Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 02:39 AM

9 posts, read 7,192 times

Advertisements

Hello simply a few questions perhaps someone ran into a similiar situation, I currently live in Brooklyn and rent for 1900 a month by myself and thinking this is very expensive at this point as they keep raising it every year. I drive a nyc taxi and in my own(leased) car which is a fusion hybrid that gets about 35 to 45 mpg. I basically set my own hours and drive most of the time. No family or kids or anything. Would renting the cheaper apartments out there be worth the commute 6 days a week? Granted i work in my car and don't have to park anywhere. It seems like it takes about an hour and a half. Would the local police harass me for parking a ny yellow taxi out there? Would it get vandalized? I apologize if this is crazy but i had this thought for a very long time. How is the rental situation out there? Is parking very difficult for a car thats leased and is for work and would have a new york plate? My income is like 3700 to 4800 or so a month depending on the time and credit score is maybe 635
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 05:43 AM

15 posts, read 15,286 times
I'm not sure which area your checking out, LV has 3 small citys within a few miles of each other, the largest being Allentown, surrounded by many towns large and small.I moved to this region from Nj after being priced out several years ago and can tell you its definitely gonna save you money.In Allentown and the surrounding areas rents can be anywhere from 700 to 1500 but unless your renting a multiple bedroom its mostly gonna be max 1000 and you could rent your own house for that.As far as parking out here, if your parked on a street you can get a parking pass from the town and avoid tickets.The only issue I could see is commuting in snow and also the times your heading to the city.In descent conditions with no traffic that commutes an hour and a half , but snow storms or rush hour traffic that commute becomes 3 or 4 hrs sometimes so make sure to plan accordingly.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:15 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
I would suggest looking at only the Eastern-most areas of the Lehigh Valley. My two kids live in Brooklyn and work in NYC. They have commuted from here but found it horrible. Route 78 can come to a standstill with accidents and weather incidents and the bridges back-up frequently. I know it makes a big difference depending on the time of day, but it's a lousy commute. OTOH, you don't really have much to lose if you try it for a year. Your 1900/month rent is in line with what my kids pay and would be about half that here,.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-17-2019 at 03:54 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Yeah i agree on the conditions sometimes coming back from Bronx to Brooklyn like saturday night i would finish about 1 30 to 2 am and it still took almost an hour and a half in traffic to go through fdr and all that. Or how it takes 1 hr 46 mins to get to jfk in rush hour , The commute times will be from about 11 or 12 in the day starting and leaving maybe 12 to 1 am. I have sporty larger wheels/tire combo on my fusion but i also have a set of black steel wheels which i can purchase snow tires for (are they expensive?) and use that set for rougher conditions. The lease on my current place runs out on june 30th.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,906,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempire View Post
Hello simply a few questions perhaps someone ran into a similiar situation, I currently live in Brooklyn and rent for 1900 a month by myself and thinking this is very expensive at this point as they keep raising it every year. I drive a nyc taxi and in my own(leased) car which is a fusion hybrid that gets about 35 to 45 mpg. I basically set my own hours and drive most of the time. No family or kids or anything. Would renting the cheaper apartments out there be worth the commute 6 days a week? Granted i work in my car and don't have to park anywhere. It seems like it takes about an hour and a half. Would the local police harass me for parking a ny yellow taxi out there? Would it get vandalized? I apologize if this is crazy but i had this thought for a very long time. How is the rental situation out there? Is parking very difficult for a car thats leased and is for work and would have a new york plate? My income is like 3700 to 4800 or so a month depending on the time and credit score is maybe 635
Why not rent or buy a house/ townhouse in Jersey (and then rent it out if/ when you get a family)? Without kids, you can live in a "bad" school district and be close to the city.

Without traffic (so assuming no accidents, construction or rush hour), it's about an hour from the PA border to Newark Airport. From Newark to midtown is anywhere from 20 minutes to 1:30.

I have made it from midtown to the PA border in about 1:20, when it was super early or late, but that's still say around 3 hours/ day for 6 days of commuting.

Parking is fine here and I see New York plates all of the time.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:02 PM

We just have all weather tires on all of our cars, no snow tires. Our cars are front wheel drive but we also have an SUV and I call dibs on that in bad weather. It doesn't matter how good your tires are though if there's one lane open due to plowing or accidents. I'm no expert on the commute though. There are many people that do it daily. In my area it's more people that do it a couple of times a week or month but I'm further west and south.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:29 PM

Doubt i can buy anything, renting been sucking me dry! I got about 6500 saved for the move. I hope around the Bethlehem region or even looking at places like bangor, wind gap and nazareth it doesnt seem to cost more than 2 to 2500 to move in all together. Correct me if i am wrong. I mean i survive driving the meanest streets out here everyday i feel like Pennsylvania may seem like paradise after, air is very clean compared to nyc and the honking and congestion outside of my Brooklyn building has gotten out of control!
I just saw this come up for listing,https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...91949471_zpid/ the price alone is worth the commute. Is this a decent area? Will i get mauled by bears or eaten by a pack of siberian wolves? I am about inquire for this listing.

Last edited by Nempire; 06-17-2019 at 05:37 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 05:57 PM

I'd ask in the NEPA forum about Wind Gap. I don't think they will be very encouraging. There's a reason for low prices.

Realtors, See This.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:51 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,906,392 times
Wind Gap is safe and quiet. There is a new St. Luke's facility and you are close enough to the Wegmans/ Target/ Walmart shopping centers.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:57 PM

566 posts, read 573,962 times
My husband commuted to Brooklyn a few days a week and we lived in Easton right by the NJ border. It regularly took him 2.5-3 hours to drive in the morning. The only time he could get in within 1.5 hours was on a Sunday morning. Driving in and back 6 days a week will suck the life out of you especially since you drive around all day anyway as part of your job. You'll have extra gas, tolls, and wear and tear on your vehicle to add to your expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley