Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 04:48 PM

8 posts, read 11,143 times

Advertisements

Hi all long time lurker need some opinions!!

I'm a Jersey girl tired of the high cost of living in NJ and getting less for your money. I'm thinking of moving to Forks Township or East Stroudsburg. I will continue to commute for some time to NJ for work and eventually try and work in town I am completely aware of the decrease in pay. My question is which area is better and more vibrant for families? I have family out in East Stroudaburg, but they have most of their activities in NJ. Currently I live in an expensive town, but it's walkable, family friend, and the schools are great. I know the high school in Easton isn't the best but I can navigate my child through the school she's already a high achiever. I've been to downtown Easton and the Lehigh Valley mall which is nice. My sister lives in Bethlehem and likes it. Seems like there's more to do in LV vs the pocono mountains. Any opinions? I have 2 children I'm ok with the schools. Probably will purchase a town house and commute into NJ 3x a week. Thanks for the feedback
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 12:08 AM

232 posts, read 278,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somamomma2k17 View Post
Hi all long time lurker need some opinions!!

I'm a Jersey girl tired of the high cost of living in NJ and getting less for your money. I'm thinking of moving to Forks Township or East Stroudsburg. I will continue to commute for some time to NJ for work and eventually try and work in town I am completely aware of the decrease in pay. My question is which area is better and more vibrant for families? I have family out in East Stroudaburg, but they have most of their activities in NJ. Currently I live in an expensive town, but it's walkable, family friend, and the schools are great. I know the high school in Easton isn't the best but I can navigate my child through the school she's already a high achiever. I've been to downtown Easton and the Lehigh Valley mall which is nice. My sister lives in Bethlehem and likes it. Seems like there's more to do in LV vs the pocono mountains. Any opinions? I have 2 children I'm ok with the schools. Probably will purchase a town house and commute into NJ 3x a week. Thanks for the feedback
What part of jersey do you need to travel? if northern, then Poconos along 80 is natural choice.

i would put this way
LV has more jobs, more places to go out and do something and is like little Jersey with lower cost of living.

The Poconos have nicer landscape and more nature definitely for family. if you ski it's the place to be in winter. Overall life is simple here and limited stuff to do .Monroe county has a little more urban feel around Stroudsburg , Route 611 but taxes could be not lowest depends on the property. There's a mix of people with big NYC presence.

if you ask me i would settle for poconos but if job market is important then rather go with valley.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-18-2017 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: fixed typos

Old 09-10-2017, 05:34 PM

Thanks for your reply boney89. Yes I would prefer more of a little Jersey feel. Job market isn't a problem for me because I work in healthcare and can find a decent position in town if I can't commute. I am more familiar with Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg because my family is all there. Just seems Easton is slight more "happening" than the Poconos. Thanks for the info

Old 09-17-2017, 09:24 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Former NJ guy here. Forks Twp is a wonderful place to live and very similar to the suburbs of NJ. With that said, its taxes are high and there is a major problem with the schools. Forks is part of the Easton Area School District. Poorly managed and the high school is in Easton and is a nightmare. It's a shame because Forks is great otherwise but if you have kids in or near high school age it's a serious problem. Consider if you want to put your high achievement daughter in an under funded inner city high school. That's what you'd be doing. If you can swing it and really like Forks, I recommend you include the cost of a private school in your calculations.

Now, having also lived in the Poconos/East Stroudsburg areas, I'd stay away from there entirely.

Consider instead the Lehigh Valley areas where the schools are well rated. Parkland school district and East Penn. You'll be farther west from NJ by a bit, but in some very nice areas with good schools if you choose carefully.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-18-2017 at 04:25 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 03:56 PM

Thanks Johnp292. I think I will look a little further west. Maybe in the Wilson area school district. Thanks you for the info

Old 09-18-2017, 04:35 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
I don't really know what a Jersey feel is, but I agree about looking further West or maybe just find a job and then figure out the best place to live. This is a great site to compare the schools. Pennsylvania has small school districts with often just one High School. This link shows Parkland stats. School Performance Profile: Parkland HS And coming in at #1 for SAT scores, my district, Southern Lehigh: http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/educ..._the_sats.html

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:03 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
LV has a NJ feel. Poconos suck. No rail service in either areas

Old 10-18-2017, 01:30 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Lehigh Valley is commutable to the Philadelphia suburbs or even Phila if you're so inclined. Can't really do that from the Poconos. So, to me that's a pretty big plus.

Taxes in Monroe County are so friggin high and you get nothing for them, so to me its a no brainer.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:14 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
LV has a NJ feel. Poconos suck. No rail service in either areas

Don't tell that to anyone in New Jersey.

Here is a long thread on the topic with best input from a Brooklynite

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...g-poconos.html

Old 01-19-2018, 06:27 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
People want to earn NYC salaries but live in an area with a rural cost of living. I suppose it is doable if you're telecommuting, but otherwise you have to compromise somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley