Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 AM

14 posts, read 42,258 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are looking at both Public and Private schools in Lehigh Valley. From schoolmatters.com and PA Education Department site we have the school performance data available.

But we could not find similar data for Private school. Which Private elementary schools are considered better in LV? How is Moravian Academy and Swain? Is there other private school we should look at? How challenging is the curriculum?

Could some parent or alumni share his/her experience?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 13,260 times
I do not know much about Swain but Moravian Academy is an excellent school. Their curriculum runs about a year ahead of public schools. It's easier to start your child at pre-k. They observe your child for a day without parents present and they decide where to go from there. If you transfer your child it becomes a harder transition for them because of the advance curriculum. Moravian usually suggests holding your child back a year so it gives them a chance to catch up. But overall they have some wonderful programs for your child and they really recieve an excellent education. I know of first and second grade children who read at a 5th grade level already just to give you an example. Hope this helped.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:15 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Swain and Moravian are the top local privates and the only ones that are not overly church related. Both are excellent schools with very small classes. Another one just outside of this area is Perkiomen Perkiomen School

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 PM

Sarah,

Thank you so much for your quick and thoughtful input! I think it will be a right fit, as our son is currently in a gifted school, and keeping him challenged is what we are looking for him in the school.

Toobusytoday,

Thank you very much for your input. Yes, we are looking for independent school, so it looks like Swain, Moravian and the school you suggested should be our primary focus.

Any other parent on this forum has any other feedback on these schools?

Thanks,
Maria

Old 06-12-2009, 05:51 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Just a PS about Swain and Perkimomen. I personally know a child at each of those schools. The one at Swain has been there since kindergarten and is now entering 6th grade. She is one of the few people I know who is truly gifted and she has been challenged and thrived there.

The child I know at Perkiomen is entering 11th grade and started there in 7th. He was having problems in the public MS and needed smaller classes and teachers that would not let him slip through the cracks as some boys do. He has two older siblings who recently graduated from our local HS so it took the parents a lot of hard thinking to decide to send him to a private school. They really, really researched before deciding to send him to Perkiomen. He has done exceedingly well there and it was a real lifesaver to change schools for him.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:07 PM

7 posts, read 33,190 times
Default Swain is worth it

I attended Swain in the early 80's from preschool to ninth grade. If I could afford to send my child there I would. It is a highly recommended and excellent school. When I transferred to a public school they had to place me a year ahead in all the classes as I already had the credits for classes that they offered to current Sophomores.

When I went to Swain, the classes were extremely small and the homework was brutal. All the teachers were committed and there was a general atmosphere of high achievement. I kid you not, They gave me the SATs in seventh grade. I can't say I scored all that well then, but at least I was given the opportunity and it really helped shape my current work ethic.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:20 PM

reznix,

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable experience. So far it looks like academically Swain is better. For extra-curricular activities, specially music, Moravian Academy is better.

Is our impression correct?

Thanks,
Maria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley