Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:41 PM

270 posts, read 935,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger15 View Post
Awesome, I will do that. Thanks for the info. Also, major employers seem to be UK, Lexmark and a couple of hospitals. Any other big business in town?
Yes, you've hit some of the big ones -- UK is the largest employer. The second largest employer for Lexington is actually Toyota Motor Manufacturing, located in Georgetown (a short 15-20 minute drive).

Here's a link from Commerce Lexington that identifies the major employers and their contact info: http://www.commercelexington.com/doc_lib/major_area_employers.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:48 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,436 times
Other employers include amazon, Toyota, FedEx, Transylvania University, some good-sized hotels... anything to do with the horse-racing industry (tracks, farms, publications such as Bloodhorse magazine, the Kentucky Horse Park)... A good businessperson is invaluable in so many fields- medical, legal, architectural firms all need a businessperson on staff. It's a shame about the economy being the way it is right now. I hope you get something lined up soon!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:16 PM

603 posts, read 2,340,428 times
I would look for a job before I moved. When we moved this past July, I had already accepted a job. My husband still hasn't found a job. Now we moved from Lexington to Knoxville so it's slightly different, but the job market is similar. If I didn't have a spouse with a job in hand, I would get a job before I moved.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:43 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,574,985 times
This site lists the larger employers in each county in Kentucky. It does not list large employers such as school districts, banks or hospitals however.

Community Index | The Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development
After you choose a county, click on "Business and Industry" for a listing of larger employers in each county.

Last edited by InLondon; 01-09-2009 at 07:52 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 PM

137 posts, read 294,840 times
Okay, so I made my mind up and I'm coming! Thanks to everyone for hooking me up with multiple sites and numbers to aid in my search.

Once I find gainful employment(keep your fingers crossed for me!) I'll let y'all know. I'm real hopeful b/c I've absolutely flooded the market with my resume, but just online so far. So we'll see. This is crazy but pretty exciting too.

Also, since I'm single, where can I go to meet people? I don't wanna be "that guy" hanging around UK bars and I do plan on going to church. But are there any other places around town? Is downtown happening?

Last edited by dodger15; 01-14-2009 at 11:08 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM

6 posts, read 11,511 times
I'd save a few months of living expenses first as finding a job takes time. Until you land it, call all the temp. services who will keep you busy with "any job" until you land "the one". I've lived in lex. before & its nice but its not something great to run back to as people can be snobby for men who are single as its called a "married town".Traffic is bad..& on weekends its a madhouse of traffic. The weather isn't really good as there are 4-5 months of bla..no sun weather.But, its a clean city but I'd stay away from the north end. why not move to the carolinas as the weather is better, the women are prettier & nicer...try concord, nc...maybe 70,000 people..great weather & its very clean.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,574,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina901 View Post
why not move to the carolinas as the weather is better, the women are prettier & nicer.
That made me laugh. Of course it's not true at all....

Old 04-28-2009, 08:31 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina901 View Post
I'd save a few months of living expenses first as finding a job takes time. Until you land it, call all the temp. services who will keep you busy with "any job" until you land "the one".

But even here in central KY the unemployment rate is nearing 10% now. The market's tough anywhere, and I'm sure temp agencies are flooded with thousands upon thousands more than usual in the exact same shoes.

I've lived in lex. before & its nice but its not something great to run back to as people can be snobby for men who are single as its called a "married town".

Yep, Lex. is a town that is snobby without a "great" rhyme or reason. If you were from an Alpha World City or an otherwise great center for commerce, intellectualism and history, I would be apt to be more excusatory. But come on, Lexington is just a big suburb of itself sprawled out over old horse farms...whoop dee.

Traffic is bad..& on weekends its a madhouse of traffic.

Lex. has horrible traffic for a city its size. Horrible traffic signal synchronization, thoroughfares aren't equipped to handle rush hour volumes and construction projects in Kentucky in general take foreeeeever. That said, the worst of the worst are Nicholasville Road/Limestone Street and Man O' War Blvd. east; the rest of the city doesn't invoke heart attacks.

The weather isn't really good as there are 4-5 months of bla..no sun weather.But, its a clean city but I'd stay away from the north end.

True, Lexington is one of the cleanest cities I've ever been to. As much as I've bashed Lex. on C-D, every time I visit Lex. I can't help but compliment how beautiful the city is maintained for the most part. The north end (north of US 60, basically) has had its hit and miss areas for some time, but you can still find some nice neighborhoods off Russell Cave, Versailles and Loudon.

why not move to the carolinas as the weather is better, the women are prettier & nicer...try concord, nc...maybe 70,000 people..great weather & its very clean.

Well, I don't like the unpredictability of Kentucky weather. In fact, I hate it. BUT, Boston, MA was supposed to be 93 degrees today, then 58 degrees for a high and showers tomorrow. Rapid City, SD went from 80 degrees to 35 degrees and snow within 24 hours last week. Just helps you keep things in perspective.

And the women...I've seen prettier and met nicer women elsewhere, I agree.
Answers in bold.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 PM

6 posts, read 11,511 times
wow, did you analize my reply.. & your points & logic were quite interesting LOL! I sometimes feel most cities seem the same as I see the same traffic, parks, chain stores(walmart etc) just another concrete world setup for us humans I guess . We spend most of our days at work or in bed within our apts. or homes so it almost doesn't matter where one lives & sets up camp.I've found that I can live almost anywhere as long as I'm with a significant other & in a reasonably nice city etc.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:14 AM

137 posts, read 294,840 times
So here's the story. After I got here it took about 1.5 months for me to secure a job. I had two interviews(out of 100+ jobs I applied for) and the first one went well but I decided to pass on it. It was for a sales rep position but going door to door. Who wants to do that?! Especially in the winter. Forget that. So I held out.

Then I got a call a couple of weeks later for a job at the KY Horse Park. I knew right away I wanted it and studied up on local horses, farms, policies, philanthropists, businessmen, etc.

It was agonizing because I thought I did well in the interview but didn't get much positive feedback. I was simply told to stay in touch and contact them if I had any questions, the usual rigamarole. So of course whenever I called I got voicemail. I decided to email (which I wasn't sure was the right thing to do) and didn't get a reply.

Then I finally broke through. I got a reply to my email. And I called again after getting that reply, this is like a week after the interview, and the guy actually picked up. I was stunned. He told me it looked good, which I was shocked to hear and that they'll be in touch. More time for me to sit and think they were just pulling my chain, meanwhile I was pulling my hair out.

The next day I got a call from HR with an offer...that I couldn't refuse. They hired me! Woo-hoo!

I'm truly lucky to have gotten on with the horse industry. Good things do happen, and I'm definitely grateful.

*On a side note, after I had been hired, I received a reply to an email I had sent to another company a month earlier. Another shocker. So I called this guy, we talked, I said I had a job at this point and he asked if I'd be willing to join his staff part time. My car was snowed in so I walked to the interview for a part time job...aka spending money. I nailed it. And am working part time for a sports team during its season. It all came together nicely and I realize how fortunate I am.

It was a success and it makes all the worry, unknown and waiting worth it. My point: Do whatever your heart desires. Go for it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area