Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 06:22 PM

60 posts, read 94,692 times

Advertisements

I haven't read all of the replies, so forgive me if you have covered this already. I worked in Immigration law as a paralegal, and your friend absolutely needs an attorney. A good attorney (and you should investigate who is considered to have a good reputation in your area and not just go to anyone) can actually help your friend far better than you or anyone on this board. The attorney not only helps to fill out the paperwork, but also attends any meetings with the IRS. He/she can advise the client when to leave an answer blank or how to legally answer questions. The attorney also is familiar with the agents at Immigration and which ones are tougher than others and how to handle the interviews with them. It is a huge mistake to fill out the forms by yourself and try to go to the interviews without legal representation. I know it can cost a great deal of money, but some attorneys will agree to a payment plan or charge a flat rate which they will divide in half: half payment at the beginning and half much later, giving the client the opportunity to come up with the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 06:36 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty4 View Post
I haven't read all of the replies, so forgive me if you have covered this already. I worked in Immigration law as a paralegal, and your friend absolutely needs an attorney. A good attorney (and you should investigate who is considered to have a good reputation in your area and not just go to anyone) can actually help your friend far better than you or anyone on this board. The attorney not only helps to fill out the paperwork, but also attends any meetings with the IRS. He/she can advise the client when to leave an answer blank or how to legally answer questions. The attorney also is familiar with the agents at Immigration and which ones are tougher than others and how to handle the interviews with them. It is a huge mistake to fill out the forms by yourself and try to go to the interviews without legal representation. I know it can cost a great deal of money, but some attorneys will agree to a payment plan or charge a flat rate which they will divide in half: half payment at the beginning and half much later, giving the client the opportunity to come up with the money.
Thank you. I did not mean to imply that we would do this ourselves. We are recommending an attorney for him. Doing a sample tax form was just to show him what it's like. He's not going to file the sample.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:59 PM

282 posts, read 444,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Are these clinics held in the DC area? How will I know what to look for? Is there a web page for announcing them?

There's usually on in April in DC and/or Baltimore. It's run by the American Immigration Lawyers Association, so watch their website for Citizenship Day. AILA - American Immigration Lawyers Association

Old 08-07-2014, 03:57 PM

300 posts, read 438,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

I can assure you that the free services available through the IRS to sort out tax problems are as readily available to GC holders as they are to US citizens as I've benefited from their assistance myself and my immigration status had nothing to do with it.
Nothing in this world is free. The IRs wants thier money. They help you pay them. IRS employees are paid with federal tax dollars. You may not be paying a fee. The rest of US tax payers are paying.

. Filing taxes is one of the conditions of maintaing a visa. Just becuse "the above poster" got away with not filing taxes and IRS didn't contact INS to have "the aboveposter" deported, doesn't mean that everyone else will have the same luck. My advise stands.
I'm glad that OP will ble to help his friedn sort out the tax mess. However Istill suggest he raitn an atty to make sure verything is order befor apporoching the IRS.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:45 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
That's exactly what we're going to do. The employer just started paying him with checks rather than cash. Now there will be a paper trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration