Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 09:11 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times

Advertisements

In general we are shifting our focus from Chevy Chase because of price and minimum availability and need to look further away, but want to stay within the south or southwest quadrant generally because our daughter is in Ashland.

We are retirees. I realize I have been muttering about Lexington for well over a year but we have not been able to settle on an area and aren't familiar at all with the subdivisions down by New Circle Road and over to the Beaumont area. Are those all mainly just family areas? Some of the writeups about Beaumont sounded like there was good shopping nearby and we saw several interesting townhouses online.

I will be glad to hear anyone's opinions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 05:03 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Is your daughter in Ashland, KY, or does she attend or teach at Ashland School??

Both Shadeland and Beaumont are very nice areas, but Shadeland is considerably closer to Ashland Elementary School.

Beaumont is newer and on the far side of New Circle Road, off Harrodburg Road. Shadeland is within New Circle, off Tates Creek Road, and is convenient to Chevy Chase shopping center, Cassidy, Morton, and Christ the King Schools, and UK. Both are family areas, but I would suspect that Shadeland would have more older residents, just because it's been there considerably longer.

Other pleasant areas you might consider would include Stonewall, off Clays Mill Road past New Circle (no intersection there) and Lansdowne, farther out Tates Creek Road. Neither is particularly close to Ashland School, which is on North Ashland Avenue, a few blocks north of Main Street/Richmond Road.

There are some very nice houses on older streets close to the school, and Ashland Park is quite close. Availability and prices might be considerations for these areas, though.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
There are some lovely, charming older neighborhoods on the northern end of town, where identical property is considerably cheaper than the southern end.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:29 AM

I meant Ashland, the area of Lexington. She works at the university. We were trying to get close and then realized we were sacrificing lots to try and get that close, plus the market seems pretty thin there. So we've started looking further south.

I saw Rabbit Run with those condos - are they for over 55's? And the townhouses in Beaumont right in the circle, around Beacon Street - would they be all young families? Shadeland and Lansdowne seem to have more choice than the Chevy Chase area, at the moment, at least, for what we want to spend. I do notice quite a few ads say, "Inside New Circle Road." Is it more desirable to be inside New Circle, or ....? I will look for Stonewall, not sure exactly where that is. (we're doing all this remotely at the moment).
Thanks for any more thoughts, anyone.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:15 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
From City Data's very own Lexpert....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaiDcOcHcNQ&t=3s

^Beaumont Area (It was from back in 2010 though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miMgfkmGKT0

^The Village at Rabbit Run (Stonewall is an older neighborhood right next to Rabbit Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e39KmecPy4
^Stonewall Area

Were you looking for a Home, Apartment or Condo?

Old 02-26-2018, 06:24 PM

Thank you, Crazee Cat Lady!

Old 02-27-2018, 06:04 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Sorry about the confusion over "Ashland" - here in Lexington, Ashland is going to refer to either the avenue, the Henry Clay estate, or the elementary school or the city 125 or so miles to the east. The area around the Henry Clay Estate is called "Ashland Park". It's not a city park, but an older residential area.

If you want to live close to Ashland Park but not in Chevy Chase, I'd suggest checking out Fairway (pricey) or Idlehour (not pricy), or perhaps the first blocks of the streets across Richmond Road from Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate: Bassett, Owsley Avenues, etc. For Idlehour, St Margaret Drive is nicer and a bit newer than the other streets, all of which bear saints' names.

The streets between Woodland Park and Main Street may also work, and North Ashland Avenue and the streets off of it - Bullock, Cramer - might be of interest if you enjoy older houses. All of these are older neighborhoods, with Idlehour, built in the 1950s, being the most recent, but architecture is varied and construction is generally sound in the older areas.

Mt. Vernon, the small area directly across from Morton Middle School (which resembles the Washington mansion) was also built in the 1950s and may offer something - it's adjacent to Chevy Chase and often gets confused for Chevy Chase.

Much of Lexington is still fairly compact and easy to navigate most of the time. It would take about ten or fifteen minutes to reach Chevy Chase or Ashland Park from Southland except during rush hours, for example, using cross streets like Albany Road, Pasadena Drive, Cooper Drive, or Alumni Drive. Lexington's layout is like a wheel with spokes, with cross streets connecting the spokes. Similarly, it takes about fifteen minutes to reach the UK campus from Southland, though parking and reaching classrooms may take longer (this last is true no matter where you live).

I hope you can visit Lexington this spring, when the weather and scenery are at their best, and get a feel for the place yourselves. Good luck finding your place.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:09 AM

Thank you everyone for all your input. We will have to get out the map and zillow, etc., and try to parse these suggestions and ideas into something we can understand.

I love these forums - everyone comes through for you, no matter what the need.

Last edited by Yac; 12-09-2020 at 02:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area