Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 21,297 times

Advertisements

I'm from canada and visiting houston on a vistors visa right now. I would like to stay here and eventually get citizenship. I am in need of a job sponsor on the H2 unskilled workers visa. I don't have my BA yet, which, is why the H2 unskilled visa. Does anyone know who hires and sponsors this visa? Or know someone who got one of these visas? I hear there are only 10k of them to give out every year and that is discouraging. I'd be willing to work 7 days a week and for minimum salary! Whatever it takes. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made112 View Post
I'm from canada and visiting houston on a vistors visa right now. I would like to stay here and eventually get citizenship.

I hear there are only 10k of them to give out every year and that is discouraging.

I'd be willing to work 7 days a week and for minimum salary! Whatever it takes. Please help.
*Me too.

*Yes it can be discouraging.

*Don't advertise too much about willingness to work cheap and awefull hours.

It can lead to deflation of wages and lost benefits to certain industries. This is why many U.S. employers love illegal Mexicans/ Latin Americans because they don't care if they sour whatever industry they join. You could also contribute to soured feelings toward fellow Canadians by doing this.

Also if you go willing to work cheap, by the time you do get citizenship if others have done what you did, you'll only be left with cheap paying jobs.

My advice, stay in Canada and work at a good job for long enough that you become competetive by virtue of skills and knowledge, not by willing to undercut fellow Americans.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 21,297 times
Thanks for the advice.... and insight into something I hadn't thought about. It was pretty selfish of me. I guess I'm really worried about having to go back and then not being able to come back after my 6 mths here are up. I really don't have to worry about money... I'd just like to be able to stay here with my girlfriend and I can't marry her because we're gay and there are no rights for gays. Total Bummer.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:18 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice.... and insight into something I hadn't thought about. It was pretty selfish of me. I guess I'm really worried about having to go back and then not being able to come back after my 6 mths here are up. I really don't have to worry about money... I'd just like to be able to stay here with my girlfriend and I can't marry her because we're gay and there are no rights for gays. Total Bummer.
No problem.

I never knew that Canadians would require a special visa to stay 6 months. I've never needed one to go to the U.S., but I never stayed more than 1 month. Are you a Canadian citizen or just a legal resident of Canada? (only relevant to my question of a visitor's visa, not about immigrating to the U.S.)

My grandparents used to spend 5-5.5 months in Florida every winter and I don't think they had any problems. Their main concern was how if you leave your Province for so many days you lose Provincial health coverage, like where I live O.H.I.P.

I think they could have legally stayed in the U.S. indefinitely, just they would have lost their Canadian health coverage, plus no American health coverage plan will cover people without official legal residency.

*If you haven't already, you might want to look online to see if what your home province's restrictions are towards how long you can be away and still have "free health care." In Ontario, you're only allowed to be out of the province (or country?) for 155 days a year, so you might have to be in Ontario 210 days a year minimim to still be covered.*

(In the old days it was you could leave for 180 days, come back for a few days, leave again for up to 180 days and repeat while keeping your health coverage)

You might be able to get married and recognized in other states like Massechusets, but even hetero couples who marry non-Americans often have trouble bringing their spouses to the U.S. I think I heard a senator of Georgia married a Columbian woman and was trying to keep her in the U.S., while INS was still trying to deport her.

Marriage it seems no longer "fixes" immigration issues or makes someone American, but money seems to. (you could always start a business in the U.S. and be granted permament residency I think)

I'm sorry, but I know very little on sponsoring...

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-11-2007 at 02:45 PM..

Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 15,849 times
You need 250k to 500k, and be willing to hire 10 Americans for 2 years before you can qualify for the Green Card. I don't believe USCIS recognizes gay couples. Try not to overstay your visa - you will be flagged. I am surprised they let you stay for that long! Unless you're a snowbird, max stay is 3 months I think. I think it will be difficult to find a sponsor for your H2...it costs at least 2k for the filing, which starts in April and you can only start to work in October. Even if you are willing to pay for the costs, employers will find it hard to wait that long. You said you don't worry about money; may be you should consider going to school on the student visa (which allows you to legally work on campus), and still be with you girlfriend. After you're done with school, the prospect of h1 will be better.

Yeah, don't work for cheap.

Good luck!

Old 02-02-2007, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 165,084 times
Another option is to apply for a nanny position through some US nannies associations who will also get you obtain the nanny working visa that would allow the nanny to stay, work and go to school legally in the US for 12 months, I believe.

As a matter of facts, there are many US nannies associations that would recruit international nannies/au-pair and place them nationwide. As a Canadian, speaking English and female, you'd fulfill all the requirements of a well seeked candidate compared to others coming from Europe and elsewhere. Pay rate is good too, not cheap, and most of the time, the aupair family would also provide a car to drive their child/children from home to school and back. Also, I believe that you would not have to come up with much money upfront as most of the fees are paid by the aupair family.

This is a valid option because my former co-worker did hire several international nannies throughout the years to take care of her children. It's just unfortunate that I lost contact with her and couldn't remember which nannies organization she went with. However, it's quite easy to obtain more information on the subject on the web.

Good luck.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,706 times
Made112,

This thing surprise me. I am from Dominican republic and I am thinking to immigrate to Canada next year. I got visa for USA and Canada, but I prefer Canada for the lowest crimes cities. You are a citizent and you are triying to go to USA? Anyway you can, married in another state without problem, and get the green card faster; only you need to do it before your visa expires or you can't do it.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,690 times
Hi, I am a Pakistani citizen and I am in a horrible financial condition. I am willing to go to Canada and work there. Can you please advice what is the best way to get instant work permission and visa for Canada?

Best Regards

Old 01-26-2012, 04:21 AM

379 posts, read 813,384 times
Quote:
I don't have my BA yet, which, is why the H2 unskilled visa. Does anyone know who hires and sponsors this visa?
If your major is in a field of high demand (quantitative analytics), you may have a way in. Lately, I've seen a lot of employment ads that specifically say they don't want to sponsor. Hopefully that will change.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:34 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,876 times
Run for Congresss, you get a pension and free healthcare and you get to sleep in this big room while people get up and talk bs about what they think they can do without any money.

Quote:
I'm from canada and visiting houston on a vistors visa right now. I would like to stay here and eventually get citizenship. I am in need of a job sponsor on the H2 unskilled workers visa. I don't have my BA yet, which, is why the H2 unskilled visa. Does anyone know who hires and sponsors this visa? Or know someone who got one of these visas? I hear there are only 10k of them to give out every year and that is discouraging. I'd be willing to work 7 days a week and for minimum salary! Whatever it takes. Please help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration