Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 04:13 PM

22 posts, read 19,588 times

Advertisements

I really feel like South America is really good they are working to actually give their people rights, countries like Argentina, Uruguay and Chile are really trying and I like Ecuador too. I really want to be a legal resident in these countries because I think the future is in South America they are trying to experiment and trying to see what works in the Government. Like Argentina giving rights for people who are trans to be able to choose their sex without getting a bunch of steps to jump through. Uruguay has abortion that is truly legal and is making Marijuana taxed and legal, and same sex marriage. Talk about progression! Anyway basically I want to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 10:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
So apply for a visa; nothing stopping you. Loads of them moving here both legal and not.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:16 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanoroftroy View Post
I really feel like South America is really good they are working to actually give their people rights, countries like Argentina, Uruguay and Chile are really trying and I like Ecuador too. I really want to be a legal resident in these countries because I think the future is in South America they are trying to experiment and trying to see what works in the Government. Like Argentina giving rights for people who are trans to be able to choose their sex without getting a bunch of steps to jump through. Uruguay has abortion that is truly legal and is making Marijuana taxed and legal, and same sex marriage. Talk about progression! Anyway basically I want to move.
South America is a continent, not a country. May be best to visit different countries there and decide if it's really for you. My SA born husband loves to visit his country of birth, but has no desire to live there for a variety of reasons and loves his American citizenship much more.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:22 AM

22 posts, read 19,588 times
Yes, I know that SA is not a country but I find it very interesting and I am also looking to move to one of the countries there but I still have not chosen one. I really don't like how the US is turning out to be there is a lot of oppression here still.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:31 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
I've lived in South America. I loved it, but majority find it to be a culture shock.

For the most part, anyone going down there without knowing Spanish, or thinking they will have more opportunities and the people will be friendlier to them are going to come back, broke and disappointed.

South America can be a great place to be, however going down there with rose colored glasses and no Spanish is a sure way to make you regret your decision.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanoroftroy View Post
I really feel like South America is really good they are working to actually give their people rights, countries like Argentina, Uruguay and Chile are really trying and I like Ecuador too. I really want to be a legal resident in these countries ...
Then go to the immigration sites of those countries and see what's required. If you find a suitable niche then visit that country and spend a few weeks there as a visitor to see how daily living would suit you.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:25 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,811 times
OP: Where do you live now? And have you EVER visited a country in South America.

I have and I really enjoy visiting there. I would even consider living there for a while IF I had a good job opportunity there.

That said, you do seem to have on some rose colored glasses. Try being poor in South America and see how you like it.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:02 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,489 times
Argentina's economy is going down the drain... of course if you have a lot of dollars saved it's great, they will go a long way there as the local currency keeps plummeting.

Uruguay, Chile, Colombia are doing much better. Ecuador? Not so much, and it's a lot more restrictive.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:26 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,493,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
OP: Where do you live now? And have you EVER visited a country in South America.

I have and I really enjoy visiting there. I would even consider living there for a while IF I had a good job opportunity there.

That said, you do seem to have on some rose colored glasses. Try being poor in South America and see how you like it.
That's a very charitable way to put it; I commend you. More bluntly, I'd say the OP is hopelessly naive (or under 15 years old) and clearly knows very little about SA. This is someone who uses the word "oppression" to describe the US. "Well, the social policies in SA are more progressive, it must be a wonderful place to live!". OP, do yourself a huge favor. Stay put and forget about this fantasy of yours.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:42 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
That's a very charitable way to put it; I commend you. More bluntly, I'd say the OP is hopelessly naive (or under 15 years old) and clearly knows very little about SA. This is someone who uses the word "oppression" to describe the US. "Well, the social policies in SA are more progressive, it must be a wonderful place to live!". OP, do yourself a huge favor. Stay put and forget about this fantasy of yours.
I can't stop laughing because the OP wants to go to South America to get "human rights." OP, the words "human rights" and "abuses" generally go hand-in-hand when speaking about a large portion of SA. You want to go to Chile to gain civil rights? Do you know anything about the long tradition of civil rights abuses/torture/murder in Chile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration