Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times

Advertisements

Too many unanswered questions being presented by a third party here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 10:51 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
He doesn't need a tax expert - the IRS offers free assistance. Neither does he need an immigration attorney. He is a bona fide permanent resident alien and is simply best advised to get the tax business sorted out before applying for citizenship. He was cut off from the social services he was receiving NOT because he's a GC holder but because he doesn't have enough invested into the SS system to qualify. If and when he gets a regular job where deductions are made he still has to accumulate sufficient credits to be eligible for social services. A US citizen who doesn't have sufficient investment in the system is treated exactly the same way. You're mixing apples and oranges.
I wasn't trying to mix Apples and Oranges. Like I said, I am not an expert. I do know, however, that he got cut off for that reason, and that it was that reason and others that he wants to be a US Citizen. Thank you for the info that the IRS provides assistance for this. I'll have to go look for that info on their website. If you have a link that would save time, but I will look for it anyways.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I wasn't trying to mix Apples and Oranges. Like I said, I am not an expert. I do know, however, that he got cut off for that reason, and that it was that reason and others that he wants to be a US Citizen. Thank you for the info that the IRS provides assistance for this. I'll have to go look for that info on their website. If you have a link that would save time, but I will look for it anyways.
Contact Your Local IRS Office

Again, he didn't get cut off because he's not a US citizen, he was cut off because he hadn't enough credits in the system to re-qualify. Good luck!

Old 07-16-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Contact Your Local IRS Office

Again, he didn't get cut off because he's not a US citizen, he was cut off because he hadn't enough credits in the system to re-qualify. Good luck!
Thanks! I got what you meant. It's just what he was told by the service provider. I'm sure that you are correct, though.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:07 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,771,091 times
Taker wants "More Sir?"

Old 07-16-2014, 12:53 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,900 times
Immigration attorney. Then work to get a paying job. If in cash, get a taxpayer ID card and send a check to the IRS every month for your taxes.

If only goals is to "get things worked out" so that he can keep on taking, then I say go back.

We've recently had a huge surge in "poor, tired, huddled masses" coming in. Can't say that I think we need one more.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Immigration attorney. Then work to get a paying job. If in cash, get a taxpayer ID card and send a check to the IRS every month for your taxes.
He doesn't need an immigration lawyer. He's had a GC for years and there is no urgency for him to apply for citizenship as, apart from not being able to vote or hold public office, there are no impediments to him living and working in the US.

As has been explained at some length, his status (GC holder or US citizen) has no relevance to his collecting any social security benefits as the entitlement to such benefits is contingent in both cases to the applicant having sufficiently paid into the SS system. Which he obviously hasn't done and thus he needs to get the IRS issues sorted out, get a job where either the proper deductions are made or pay them himself and then, when he's on firm footing, apply for citizenship with a clean slate.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:13 PM

You can judge him all you want, but you've clearly misunderstood him. I didn't identify the service, but it was not a service where you can only get. This particular service was to help him get work, not to freeload. I agree that we don't need more takers, but in my honest opinion this is not what he is about. I've seen plenty of takers before. I know what they're like. I don't help them with stuff like this. This guy is a victim of his family's belief that deaf people can't do anything. It's a common belief in Africa, and pretty much every other country. Plenty of Americans think that way. This guy just needs help to get going. He will be a contributor in the future. US Citizenship is something he wants, but he's going to have to put on hold for now. Is everyone who wants to be a citizen similarly judged?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:33 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
. . . . . help him find a legitimate job now, and get him filing taxes from now on, and then re-apply in a couple of years.

^^^^ This is what I think you should do. When he re-applies for citizenship and it asks for prior work, just list "none", except for the legitimate work I hope that you can find for him soon.

Odds are, he wasn't making enough to even need to file. And I say that, because of the types of jobs that pay cash, generally aren't that well-paying.

Get in touch with the IRS and explain the situation, indicating that he has legitimate work and is paying the appropriate taxes and FICA and ask them then.

Regardless of who he is, if he's got a legit green card, has a job, and is paying taxes, uncle Sam oughta kiss him on the lips.

Oh, and let me add: make sure he re-applies for his green card as soon as he is able. Don't let that lapse.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post

Oh, and let me add: make sure he re-applies for his green card as soon as he is able. Don't let that lapse.
There's no penalty or alteration of status in letting it lapse. A friend of mine applied for the "new" (10 year renewable) GC a couple of years after all GC holders were supposed to have applied for it, only did so because he was planning on vacationing outside the country, and there was no muss or fuss about it at all. He had the card (and a much lighter wallet - the cost is pretty outrageous!) in a week or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration