Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,773,022 times

Advertisements

An interesting article in the NY Times about marriage-based greencard interviews:
Investigating Marriage Fraud in New York - Do You Take This Immigrant? - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/nyregion/13fraud.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,795 times
is police clearance required

Old 06-17-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komarock View Post
is police clearance required
Police clearance is only required from other countries. For the USA, you have to declare any convictions, but they will do their own background checks.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:04 PM

952 posts, read 2,635,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andus View Post
Hi guys,

I'm currently awaiting my interview regarding my greencard - so far my wife and I have made it through all the steps (albeit there were some delays/hiccups along the way) and this is, as far as I understand, the last step.

Regarding this interview, can anyone who's been through this process advise me on what can I expect? Additionally, when I was a teenager, I made some stupid decisions and I'm wondering if this will have any major adverse affects on my application?

Firstly, I was given a fine and some demerit points for running a red light and driving past the time of which I was allowed to be driving (given the license I was on at the time)

Secondly, I was given a trespass notice at a local store for shoplifting (a chocolate bar of all things ) - the police were not involved

Now long before I even met my wife and had intentions of moving to the US, I really regreted these stupid decisions I made as a young, dumb teenager and have had a spotless record since - these actions took place about 10 years ago. I do not intend to lie to US immigration and intend to lay it all out when they ask me but was wondering if they would deny me based on these 2 things? Keep in mind, I was not formally 'convicted' and I was a minor at the time.

Your feedback would be much appreciated

Been there done that! I just passed my naturalization interview last Friday.
Me and USC hubby married in November 2008, consulted with an immigration attorney in Dec 2008 to help file paperwork etc... May 2008 got my GC. Attorney, myself and USC hubby went to the interview in downtown San Diego. He took a look at my British passport and went thru the AOS form, your full name, DOB, address etc...verfified my last entry into the U.S, took a look at my file, wedding pics etc, marriage certificate. Interview took maybe 10-15mins at the end of the interview took out his red stamp for approval and stamped my passport (can't remember if this is the I-551 stamp though so long ago I can't remember), got my GC in the mail about 2-3 weeks later.

Just go there relax, go thru your AOS form and prepare with your support documentation, the more relax you are when you are there and the more prepared you are when you go the better!

Good luck, you'll do fine!!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:34 PM

8 posts, read 10,716 times
does everyone need to go through an interview even for immediate family?
my husband is a us citizen and we got our approval letter from uscis to which they were going to forward to NVC.
thanks.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 PM

For a visa yes, everyone goes through an interview. You will need to show that you have a bonafide relationship as well as that he can financially support you.

BTW, your visa has not been approved yet. Your husband's petition has been approved by USCIS; it now goes to NVC, then to the embassy, where you will apply for the visa.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 PM

how long does it normally take for immediate families to receive a visa?
what steps follow the uscis approval?

Old 07-15-2012, 03:47 AM

For the spouse of a USC, 8-11 months on average from initial filing to interview, you then have 6 months to use the visa, but a lot depends on your country- some schedules interviews fast after NVC is done with your file, others have a backlog for months.

At NVC, more paperwork is required (most notably the I-864 affidavit of support along with 3 years tax returns, and police certificates for anywhere you have lived a long time). Then the paperwork goes to your local US embassy. You will need to have a medical, send in some more forms, then have the interview.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:25 PM

how much do medical exams normally cost?

Old 07-23-2012, 03:58 AM

Depends on the country- around $300
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration