Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,421 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am going to be moving to Kentucky for a job in Harrodsburg. I was wondering where some good places to rent an apartment would be! Any advice would help since I am from Chicago and have no idea about the location.

I'm going to be a recent college grad, so I wanted more of a city life. I do not mind the drive to work as long as it less then 45min. Also I'm looking for a 1 bedrooms for around 700 a month. Mainly, I want somewhere safe.

Please help since I have no idea what I'm doing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 12:37 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,815,584 times
Look at a map and look at Southwest Lexington. Draw an arc from Parkers Mill Road, past Harrodsburg Road, Clays Mill Road and stop at Nicholasville Road. This has been, until the last five years, the premier place to live in Lexington. Now that award has gone to SE Lexington with all its new developments, but that will be quite a stretch considering your commute.

Within SW Lexington you'll find neighborhoods that probably have a sense of neighborhoods, *generally* better traffic flow than much of the rest of the city (although Harrodsburg and Nicholasville Rds. can be real PITAs), and a very safe environment. Take a look on Craigslist and Kentucky.com and see what you can find.

To get to work, you simply could take Harrodsburg Rd. (US 68) and go against the flow of traffic. Especially considering that the state just completed 4-laning the road almost to Wilmore (halfway point), you could be in Harrodsburg in 30-35 minutes. It used to take 35-40 minutes. Just know that from Wilmore to Harrodsburg the road can be very curvy and dangerous. Coming home from work you also would be going against the flow of traffic.

A less direct but less curvy route would be to take Versailles Rd. (US 60) west past the airport, merge onto the Bluegrass Parkway westbound, then take US 127 south to Harrodsburg. It would take slightly longer, but would add probably ten miles each way. This would be better during snow and ice when US 68 may not be optimal.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,421 times
thanks so much for this great info!

also, if i decide the commute is too much, do you know of any nice communities that are closer?? thanks!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,921,131 times
Harrodsburg itself is a charming, very historic town, but I have no idea what the scene for someone in your age bracket might be there. Danville is a bit larger and is a college town with a little more lively cultural life than Harrodsburg. Danville is also an easy commute to Harrodsburg (and avoids the spectacularly beautiful but narrow, hilly, and winding Kentucky River Palisades stretch of US 68, a road which might not be the easiest drive in winter).

$700 should provide you with a very nice apartment or townhouse in any of these communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area