Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 09:08 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times

Advertisements

Many of us have been reading about the media attacks on the USCIS and Trump about new means testing rules. Most often cited is the engraving on the Statue of Liberty “poor and huddled masses yearning to be free”.
Out of curiosity I researched the legal definition of “Freedom”. Here is what I found;

Freedom is the state of being liberated or free. It can also be a political right.

The term freedom in a broader sense includes:

a) the condition of being free of restraints;

b) liberty of a person from slavery, detention, or oppression;

c) political independence and exemption from the arbitrary exercise of authority in the performance of a specific action;

d) a civil liberty, that is a guaranteed protection against interference with the interests and rights held dear and important by large classes of civilized men, or by all the members of a state. Such liberty is coupled with an effectual share in the making and administration of the laws;

e) the ability or capacity to exercise choice or free will;

f) ease or facility of movement;

g) right of enjoying all of the privileges of membership or citizenship;

h) and; a right or the power to engage in certain actions without control or interference.

I can’t speak for everyone, but these people at our border enjoy all of the rights of freedom. If one were to argue the freedom from not having enough resources, then the United States is NOT a free country, therefore cannot provide freedom as a natural right and cannot in good faith offer any immigration benefits to anyone.

You’ll understand what I’m getting at if you check Merriem Webster’s newly minted definition. Corruption is great—
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 05:22 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
A poem is not the same as our Constitution. As an immigrant I applaud the sentiment, but you can’t turn it into unbridled policy.

Also, “yearning” -

“a feeling of intense longing for something.”

I want a lot of things, but I don’t expect to (1) get them without earning it and (2) don’t burden others with it.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:21 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Many of us have been reading about the media attacks on the USCIS and Trump about new means testing rules. Most often cited is the engraving on the Statue of Liberty “poor and huddled masses yearning to be free”.
Out of curiosity I researched the legal definition of “Freedom”. Here is what I found;

Freedom is the state of being liberated or free. It can also be a political right.

The term freedom in a broader sense includes:

b) liberty of a person from slavery, detention, or oppression;
Deporting them will accomplish that.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:59 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Something can be legal but still un-American.

My idea of America is a land of the free where able hands, willing to work, arriving on our shores/borders, or being native sons have the equal opportunity to build our nation and prosper.

I approve of means-testing applicants for LPR status, so long as it is not used as a un-American protectionist tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration