Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM

891 posts, read 3,053,636 times

Advertisements

Rupp District - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I think he also wants to convert the one way streets back to their original two way form, which I really support. Lex already has a better downtown than many larger metro areas that I've been to like Dayton, Toledo, even Knoxville.

Of course the best thing about downtown Lex is not have massive freeway intersections hogging up prime land. I hope Cincy and Louisville both get a clue and remove their downtown freeways

Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 PM

891 posts, read 3,053,636 times
I agree on the need for two way streets. I hope it doesn't take years to accomplish.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I agree on the need for two way streets. I hope it doesn't take years to accomplish.
I second both points.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,633 times
I actually like the one way streets -- believe it or not, they make traffic flow smoother.

Though I would love to see downtown Lexington revamped. The idea of bringing back the old creek is just awesome!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM

218 posts, read 637,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
... The idea of bringing back the old creek is just awesome!
If by awesome you mean that it is scary, then you would be right. As I posted elsewhere.

First of all, any resurfacing of the Town Branch would require a major realignment of the water flow since the natural,and now vaulted, channel runs beneath our valued Rupp Arena. To take it on the Main St. side of the building then puts in a concrete flume, either set below the existing grade by ten feet + or replicating a channel at the current surface with water from an unknown source. Remember that the current water surface is approximately ten or more feet below our existing Vine St. and barely eight feet wide and typically not much more than six inches in depth. Greenville's river is considerably wider and deeper than that.

I know that there are children who wade and play on the rocks in the Phoenix park water(despite warning signs prohibiting it) and they play in the water of the fountain in Thoroughbred Park but that water is filtered and chlorinated for safety. The water in Town Branch is raw storm sewage which has been underground since the intersection of Third St and Winchester Rd. How much parking lot or industrial run off do you suppose there is in that water?

I do not see going to the expense of trenching to the natural level of the creek or creating a Disney-like replica just for show.

They don't say where they will get the money or even how much that little escapade will cost, but the community just cannot afford it.

Look at the problems that have plagued the CentrePointe project.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 AM

442 posts, read 540,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think he also wants to convert the one way streets back to their original two way form, which I really support. Lex already has a better downtown than many larger metro areas that I've been to like Dayton, Toledo, even Knoxville.

Of course the best thing about downtown Lex is not have massive freeway intersections hogging up prime land. I hope Cincy and Louisville both get a clue and remove their downtown freeways
Toledo's is coming along far more quickly than Lexington's, though, sadly.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 10,080 times
Hopefully this plan includes some modern, luxury rentals for young professionals. There aren't really any "nice" places down town to live as far as I know. Although 500's on Main and the Lofts at Main and Rose are awesome, just no renting option as far as I know.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:55 PM

218 posts, read 637,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckage View Post
Although 500's on Main and the Lofts at Main and Rose are awesome, just no renting option as far as I know.
I would say that more of them are leased than you know. Maybe as much as 1 in 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area