, on both sides, right ?

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM

Use of the US passport is mandatory for US citizens when leaving and entering the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration