Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 05:33 AM

891 posts, read 3,053,636 times

Advertisements

Here is an excerpt from Kiplnger's article

LEXINGTON, KENTUCKY

The Lexington area has exactly what youUd expect to find in Kentucky: beautiful horse farms, bourbon distilleries and crazed University of Kentucky basketball fans.

But it also has a lot you wouldn't expect in the middle of Bluegrass Country: a thriving underground art and music scene, an eccentric annual masquerade ball held in offbeat locales, a large gay community and a popular nude art show.

Surprised? Although the six-county Lexington metro area is on the small side (population about 411,000), it's not provincial. The horse industry draws people from around the world, and the area's 15 colleges and universities attract enlightened minds, making the population younger than the national average and among the most educated in the nation. Grads from those schools tend to stick around because of the range of job opportunities, from major employers, such as Toyota and printer maker Lexmark International, to small arts groups and nonprofit organizations.

For young singles, rental housing is relatively inexpensive. You can find a two-bedroom apartment in a stately house downtown for $650, or a one-bedroom for less than $500. Unfortunately, many of the urban lofts being developed in former tobacco-processing plants are pricey. Expect to pay up to $210,000 for one of these 1,200-square-foot condo units. -- Cameron Huddleston

Old 07-10-2007, 05:44 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Gee... what a hip idea. When we start considering the size of city's gay community as good... wow...

Old 07-10-2007, 09:30 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Gee... what a hip idea. When we start considering the size of city's gay community as good... wow...
Oh do I smell sarcasm? If so, I agree ...

Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
Sadly, people like you two homophobes give places like KY a bad name. When I think of an area that is welcoming to gays, I think of a progressive, tolerant place made up of educated, thinking people. I hate to stereotype, but often gay people tend to contribute to an area's art and music scene. They appreciate culture and fine dining. Often, they do not have children, thus there is more disposable income to put back into the economy. And no, I am not gay, but I have no problem living amongst them, whatsoever.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Sadly, people like you two homophobes give places like KY a bad name. When I think of an area that is welcoming to gays, I think of a progressive, tolerant place made up of educated, thinking people. I hate to stereotype, but often gay people tend to contribute to an area's art and music scene. They appreciate culture and fine dining. Often, they do not have children, thus there is more disposable income to put back into the economy. And no, I am not gay, but I have no problem living amongst them, whatsoever.
I'm not a homophobe, I'm not afraid of gays. I just don't feel like trying to explain it to my kids are a young age, hasn't the parents in the world today got enough to deal with? I've already had to explain to my daughter why 2 guys were lip locked in a park while in another town. Be progressive all you want I proud to be a conservative, as is most of the state.
Sure some gays go out into public and you have no idea their gay, fine. Some on the other hand go for the shock factor of "Hey look at me I'm gay!", not fine. You are in the Bible belt and I think you know the position on that. Ask questions before you start name calling, please. I doubt we give KY a bad name anymore than you do.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:36 AM

688 posts, read 3,039,120 times
Thanks for the article, lexingtongal! Quick reps to you!

It is nice to see something that highlights the unique and diverse offerings that Lexington has, realizing that it is more than just a miniature version of Louisville.

As far as Bible Belt conservatives, we have them in Lexington, too. There is such a diverse range of people in Lexington, including gays, lesbians, and independent fundamental Baptists, that it really makes it an interesting city with a rich cultural center, revitalizing downtown area, and even traditional conservative suburban neighborhoods.

If that makes you uncomfortable, then choose another town. There are plenty of people that are drawn here for those very reasons.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:44 AM

283 posts, read 1,026,271 times
Great posts nlschr0 and lexingtongal. As usual! I am so glad you two are posting here, because if not I would be truly frightened at the thought of moving to KY, given some of the idiotic comments I read on these threads from narrow-minded people with no tolerance for anyone who isn't exactly like themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Thanks for the article, lexingtongal! Quick reps to you!

It is nice to see something that highlights the unique and diverse offerings that Lexington has, realizing that it is more than just a miniature version of Louisville.

As far as Bible Belt conservatives, we have them in Lexington, too. There is such a diverse range of people in Lexington, including gays, lesbians, and independent fundamental Baptists, that it really makes it an interesting city with a rich cultural center, revitalizing downtown area, and even traditional conservative suburban neighborhoods.

If that makes you uncomfortable, then choose another town. There are plenty of people that are drawn here for those very reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: