Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 12,067 times

Advertisements

My family and I are more than likely moving to McKee within the next 2 or 3 months and I just needed some info that I'm not finding online.

What are the schools like? I looked online and it's just a jumble to me. 2 of my 4 are in advanced classes here and I wonder if their needs will be met educationally.

What is available for recreation? Are there public pools around? Or possibly lakes with lifeguards?

Internet is another big thing for our household. I know the house is cable ready, but what does McKee offer in the means of internet? Is there broadband or DSL?

TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 05:55 AM

486 posts, read 1,896,569 times
I can honestly say that I'd never heard of McKee until two minutes ago when I read this post. It's in Jackson County in SE Kentucky. You're more than likely to get many more responses if you repost this on the general Kentucky forum. This section is really for greater Lexington questions.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:36 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrmdonez View Post
My family and I are more than likely moving to McKee within the next 2 or 3 months and I just needed some info that I'm not finding online.

What are the schools like? I looked online and it's just a jumble to me. 2 of my 4 are in advanced classes here and I wonder if their needs will be met educationally.

What is available for recreation? Are there public pools around? Or possibly lakes with lifeguards?

Internet is another big thing for our household. I know the house is cable ready, but what does McKee offer in the means of internet? Is there broadband or DSL?

TIA!!
I don't know a lot about McKee but I have been there a few times. It's very small. Jackson County has only 13,000 people. I don't know about the schools, but I do know they miss a lot of school due to weather every year. It doesn't take much snow at all for school to be cancelled. More than likely it's due to the curvy, hilly roads that are everywhere in Jackson County.

I'm sure DSL exists. Though I'm not sure. The phone company there is Peoples Rural Telephone Cooperative. PRTC 606-287-7101 It lists DSL on their website.

There is no McDonalds, no Wal Mart, no Kroger. They have a couple of small grocery stores. It's very small but it's a very beautiful county, great scenery.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
It is the third poorest place in Kentucky, with a median income of only $7,589

Kentucky locations by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-10-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It is the third poorest place in Kentucky, with a median income of only $7,589

Kentucky locations by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That info cannot be right. Plus, you got it from Wikipedia. This website is known to have lots of errors or inaccuracies.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 AM

By the way most people in Jackson County live in the Tyner, Annville areas instead of McKee.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:03 PM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times
As far as public pools.I'm pretty sure the closest one is in London at Levi Jackson State Park. There is a lake near Tyner, which is about ten miles or so from McKee. It's rather small, and used more as a reservoir..although fishing is probably popular there. If you all move to Jackson County, you will find that most of your shopping/healthcare/recreation will be done at London or up in Lexington. Regarding high speed internet...there may be DSL around the McKee area, but I would suspect that further out in Jackson co there is only dial up access..

Old 04-11-2008, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 12,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
As far as public pools.I'm pretty sure the closest one is in London at Levi Jackson State Park. There is a lake near Tyner, which is about ten miles or so from McKee. It's rather small, and used more as a reservoir..although fishing is probably popular there. If you all move to Jackson County, you will find that most of your shopping/healthcare/recreation will be done at London or up in Lexington. Regarding high speed internet...there may be DSL around the McKee area, but I would suspect that further out in Jackson co there is only dial up access..

Does anyone know who the DSL carrier is so I could contact them and find out if there is access at the address?

TIA

Nevermind, I found the info in a previous post, but thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Chrmdonez; 04-11-2008 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,713 times
Smile Jackson County school system

I live in Jackson and some of my friends have went to school here. Unfortunately from what I've heard The Jackson County school system is in pretty sorry shape. Seems like they can invest $250,000 for a Jackson County "Visitor Center" but they can't afford a new copy machine? Anyway this is all second hand information and like the other poster said the roads are pretty curvy and dangerous. So it doesn't take much to close the schools down. But a nicer place you wouldn't find.

The people are very pleasant and good-natured. We've got great Internet access "DSL" and We've even got cable TV!.

And liquor/everything else you could want is less than 60 minutes away in Richmond. A town with a population of over 30,000 Richmond is located in Kentucky's Madison county, about 20 miles from Lexington. Richmond's got pretty much everything you could ever want!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:50 PM

820 posts, read 2,867,895 times
Jackson County + snow = many snow days for the kiddos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area