Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 PM

31 posts, read 84,308 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 30s, single and have a strong inclination that my current job search will end with me deciding on Kentucky, specifically Lexington. I've never lived in the South, so all of this is a bit weird to me, but...the opportunity is a good one and having looked online at Lexington, I've assuaged my fears a bit about the possibility of ending up there.

Anyway, looking for tips from folks in the know. Mostly interested in where "not" to live, perhaps new developments or so forth that might be worth noting and anything else that a newcomer ought to know about the area, because it's just not an area I have any real familiarity with at all.

I do have one friend in town who'll be helpful too, but wanted a range of opinions.

Quote:
-Where you are working: Lexington.
-How much you are willing to spend on housing. $1300
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: 15-20 minutes
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? (N/A)
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? City. No suburbia. No small town.
-Community amenities important to you: Supermarket close by.
-Pie or cake? No wheat, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 04:45 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Are you wanting to live in a city High Rise Apartment or are you looking for a house or townhouse?
Do you like old? New? Do you want walk-ability or need to live on a bus-line? Pets?
Do you wish to be near bars/nightspots or do you like the quiet? Do you need a place with a fitness center/pool/tennis courts, etc? <Or do you consider that overkill? (I am just trying to get a feel here for who you are, to better answer your question). You can tolerate a 15 - 20 minute commute (where will your work be located?)

Being that you said that you want no suburbia or small town....Maybe you would like to live in the heart of the city in a high rise, from what I hear Park Plaza may be the best.

Park Plaza Apartments - Lexington, KY 40507 | Apartments for Rent

Park Plaza

Old 11-27-2013, 04:32 PM

31 posts, read 84,308 times
Townhouse or High Rise apartment preferably. I have a car, so no need for busline. I don't have any pets. I prefer the hotspots, don't care about a fitness center/tennis court, etc. Park Plaza looks interesting, thanks for that!

Work is in Versailles.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:12 PM

Yes Park Plaza is probably the best located Apartment in Lexington - within walking distance of bars, restaurants and the very heart of the city really. Versailles is only 15 to 20 minutes away from Lexington, so you should be able to do the commute back in the 15 to 20 minutes easily (except maybe in 5:00 rush hour traffic - but then again most of the traffic is moving away from downtown Lexington, not towards it.)

Old 02-03-2018, 08:30 AM

76 posts, read 150,965 times
I am looking forward to retiring in Lexington in a few years. I won't have a car so I need to live on a bus line near a bus stop with a bench... as cheap as possible without being unsafe. My impression is that no place in unsafe in Lexington. I hope to be within a short walk of a good grocery, a bank, and a pharmacy.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:17 AM

76 posts, read 150,965 times
I read poor reviews of Park Plaza highrise. Does anyone know if things are better there now?

Old 09-03-2018, 02:54 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,016 times
The many times I have visited my son in downtown Lexington, I have come away shell shocked from the constant train and hospital and police activity. Non-stop sirens. The UK med center generates so much noise and the train system in town is very active. I could not live downtown due to all of the noise.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:56 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephaestion View Post
I am looking forward to retiring in Lexington in a few years. I won't have a car so I need to live on a bus line near a bus stop with a bench... as cheap as possible without being unsafe. My impression is that no place in unsafe in Lexington. I hope to be within a short walk of a good grocery, a bank, and a pharmacy.
If you are Caucasian, you want to stay far away from Chesnutt Street. As my lawyer friend would say, only two reasons for a Caucasian to be there. One to buy drugs and the other to get killed.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:18 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
The many times I have visited my son in downtown Lexington, I have come away shell shocked from the constant train and hospital and police activity. Non-stop sirens. The UK med center generates so much noise and the train system in town is very active. I could not live downtown due to all of the noise.
The train system??

There is no passenger train service in Lexington anymore, alas, and the remaining tracks are on the edges of downtown at best.

The UK Med Center is about a mile from downtown, and most ambulances do not travel through downtown to reach it. I suppose emergency vehicles coming off I-64 or the northern part of I-75 might take Midland Avenue or North Broadway and cross Main Street, but other emergency traffic would be local and not much more downtown than in other parts of town. The police station is located on Main Street, so it's not uncommon to see police cars and hear their sirens...but I don't think you could confuse them with train whistles.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't say that there is no place in Lexington that is unsafe. But the city has a relatively low crime rate for it's size, I think. I have never felt fear or being in danger of my life here. I live in the Southwest part of the city.

A lot of it is relative as to where you are coming from...if you are coming from Chicago, NYC or LA
it will seem almost crime free, if you are coming from a small town in Kansas, it might seem like crime city.

Crime Map
LexisNexis® Community Crime Map

https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are...s-of-kentucky/

Quote:
I read poor reviews of Park Plaza highrise. Does anyone know if things are better there now?
Reviews
The Reviews on Google seem pretty good. My Son knew some people who lived there and liked it.
They don't have a bad reputation. I kind of got the impression from people talking that they are kind of
posh in a way. They are expensive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
If you are Caucasian, you want to stay far away from Chesnutt Street. As my lawyer friend would say, only two reasons for a Caucasian to be there. One to buy drugs and the other to get killed.
Is it only unsafe from Caucasians? People of other races will be okay though, right?This doesn't sound racist much!

I have been there...and it wasn't because I wanted drugs or to be killed. It didn't stand out to me, that I might be killed at any minute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area