Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Your General Opinion on Immigration
I am an Immigrant and I Favor Skills-Based Immigration. 10 9.52%
I am an Immigrant and I Favor Family-Based Immigration. 3 2.86%
I am a non-Immigrant and I favor Skills-Based Immigration. 62 59.05%
I am a non-Immigrant and I favor Family-Based Immigration. 13 12.38%
Other 17 16.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 08:45 AM

3,156 posts, read 2,706,235 times

Advertisements

Where do you stand?

For this poll, assume the following:

Immigrants become permanent residents without any interim visas (like the H-Visa). Visas are issued only to temporary visitors.

"Skill-Based Immigration" allows for spouses and minor children of US Citizens or LPR's only. It is determined by a weighted merit system based on education and work experience, much like a job interview.

"Family-Based Immigration" allows the same family for LPR's, but also extended family including siblings, parents of adult children, and grandparents of US Citizens. It allows a small number of visas for skilled workers, much like today's US immigration system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 AM

9,301 posts, read 14,919,650 times
As a Democrat, I stand for some common sense legislation and an overhaul of existing immigration law.

Unfortunately, the far left and the far right are making this unworkable.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:33 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
As a Conservative, (Not a conservative on all subjects) I favor skill based over family based immigration.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:32 PM

9,301 posts, read 14,919,650 times
I think the people could come to an agreement on immigration policy a lot faster than the current politicians.

There should be a policies spelled out and put to a national referenda so we could vote.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,320,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
As a Conservative, (Not a conservative on all subjects) I favor skill based over family based immigration.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I think the people could come to an agreement on immigration policy a lot faster than the current politicians.

There should be a policies spelled out and put to a national referenda so we could vote.
and This

Old 05-17-2019, 05:34 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,728,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Where do you stand?

For this poll, assume the following:

Immigrants become permanent residents without any interim visas (like the H-Visa). Visas are issued only to temporary visitors.

"Skill-Based Immigration" allows for spouses and minor children of US Citizens or LPR's only. It is determined by a weighted merit system based on education and work experience, much like a job interview.

"Family-Based Immigration" allows the same family for LPR's, but also extended family including siblings, parents of adult children, and grandparents of US Citizens. It allows a small number of visas for skilled workers, much like today's US immigration system.
I’d prefer ZERO IMMIGRANTS. This country has let in too many already and we are SO CROWDED!!

Old 05-17-2019, 06:40 PM

24,613 posts, read 10,936,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I’d prefer ZERO IMMIGRANTS. This country has let in too many already and we are SO CROWDED!!
Where do you and your family come from?

Old 05-17-2019, 07:00 PM

623 posts, read 234,252 times
Not an immigrant and I want ALL immigration stopped.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:05 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,465,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Where do you and your family come from?
Your reply was to Hopelesscause, not me, but that poster chose to answer "neither," which is covered by the option "other" when stating a preference for zero immigration.

This thread is not about WHERE immigrants come from. You can start a poll for that.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:03 AM

10,051 posts, read 18,090,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
Not an immigrant and I want ALL immigration stopped.
Given that you chose a username that is the acronym for white supremacy (Our Race Is Our Nation), your views are not surprising. They fit well with your other posts on C-D. (Note, this is not an attack on you; they are simple factual statements.)

If all immigration were stopped, many employers in states like California would vehemently protest as they need workers and native-born Americans do not want to do that kind of work (like picking produce).

I am more in favor of skills-based than family-based immigration, but I realize that even skills-based is problematic when it is "sold" as being needed because not enough people in the U.S. hold those same skills, when really it is about cutting employer costs by replacing "expensive" American workers with lower-paid foreign workers. Too many lobbyists, too many loopholes.

And I am not an immigrant myself, but my mother is British and immigrated to the U.S. when she married my father, a U.S. serviceman. I have the right to British citizenship through her. My father's side of the family were undoubtedly immigrants too, but many, many generations ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration