Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 14,758 times

Advertisements

i am in the us with a B2 visa ,my i-94 is still valid for another 4months.can i go to mexico or canada with my B2 visa to change to an F1 visa.is it possible to change my status from B2 to F1 without going to my home country.thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 01:16 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
You don't have to be in the US to apply for an F1 visa but of course you do have to have been already accepted into a learning institution before applying.

You'll find a ton of information on the USCIS website which is linked in the first "sticky" on this forum.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:35 PM

yes i have been accepted into a very good school.i have my i-20.i cant start school without changing to F1.so i was just wandering if i could go to mexico or canada and do the change of status because they say i have to leave the US and re-enter with a student visa.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:07 PM

This is why I suggested you go to the USCIS website as the information you need is there. Since you are already in the US under a B2 you do NOT have to leave the country to apply for an F1 as long as your B2 is current.

Here's the info:

Special Instructions for B-1/B-2 Visitors Who Want to Enroll in School | USCIS

Old 06-24-2014, 02:40 PM

The link you suggested was helpful but it takes up to 3months to get it changed within the US (can i do it myself or get a lawyer)and i will miss the deadline and have to defer my admission till next but i do not want to do that because my i-94 will be invalid then. that's why i wanted to know if i could go out of the united states to Mexico or Canada(not my home country) and get it done instantly and return to the states to start school.do u know if i can go to mexico or canada with a B2 visa and get it done from there.thank you

Last edited by belona; 06-24-2014 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 03:49 PM

You can apply for a status change yourself and don't need a lawyer - again, the USCIS website has all the necessary forms you can download. If you think you can more easily get an F1 from a US consular office in either Canada or Mexico - and you have the necessary visas to go to either - then go that route. But check first with whichever consular office you decide upon and see what their processing time is.

Maybe someone else who subscribes to this forum can give you some first hand insight into which is the better choice. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:50 PM

282 posts, read 444,574 times
Not in Mexico. You can only renew the kind of visa you already have. See item 3 at Who Can Apply | Embassy of the United States Mexico City, Mexico

It is possible to apply in Canada, but they are pretty backlogged right now, and a change of status in the U.S. might be faster. See https://usvisa-info.com/en-ca/selfse...ncements#jun13
Plus, the posts in Canada are pretty tough on third country nationals applying for the kinds of visas, like an F-1, for which you have to show an intent to return to your home country.

Oh, and if you're from one of the six countries designated as state sponsors of terrorism, you can't apply at all in either country.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:29 AM

119 posts, read 191,994 times
First of all, do not confuse status change with getting different visa type, these are different things. Non-immigrant status allows you to stay in the US for a certain period of time, while visa is only needed at the moment you cross the border. Once you are admitted, visa doesn't matter, your proof of legal status is your I-94.

You can change status from B1 to F1 without leaving the US, you will need to submit appropriate forms to USCIS. However, there is a caveat - USCIS does not really like this kind of status change, especially if you apply soon after you entered on B1 visa. The only exception is if you have told the border control officer at the port of entry that you are prospective student, in this case they would mark your I-94 accordingly and you shouldn't have any problems with USCIS with your status change.

You can also apply for a new visa abroad and yes, this can be done in Mexico, Canada or any other country. Keep in mind though, if the consulate denies your F1 application, you may have to go back to your home country and will not be able to re-enter US.

Another thing to keep in mind if you decide to change the status without leaving US: the process may take longer than the validity period of your B1 status, so you may need to file an application to extend your B1 along with the status change.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK73 View Post

You can also apply for a new visa abroad and yes, this can be done in Mexico, Canada or any other country.
This doesn't seem to be supported by the link an earlier poster provided.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM

119 posts, read 191,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
This doesn't seem to be supported by the link an earlier poster provided.
Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize that consulate in Mexico has special provision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration