Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:28 AM

82 posts, read 317,769 times

Advertisements

Anybody have the dish on Jim Thorpe, Lehighton or Palmerton School Districts? Pleasant Valley is another consideration ( I love the Jonas area).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 07:30 AM

Default Weatherly- I forgot Weatherly!!

Weatherly is another interesting school district!

(Sad when you reply to your own post, ain't it?

Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin'for"home" View Post
Anybody have the dish on Jim Thorpe, Lehighton or Palmerton School Districts? Pleasant Valley is another consideration ( I love the Jonas area).

Thanks!
Hi there...loved that area as well, as I lived in Kunkletown on a lake, and loved the West End Fair every year...

I think the schools are all about the same, especailly with the influx of so many people over the past 15 years....my son went to Pleasant Valley and it was fine...a little behind big city schools, but ok....I would say the other schools are about the same....but understand, I'm not an authority....best to take some visits and talk to people there who have kids and see how they feel about the schools....all those areas though, are pretty....loved the area around Beltzville.

I would venture to say, Weatherly, would be my choice...only b/c I hate heavily populated areas, with malls and all the conveniences...I love being way out away from people and traffic. But that's just me....?

Good luck!

Creme

Old 06-20-2007, 06:57 PM

9 posts, read 24,080 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I have my children in Palmerton School District - I think it is fantastic. Both my children have 'special needs' for different reason. One ADHD and Bipolar the other has major life thrteatening food allergy, this school district has been fantastic. Towamensing school is the best I have ever seen!

I have heard alot of negative things about Pleasant Valley - but I would be interested to hear views from people who have children there.

I have heard that Jim Thorpe is also a good school district. Don't know about Lehighton.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:05 AM

Default Thanks!

This is very helpful.

Are your children in high school or elementary?
Again, thanks.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
This is very helpful.

Are your children in high school or elementary?
Again, thanks.
Hi, I have one just finished kindergarten and one just moving up to Jr-High. Palmerton Area School District has 2 elementry schools , Towamensing and SS Palmer both are good school. The school district is small and has a very good rep. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will try too answer:

Here is the link for Palmerton School District:

Palmerton Area School District

Pheasy

Old 06-22-2007, 06:55 AM

Smile Thanks!

Sorry -I meant to respond to this yesterday.

By the time we move I will have a girl in Middle School and another in High School.

I've read the site and Schoolmatters.com and greatschools.net as well.

I really want local "real dish." I've heard so much about Jim Thorpe but the
school does not rank in the numbers-especially when it comes to special ed.
Palmerton being better which I had heard the opposite.
I like Palmerton's downtown and I also love Blue Mountain and the proximity to ABE.

What have you heard about special ed? My middle schooler is going to be fine. Although in the Spectrum it is so mild- she is being mainstreamed this year and she is so resilient- she'll be fine anywhere we go.

My daughter is now learning disabled vs. autistic - so in case anyone in the "special ed know" out there is reading this- I'd appreciate some understanding these stats.

Thanks one and all for your time. I really, really appreciate it.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:40 PM

I am from the UK and have only lived here 3 years, so as far as the stats are concerned I would probably not be the best person to answer that one.

My son is under 'special needs', he is ADHD and Bi-Polar. The assistance that he got at Towamensing School was excellent. I am hoping that the Jr-High and High School assistance will be as good.

They also had to make many changes for my daughter who has a life threatening food allergy - they did everything to ensure she was safe at school.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:10 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I hear over and over again about how great the Pleasant Valley School district is. This is just something that people tell me all of the time.........I had no kids who attended it. Perhaps someone else here has and can be more through. I hear they have a wonderful courses and it is a very involved school. Realtors can not discus schools with a client.......so its best to do research. There is a site for that with the schools information so you can check side to side who has the best grades.
But, to let you know that never have I heard a bad word about PV.
Someone here has that site......think it is maybe Molly?? Added........ok so you did get that site..........I have heard also a month or so ago the PV has a good system for disabled kids. Why don't you contact the school and ask. I really have no facts on the other schools.........maybe someone here can answer to them.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:27 AM

Thanks!

For those of you who may have some future in the special needs- it's in the middle school and high school that it gets dicier - hence that's where I'm approaching. I'm also a teacher's aide for an autistic support preschool so
I see how it works from the inside.
Most schools say that they have a great program- some actually do, some don't. Oftentime, in PA, the county handles it- so whether it's PV or JT or PM- it's often run by the same group- perhaps different educators, but the county nonetheless. The school district has to repay the county-hence that's where the school district is important. Once a child is not autistic- it can get trickier again- and that's where I'm at. That's being handled in most cases by the school district themselves.
Also, as a child ages sometimes the needs change and the school handles it- so it's in the high school and middle school that is important. Many, many elementary schools do great in special ed, but it's in the older grades that
the real effectiveness begins to show.
Again, thanks as I really appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley