Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 03:40 PM

89 posts, read 131,995 times

Advertisements

I'm new on this forum so first of all: hello everyone
I'm a 16 years old guy who lives in Rome, Italy, but I was born in Romania. I play american football here and I'm a WR/CB and I've always love American culture. A year ago I went on vacation in Los Angeles (one of my relatives lives there and owns a truck driving company) and I really loved it. I didn't just visit Hollywood or Venice Beach, it was an ordinary week: I used to wake up, take out the dog, then I would go around California with him, we would eat on the road, take pictures of different areas, and at night, we would go home, watch TV or something like that. I loved it. I even played football with some high school players and their coach said "they could use my help". Unfortunately, my parents can't afford sending me to study abroad. I wished I'd go to HS in the USA, and then go and play college football but I don't know if that's possible since we don't have enough financial resources. On the other hand, my relative said when I'll be 18 he would try to find me a job in LA so I could move there. What do you think I should do ?
I'm sorry if I've made some mistakes, and I wish you all a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 12:32 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
I think you should try to get a job in LA when you're 18!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:07 AM

6 posts, read 10,113 times
Hope you get to move to Merica!. Many other great places to live in California though then just LA but since you get a relative there it's still a nice choice.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 AM

719 posts, read 2,667,264 times
Apply for college football scholarships if you can!

Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Oh, good luck! Hopefully things will work out for you! We'll take all the hard workers with positive attitudes that we can get!

Old 04-27-2014, 01:42 PM

908 posts, read 1,419,816 times
I would recommend trying to find sponsorship from a junior college or a community college. Despite the name "community college", many two year colleges have some international student recruitment program. Many of the best community college players each year are recruited onto Division I FBS football programs, and it's probably the best path for you if you want to keep playing football. If the football path doesn't work out, the associate's degree you get from the community college can be useful in getting employment or transferring to a 4-year university to finish your degree.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:24 PM

89 posts, read 131,995 times
I wanna thank you all for the replies that you gave me and the positive and supportive comments. Any other ideas ? I'm trying to collect as much information as I can. Thank you all again, I wish you all a great day

Old 04-29-2014, 07:34 AM

43,689 posts, read 44,435,568 times
If your relative can help sponsor your visa to the USA and you can get some kind of student scholarship then that sounds like the best plan.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:26 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
The USA is overrated.

You will work a lot and get limited vacation days. Europeans spend a lot less time at work than Americans.

You better hope your job gives you insurance or you are SOL. No free healthcare here.

Foods that are banned overseas bc they are unhealthy are legal here yet awesome stuff like Kinder Eggs are illegal. America is a very unhealthy place.

Most Americans know only English and most cant even speak it properly. Europeans are more cultured I find.

College prices will kill your wallet here. I believe there are places in Europe that you can go for free. There are hardly any free college institutions here.

America is huge and its distance to places abroad make traveling expensive & burdensome. European countries are close together it is so easy to go to Europe for a week and see 2 or 3 countries. You arent going to come to the US and be able to visit Canada & Mexico in a week.

Most places in America are not very tolerant of homosexuals. We are getting better but we arent there yet. Women get paid 77 cents to every man's dollar.

There is so much wrong with America I dont know where to begin. QOL and life expectancy are decreasing rapidly. America had her heyday a while ago but it's no longer "the greatest country in the world" anymore.

Sometimes I am actually ashamed to live here.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Don't worry, not everyone is as negative as Jdawg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration