Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:02 PM

89 posts, read 131,995 times

Advertisements

@kcmo Thank you for your opinion. Well, as I said, I think Italy is beautiful, I visited many other places, I live in Rome but I also visited Naples, Milan and Torino, and Venice (Venezia). I do like these monuments but I prefer skyscrapers and chaos, I like seeing young people everywhere (people here is usually older than rest of the world) and sometimes is boring, plus people are still racist simply because most criminals here are romanian gypsies so we got a bad reputation for this situation, people aren't open-minded here, and my passions (american football, american rap and american culture in general) can't be found in Italy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 07:01 AM

89 posts, read 131,995 times
Unhappy No more American dream for me

I'm done. For the last couple of years I've been dreaming of living in the USA and have a new life there. I was born in Romania but I lived in Italy for the last 9 years. I absolutely hate these countries and these people, everyone around me is so negative and has nothing good to say to bring people up, they just want to put you down and if you have a dream like mine and want to have a life somewhere else and you think outside the box they think you're stupid and you'll achieve nothing. The only person who actually believed in me was my uncle who lives in Los Angeles and I will forever be grateful to him since last year he paid the ticket and everything else and I visited him in LA for 8 days since my parents didn't have enough money to pay for everything and he said once I'll be 21 (I'm 16, about to turn 17 in 2 weeks), he'd like me to work with him at his truck driving company. I was so excited, finally someone who was positive and believed in my dream and he was the only person who could help me and sponsor me to get a Visa. So I started studying some more english, hell, I even downloaded a CDL training program to understand what it's all about. But right now, unfortunately he has a health issue and since he's 55 he said he'll retire, sell his house and move back to Romania since he doesn't have any kids or family in LA so right now the only one who could help me get into the States is gone. On the other hand my parents don't have enough money to send me study abroad and I'm not a great student with straight A's or extremely good at something so I will never get a scholarship/job sponsorship in the USA. I apologize for writing this here but since everyone around me is so negative I don't even want to talk with them about this, my parents are even less supportive and said "what made you think you could move to the States? You're not really capable of doing anything, you're 16, stop dreaming". Sorry again, I wish everyone a good day.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
I'm done. For the last couple of years I've been dreaming of living in the USA and have a new life there. I was born in Romania but I lived in Italy for the last 9 years. I absolutely hate these countries and these people, everyone around me is so negative and has nothing good to say to bring people up, they just want to put you down and if you have a dream like mine and want to have a life somewhere else and you think outside the box they think you're stupid and you'll achieve nothing. The only person who actually believed in me was my uncle who lives in Los Angeles and I will forever be grateful to him since last year he paid the ticket and everything else and I visited him in LA for 8 days since my parents didn't have enough money to pay for everything and he said once I'll be 21 (I'm 16, about to turn 17 in 2 weeks), he'd like me to work with him at his truck driving company. I was so excited, finally someone who was positive and believed in my dream and he was the only person who could help me and sponsor me to get a Visa. So I started studying some more english, hell, I even downloaded a CDL training program to understand what it's all about. But right now, unfortunately he has a health issue and since he's 55 he said he'll retire, sell his house and move back to Romania since he doesn't have any kids or family in LA so right now the only one who could help me get into the States is gone. On the other hand my parents don't have enough money to send me study abroad and I'm not a great student with straight A's or extremely good at something so I will never get a scholarship/job sponsorship in the USA. I apologize for writing this here but since everyone around me is so negative I don't even want to talk with them about this, my parents are even less supportive and said "what made you think you could move to the States? You're not really capable of doing anything, you're 16, stop dreaming". Sorry again, I wish everyone a good day.
Don't let people tell you what you can't do. There are options if you want. Study in Italy, look for graduate opportunities in the US afterwards. The US is one of the very few countries where doing research/studying can be profitable. That's just one option, another is to work for a company with US offices and try to get a US transfer. Many multinationals move their managers around.

Not saying it's easy, but I'm pretty sure you ca do it if you set your mind to it.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:00 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,192,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
I realize this is a major setback for you, but you're 16, so you've got some time to re-group and go with another plan.

Stay away from those who don't support your goals. If you can't stay away from them, (like your parents), then just don't discuss things with them.

Your English is excellent. And you are smart. I predict you'll get here somehow.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:33 PM

30,545 posts, read 16,240,407 times
You're not going to be 16 forever.

One option is to see if you can find a company that hires foreign employees. Being a translator maybe? Then start gearing your education to what that company looks for in an employee.

Honestly, I don't being a CDL driver will get you here. Since you seem to understand English very well, I'd focus on languages. As Many as you can learn fluently.

Good Luck. Sometimes you just have to be your own cheering section.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:25 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,597 times
@Adrini, sorry but you have been given some bad information by both your uncle and posters on this thread. Immigrating into the US is NOT easy. Your uncle cannot help you with a visa. As his nephew you do not qualify for family reunion and a job as a trucker will not get you a visa.

You need at least a bachelor degree level education and get a bachelor degree level job in order to obtain an H1B visa and even then there is a lottery since more people apply than there are visas. best advice would be to try to get into a college in the US, that way you can be there for some time. Maybe be able to find a nice girl and marry her (K1 visa) or try to win the DV Lottery.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
OP should go to the USCIS website linked in the first "sticky" on this forum to read all about immigration to the US, who is eligible and what's required. Much of the information given on this thread and what he's otherwise been told is very misleading.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:07 AM

308 posts, read 398,587 times
Quote:
I think most Americans would like to see Europe, Asia etc, but it's just not easy from here.
That's funny, considering the availability of inexpensive transatlantic flights these days. I see plenty of American tourists/backpackers here in our frozen little corner of Europe.

Anyway. OP, it is YOUR life, not your parents. It is up to YOU to do what you want with it. Don't stick around people who put you down!

You are 16, so there is no real way you can go to the US now. Your best option is to focus on your education. Try to keep up on what professions are in demand - predicting the future is hard, but it doesn't hurt to keep up to speed on economic and technological trends.

Attending a good school in Italy will put you in a good position to gain entry to US universities, perhaps even with tuition paid in part or in full by the Italian institution. A US degree, as well as being present in the US, makes it easier to approach US employers and in any event you will build a network, which is golden in terms of securing employment. Maybe some American girl will like you too

Old 07-29-2014, 03:56 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
I don't think i'd live in LA.

If I were you I would live somewhere close to home so you can get on a plane and be home in a few hours in an emergency.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:58 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The USA is overrated.

You will work a lot and get limited vacation days. Europeans spend a lot less time at work than Americans.

You better hope your job gives you insurance or you are SOL. No free healthcare here.

Foods that are banned overseas bc they are unhealthy are legal here yet awesome stuff like Kinder Eggs are illegal. America is a very unhealthy place.

Most Americans know only English and most cant even speak it properly. Europeans are more cultured I find.

College prices will kill your wallet here. I believe there are places in Europe that you can go for free. There are hardly any free college institutions here.

America is huge and its distance to places abroad make traveling expensive & burdensome. European countries are close together it is so easy to go to Europe for a week and see 2 or 3 countries. You arent going to come to the US and be able to visit Canada & Mexico in a week.

Most places in America are not very tolerant of homosexuals. We are getting better but we arent there yet. Women get paid 77 cents to every man's dollar.

There is so much wrong with America I dont know where to begin. QOL and life expectancy are decreasing rapidly. America had her heyday a while ago but it's no longer "the greatest country in the world" anymore.

Sometimes I am actually ashamed to live here.
I kind of agree with this. My experiences in Florida have been both negative and positive.

I am old enough now to realise that the country would be hard to start off in... But as I have only been twice and only a few places I don't feel justified in my opinion!!

I want to try and live there temporarily to see what it is like to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration