Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,345 times

Advertisements

Hi All--

I did a few searches for realtor recommendations but thought I might receive some better recommendations if I shared more about what my wife and I are looking for in a house.

I'll be working in Georgetown but we'd prefer living in Lexington. We're interested in an older home and prefer neighborhoods with nearby shopping (preferably that we can walk to). Our budget is no more than $150,000 as we're taking a bit of a hit from where we're moving. We have a daughter that just turn two so having families around us would be great, as well. It's likely we won't be in the area for more than three or four years so schools aren't a huge concern.

We don't know a soul in Lexington so we're stumped with how to find a realtor or a neighborhood that might suit us--any ideas you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 PM

969 posts, read 2,820,359 times
For older neighborhoods in that price range, my picks would be the 2nd block of Kenwick, Southland, Gardenside and Meadowthorpe. The Southland area is probably the most well rounded for nice houses, near by shopping, and resale potential. Meadowthorpe will have nice houses and be an easier commute to Georgetown.

I know you won't hear any other realtor tell you this, but if you are only going to be here absolutely no longer than 4 years, I think I might rent rather than buy.....unless ofcourse your company has relocation benefits that will pay the commission when you sell. Our market is stable, but pretty flat. My concern for you would be that you can only sell your house for roughly what you paid for it and then have to back out 5-6% of the equity for a realtor. Unless the numbers work in your favor, I'd rent.

If you do decide to buy, I think you are going to have to make sure you don't overpay for a house and get something with solid resale potential.....Also, a house that is going to have enough life left in the roof and HVAC to pass on to the next buyer. You don't want to get stuck paying for those since they really don't contribute much to market value.

I've got some posts on my blog that may interest you. Go to my profile page on here and click the link if you want to read them.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,282 times
Village at Tates Creek is a great neighborhood. It is right at the intersection of Man O' War & Tates Creek. It has a Walmart and a Kroger at walking distance.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
The Tates Creek and Man o' War area has been criticized in other threads recently - I'd surely read them before I decided to live there. That said, I have friends who live in this part of town and like it very much. Some of the newer areas there are very nice, indeed - while some of the overbuilt rental apartments seem to be a bit unkempt and questionable. Some, not all. However, this area is undeniably convenient and easily accessible to many other parts of town via both Man o" War Drive and New Circle Road.

devmaz, I believe you'll find that the WalMart you mention is limited to a supermarket - it's not a full-blown Wal-Mart (though one isn't far away, off Nicholasville Road and Man o' War).

I concur with the recommendation of Southland-Twin Oaks. It has lots of 1950s ranch houses and Cape Cods which are well-kept, large yards, trees, shopping, schools, churches and parks within easy walking distance. Check out the neighborhoods around Southview Drive and Clays Mill Road south of Rosemont. Southland Park has playgrounds and a big swimming pool, and is adjacent to two school campuses which extend its usable walking space. Good public and church-affiliated schools serve the Southland area.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 3,704 times
In your situation I definitely recommend looking in Meadowthorpe. It's a quite neighborhood, built in the 1950s, with plenty you can walk to. Across Leestown there are restaurants and a Kroger, and beside it there is a shopping center with a Goodwill, vintage record and clothing store, and other things. It's also the closest to your work of all the recommended neighborhoods. I live there myself and enjoy it. There is a neighborhood association (dues are voluntary) and they host potlucks and things like that, so you will have opportunity to meet neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area