Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 AM

511 posts, read 799,863 times

Advertisements

After 3 years working here, I hit a new threshold. I no longer feel safe walking to work. I walk fast, keep my head down, don't stare, but for some reasons, these thugs tend to target me.

Last week, I felt like I was about to get mugged. I was walking back to my building from lunch and this big dude comes out of nowhere from the alley. They always always say the same thing. "excuse me sir, can I ask you a question?". This guy almost got in my face and I quickly crossed the street. I became very uncomfortable when he crossed with me, walking parallel and kept talking to me. He finally gave up when I got in front of the building.

This morning, I see a dude walking towards me, and my spider sense went off again. SUre enough, "excuse me sir, can I ask you a question?" I told him sorry I have to get to work. Then the guy loudly carries on, "man why you gotta be that way" I just try to put as much distance as I can, but he keeps shouting. He says something like I'm gonna remember you.

WTH, all I'm trying to do is get to work, and now I've offended this guy somehow? And it's just plain weird that they always say the same thing wanting to ask me a question. Of course, the question is that they want me to give them money. I've been harrassed dozens of times now, but now it is starting to make me feel threatened. This could be my breaking point! Even more sad, I'm only on these streets like 10 minutes, and this crap happens. Little Rock is becoming a very dangerous city, IMO.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
After 3 years working here, I hit a new threshold. I no longer feel safe walking to work. I walk fast, keep my head down, don't stare, but for some reasons, these thugs tend to target me.

Last week, I felt like I was about to get mugged. I was walking back to my building from lunch and this big dude comes out of nowhere from the alley. They always always say the same thing. "excuse me sir, can I ask you a question?". This guy almost got in my face and I quickly crossed the street. I became very uncomfortable when he crossed with me, walking parallel and kept talking to me. He finally gave up when I got in front of the building.

This morning, I see a dude walking towards me, and my spider sense went off again. SUre enough, "excuse me sir, can I ask you a question?" I told him sorry I have to get to work. Then the guy loudly carries on, "man why you gotta be that way" I just try to put as much distance as I can, but he keeps shouting. He says something like I'm gonna remember you.

WTH, all I'm trying to do is get to work, and now I've offended this guy somehow? And it's just plain weird that they always say the same thing wanting to ask me a question. Of course, the question is that they want me to give them money. I've been harrassed dozens of times now, but now it is starting to make me feel threatened. This could be my breaking point! Even more sad, I'm only on these streets like 10 minutes, and this crap happens. Little Rock is becoming a very dangerous city, IMO.
Just like any large metro area in the country, unlike Tyler Tx or College Station.

NIta

Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,859,414 times
Just say "Awright Now" and they will realize you are one of them and leave you alone.

I know you are from East Texas, but you are carrying yourself like a yankee or possibly even a Canadian. You got act like you know the game.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Quote:

Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,163,587 times
Quote:

You've never lived in a major metropolitan city, have you? This is not uncommon in the "big city" - all over the world.

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-07-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 12:07 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
Little Rock isn't' that large. It would Moderator cut: snip me off and disturb me too if I had to put up with that every day. I don't mind a person off to the side asking me for a little spare change so much but being accosted by people actually walking up to you is quite threatening. It would really Moderator cut: snip me off to see a woman accosted like this. I have rarely experienced that in any big city of been to and certainly would avoid a place where that happens often.

So sad here you are just walking to work (how lucky to be able to do so) and having what should be a nice part of your day ruined by these types of people.

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-07-2011 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: crude

Old 10-07-2011, 12:10 PM

123 posts, read 219,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
You've never lived in a major metropolitan city, have you? This is not uncommon in the "big city" - all over the world.
Only in the hood or in dowtowns of big cities though. If he lives on the better side of town away from downtown and this kinda stuff is happening to him on the regular, something is wrong.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,163,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post
Only in the hood or in dowtowns of big cities though.

Fair enough. I've worked in office buildings in nice downtown areas of major metro cities, and have been approached on streets as he described many times through the years. Never gave it a second thought - just said no and kept moving. It never ruined my day. I suppose it's just a matter of perspective.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:26 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,920 times
This thread should be deleted, because the title is very misleading. Sounds like txdave35 was about to be asked for money two days in a row and he freaked out. I hate beggers too, but they've never made me fear for my life. LR has worked hard to change the negative perception that it once had even when it was unjustified - this is a silly thread title considering what it is really about. Good thing txdave wasn't in LR in the 80's and early 90's when there really were major safety issues in town. txdave35, just take it as a compliment that twice you apparently looked like you were worth something, because beggers won't just ask anybody for money.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post
Only in the hood or in dowtowns of big cities though. If he lives on the better side of town away from downtown and this kinda stuff is happening to him on the regular, something is wrong.
He does work downtown and I have lived in several metro areas, L.A., Dallas, DC as well as a few others. I can assure you AR is no worse and maybe better.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
This thread should be deleted, because the title is very misleading. Sounds like txdave35 was about to be asked for money two days in a row and he freaked out. I hate beggers too, but they've never made me fear for my life. LR has worked hard to change the negative perception that it once had even when it was unjustified - this is a silly thread title considering what it is really about. Good thing txdave wasn't in LR in the 80's and early 90's when there really were major safety issues in town. txdave35, just take it as a compliment that twice you apparently looked like you were worth something, because beggers won't just ask anybody for money.
Heck, most of us have been approached for money even in small towns outside restaurants, service stations, etc.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area