Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:57 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times

Advertisements

It's another beautiful day in NEPA! The sun is shining, birds are chirping, temperatures are in the upper-60s, and there's hardly a cloud in the sky. After a "farewell breakfast" to send off my best friend Meg to new endeavors in Cincinatti (she'll always be my "Grace," and I'll always be her "Will"), I was inspired to likewise head on out for my own adventure. I began to think of local county seats that I have yet to photograph, and it became a toss-up between several that I eventually narrowed down to Stroudsburg or Jim Thorpe. I decided to flip a coin---heads would be Stroudsburg and tails would be Jim Thorpe. Tails won, so I hopped onto I-476 for my 40-minute journey to what I've now dubbed the "Little Paris" of Carbon County!

I have approximately 100 photos to show you of this gorgeous community, so please, as always, hold off on posting a reply until I've finished posting them all so that your words won't get lost in the fray.

Enjoy what is to come, and feel free to make suggestions for new photo tours in the upcoming weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 12:32 PM

Smile Welcome to Jim Thorpe, PA

As you leave Penn Forest Township and enter the community from the northeast via Route 901, this beautiful little park that houses the remains of the famed Olympic athlete Jim Thorpe, for whom the town is named, lures in passers-by to learn more about this man and to pay their final respects to him.

(PHOTOS CONTINUED BELOW)

Old 05-14-2007, 12:44 PM

Smile Lower Broadway, Hazard Square, Susquehanna Street, Lehigh Riverfront

This attractive sign beckons tourists into the center of town.

After paying $3 to park my car in a nearby lot, I couldn't help but notice these two beautiful scenes to the rear of the parking lot---a spot that might be missed by otherwise unsavvy tourists' eyes. Pictured here is the Lehigh River, a popular spot for whitewater rafting trips due to its rapids and swift current.

While walking between the parking lot and the downtown area, I snapped a photo of this beautiful train engine on the nearby tracks. Fall foliage train excursions along these tracks become quite popular with tourists.

JT's Steak & Ale House along Hazard Square.

A monument erected along Hazard Square to honor those from the community who paid the ultimate sacrifice during the American Civil War.

Seen here is the historic train station that has since been converted into a visitors' center. The mountain backdrop truly has to be seen to be appreciated (as you'll see in future photos!)

A gift shop along Hazard Square.

The scene as you leave the downtown area headed towards Tamaqua along Route 209 South.

The corner of Susquehanna & Race, home to the town's Episcopal Church and a bike rental and accessory store---one of two in the immediate Hazard Square area.

(PHOTOS CONTINUED BELOW)

Old 05-14-2007, 01:08 PM

Smile Broadway, Jim Thorpe's "Main Street" Corridor

I will now show you several dozen images of Broadway, a windy, narrow, steep roadway that is lined with specialty shops in restored historic buildings as well as some ornate rowhome-style dwellings as it zig-zags up the hill away from the Hazard Square. Jim Thorpe is split in half by the Lehigh River, and this is the main commercial artery for the western half of town (The east side across the brige is primarily residential and will not be featured in this tour).

Looking up the first block of Broadway at the intersection of Susquehanna Avenue.

The opposite side of the first block of Broadway, with the Carbon County Courthouse on the far-right at the intersection of Susquehanna Avenue and Hazard Square. The famed, supposedly-haunted "Inne at Jim Thorpe" is the red-brick building on the left.

Looking downhill at the first block of Broadway.

Sneaking a peek over to Race Street, which runs parallel to Broadway.

Another inviting streetscape of Broadway. I was following those two men down the hill for several blocks and was fairly certain that they were a couple. Perhaps there's an LGBT-friendly atmosphere here in Jim Thorpe?

Jim Thorpe YMCA

Boy oh boy did that milk shake place on the right look tempting today! Too bad I'm working on my six-pack for swim suit season!

This woman in front of me seemed a bit worried that I was a terrorist or something, as she kept looking over her shoulder at me as I followed her up the hill snapping photos. Gotta love the nosy people in these little PA hamlets!

Mauch Chunk Opera House (The town's old name before it was renamed to honor the famed athlete).

An attractive church on Broadway

Here's a former fire station wedged between the church and opera house that has been tastefully converted into an art gallery.

Ascending further up the hill into the more residential areas of the west side of town. I'm especially loving that flashy PT Cruiser! Liberals unite!

Some more rowhomes from along West Broadway

Key West, anyone?

Provincetown, anyone?

Carbon County Jail

Looking back down the hill a little bit.

Pretty in pink.

A new flooring business in town.

Phoenix Hose Company

I found this guy perched on a front porch along West Broadway. Do you think even HE would refuse to go on a date with me? Now that's what I call a POTHEAD!

Immaculate Conception Church. This beautiful stone structure prompted me to snap two photos of it---the first one is headed uphill, and the second one is looking downhill.

A stream runs underneath the roadway near to the church.

I guess these neighbors just couldn't help themselves in trying to duplicate each others' dwellings! LOL!

"For Sale by Owner." I'm surprised this home wasn't snatched up yet!

Is it about time for me to get a new car yet?

(PHOTOS CONTINUED BELOW)

Old 05-14-2007, 01:10 PM

Smile High Street

Here's a few scenes from aptly-named "High" Street. This narrow streets runs parallel to Broadway, but it is on the top of a very steep incline with views that overlook the streets below.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Smile Race Street

Here are some scenes from along Race Street, which is wedged between Broadway and High Streets.

I guess the "New Yahker" influence is spreading more quickly than I thought! Bring it on!

Now that's one gem of a classic car!

The sudden jagged cliffside that delineates Race Street from High Street, which runs above it. There are a few steep, zig-zagging private stairways that link the two streets.

(PHOTOS CONTINUED BELOW)

Old 05-14-2007, 01:20 PM

Smile Packer Hill Road

Jutting up a steep hill from Hazard Square is Packer Hill Road, home to two estate homes from the town's elite former residents, Asa and Harry Packer.

Asa Packer Mansion, open for tours.

Harry Packer Mansion, converted into a bed and breakfast.

A carriage house next-door to the Harry Packer Mansion.

Another view of the mansions from a nearby park.

A few scenes from Kemmerer Park, across the street from the mansions.

A private dwelling next-door to the mansions.

After curving up and around a steep hill, Packer Hill Road turns into Center Street, which, along with North and South Avenues, is the last road in the West Side of town that runs parallel to Broadway. This neighborhood didn't seem to have quite the same allure that the rest of the West Side did, so I decided to end my photo tour in this area.

(END)

Old 05-15-2007, 07:31 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,799 times
Nice pix Paul!! Have you ever thought about being a professional photographer instead of an accountant??? You'ld make the big bucks & then you could hire your own PERSONAL accountant!!!

Glad it's warming up up there & nice & green for you guys!! Jim Thorpe looks like a great place to live!! How close are necessities?? ( food/doctor/dentist/beer distributor )

Old 05-15-2007, 06:40 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
Beautiful pics, as always Paul! This is a town that I have always wanted to visit, just walk around for the day and have lunch there. Where is a good place to go for lunch?

Old 05-15-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Beautiful pics, as always Paul! This is a town that I have always wanted to visit, just walk around for the day and have lunch there. Where is a good place to go for lunch?
I always liked the Black Bread Cafe. It's a small Mediterranean/Greek place in a rowhome along Race Street, just behind Broadway. The Sunrise Diner also looked quite inviting, as did the JT's Steak & Ale House next door. There was a cute little "Nana's Ice Cream Shoppe" also on Broadway to cap off a wonderful meal (it's up the hill a ways so you can burn off a few of those calories from the gyros you devour at the Black Bread Cafe!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley