Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 06:09 AM

3 posts, read 4,712 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Wondering if it would be manageable in terms of traffic jam to live in between King Of Prussia and Swiftwater, NJ (for example Allentown or Easton) and drive to KOP or Swifwater everyday....
My husband might find a job in Swifwater and I would have one in KOP.
Also, are the elementary schools in the area of Allentown or Easton good and safe? We have two children.

From what I understand it could be difficult to reach Philladelphia at ruch hours, but maybe it is easier to reach KOP? Is there any "by-passes", small roads to avoid the traffic... ??

Thank you very much for your help and comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:45 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefiore View Post
Hi!
Thank you very much for your help and comments!
Manageable, yes, but pleasant no. Probably an hour for each of you with no options via public transit. There are many first rate districts in Lehigh County, notably to the south and West of the city. As well as two options in Northampton County.

I assume you mean Swiftwater PA.

If you fill out the form people can give better advice. It helps to know if you are looking to rent or purchase a home for $200K or $400K.

You probably want to choose closer to KOP as you will face the heavier traffic. Not to many back roads, so you will have to tough out traffic (and probably take the PA Turnpike NE extension.

You should also consider Quakertown in northern Bucks County (40 miles to KOP and 57 miles to Swiftwater). Quakertown is considered part of the Lehigh Valley urban area even though it is in Bucks county.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:55 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I agree with Paco, Both commutes are bad. The chance of delays due to weather, traffic and construction is extremely high going to K of P and it's not going to be much better for the Swiftwater destination. I also couldn't find a Swiftwater NJ location so assume you mean PA. There are a lot of backroads, but no parallel roads to the turnpike so still a long commute.

As Paco so delicately put it, you really don't want to put your kids in Allentown or Easton schools.

I would strongly suggest not buying if you really want to take these jobs, rent for a year.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:19 AM

Your toll for on PA turnpike from

Quakertown to Valley Forge is Cash: $4.75 and E-Z Pass $3.26 (31 miles)
Lehigh Valley to Valley Forge is Cash: $5.70 and E-Z Pass $3.98 (44.5 miles)

More than likely you will get on the PA turnpike in Quakertown, as the entrance is much less busy than Lehigh Valley entrance.

Quakertown (Park-N-Ride) to Philadelphia (30th Street Station) is 70 minutes and $20 round trip. There may be lower fares for daily commutes. The bus continues on for two more stops in downtown Philadelphia.

You can also drive to Lansdale to take a commuter train. Frankly going to events in Philadelphia at Art Museum or Sports arenas are usually easier to drive and park.

New York city is 90-120 minutes each way depending on time you leave, but bus tickets are more than double the price to Philadelphia. Driving into Manhattan can be very expensive when you add in parking.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,712 times
Yes it is Swiftwater PA!
I have been looking onto 511pa this morning and the traffic wasn't looking bad....

where is the form I should fill out?

Thanks

Old 01-15-2015, 06:16 PM

429 posts, read 719,651 times
There is a sticky at the top of the Lehigh Valley page called Help for New or Potential Residents. Start a new thread or copy and paste onto your current thread and fill out the questions. You'll get focused help that way.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:20 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,914 times
Every few weeks I drive to the KOP area during the morning rush hour, and traffic on 476 usually is fine unless there is an accident, especially since they added the third lane to the southern portion. It's still a solid hour to KOP from the Allentown area, maybe more depending on how close you are to the 476 entrance in either Allentown or Quakertown.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I would strongly suggest not buying if you really want to take these jobs, rent for a year.
I think that depends on your situation. If your husband is working at Sanofi Pasteur, and he is likely to stay there until retirement, and you have a good job in KOP, then long commutes may be just part of the price you have to pay. Unfortunately many people have to put up with hour long commutes.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:15 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,808 times
I would not recommend this commute. Halfway between the two would put you somewhere in the Lehigh Valley, which is a fine place to live. But the commute on the Turnpike to KOP is brutal, and there is essentially no alternative, so when there's an accident or construction, you are stuck. (Route 309, the alternate, is traffic lights and stop/go all the way).
To Swiftwater from the Lehigh Valley, you'd take Route 33 north to 80W. Over Blue Mountain, also a tough go in winter.

I agree: trying renting for a year to see if you can hack it. Some people can survive this amount of nail-biting commuting every day; many cannot. I have been commuting since the late 90s, 90-plus minutes each way, and it is not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley