Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 PM
WLR

24 posts, read 87,091 times

Advertisements

No, I am not confused. Mara Lynn between Bowman and Shackleford is as close to a slum as you'll find in WLR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
I think that's a broad brush you're painting with. Mara Lynn itself - I'll agree with you, also Green Mountain. Wherever it is just one apartment complex after another seems to be a problem...but just north of the school is Breckenridge/Walnut Valley - what's wrong there? West is Napa Valley and south is Birchwood, east is Treasure Hills. There are a few spotty areas in there, but it's not the Amityville Horror or a slum.

I wouldn't live in any of the apartments on Mara Lynn. They just need some major reno, that's for sure....but I don't think the entire area is hopeless by any means.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
From what I remember living in Cabot, the higher steet numbers you get into, (24th to 30th etc) the higher the drug/hooker probolem. I do know from personal experience the W 30 streets in LR are bad for drug dealing and gang activity.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 34,659 times
Quote:
I do know from personal experience the W 30 streets in LR are bad for drug dealing and gang activity
I've driven through the some of the streets in the 30s range in Little Rock and they don't seem too bad.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,329 times
Born and raised in LR during the 90's-2000's. Still live there minus leaving for periods of time to finish grad school. I grew up during the gang violence and when it was smaller in terms of things to do, more so than it is now. The city is growing (slowly).

Of course crime is everywhere, but growing up in the poor/crime infested areas, I can say that the "dangerous" parts are Southwest/Mabelvale, South End/MLK, College Station/East End and John Barrow neighborhoods. I've have lived/visited these places all my life. Have common sense with who you hang out with and how late you stay out in shady parts of town and you will be fine. It's LR not Chicago.

The nicer and trendy parts of town our Pleasant Valley, Chenal, Downtown/River Market, Hillcrest, Heights, Cammack Village, Riverdale and the University area is growing with shops and condos. Otter Creek is a nice development in the Southwest/Mabelvale area, really nice, gated and simple.

With all the growth going on in the city anything in Pleasant Valley, Chenal, Downtown/River Market, Hillcrest, Heights, Cammack Village, Riverdale and the University area will be okay because the city is developing in these areas. The rest aren't being attended to and more low income individuals and crime are moving to the more "dangerous" areas. I live in southwest, but I've never a had a problem in my neighborhood in the 16 years I have lived there.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps

Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 PM

19 posts, read 44,711 times
I recently read an article saying that Little Rock is ranked as 4th Most Dangerous City in America. Honestly, the ranking is subjective. While the crime rate is high, I think it actually gets blown out of proportion.

Anywhere you live can be dangerous. Just use your common sense by not socializing with wrong crowd and steer clear of bad areas. If you do that, I think you will be fine and will love Little Rock. After living in rural Mississippi and Missouri along with two bigger cities (Orlando, FL & Knoxville, TN), I actually like Little Rock the best slightly ahead of Fayetteville, AR.

Bad areas in the city include Southwest Little Rock (Baseline Road) and areas near UALR and Arkansas Children's Hospital (Asher Ave. & Roosevelt Road; University Ave., 12th Street, & Madison St.; and parts of Downtown & east of Downtown near Clinton Nat'l Airport).

Although West Little Rock isn't dangerous, there are a few pockets of areas that are not appealing (Mara Lynn, Bowman, Green Mountain, Breckenridge, Treasure Hill, & Reservoir) due to a few slum-looking apartment complexes with bad reviews.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,386 times
SO Sam I am you dont think a city being dangerous has anything to do with guns so you delete my post? Maybe you should delete the post above for saying you shouldnt socialize with the wrong crowd as socializing is off topic...wow brilliant people on this page that are motivated by their own political views as opposed to the safety of others who are looking to move to the city.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,325 times
I was born and raised in Little Rock. Growing up there was almost crime free. Graduated high school at the number one academic high school in the state Hall High. Grew up in The Heights an expensive area where it is still relatively safe. I have lived in another safe haven in California for 30 years and never think of robbery ever being an issue in my area. Theft yes if your door is open etc. Murder never occurs. Zero a year but extremely expensive to live where I do. I was considering moving back to Little Rock part time to retire. Now I think I will not feel safe driving even down Cantrell where I see a robbery occur ever week almost, although most occur more that 3 to 6 miles plus away. As a young senior I don't want to leave a safe haven to go to my other home and be afraid at night. What is your opinion??

Old 01-13-2017, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,096 times
Sadly, Barney Fife from Mayberry (The Andy Griffith Show) is more competent than the useless police in Little Rock. Our worthless mayor is more concerned with his own profile than he is with the city he claims to love. Crime is high because the criminals don't fear the police (as indicated by the recent aggression of criminals toward the police) nor do they fear the citizens they routinely attack. And, why should they?!

Police presence has yet to have any positive influence against crime in this city's entire history. It was pure luck that crime stats were ever lower than they are now. Crime has always been a part of this city's culture. And, it always will be. In fact, the criminal element actually takes pride in their ability to put Little Rock on the map. And, why shouldn't they?!

The police are of no consequence. And, they never will be. That's why most crimes go unreported. And, fewer still are ever solved. Only the mentally-challenged criminals get arrested; you know, the ones who turn themselves in (doing the police's job for them, which is the only way that job gets done, anyway), or are dumb enough to leave living or electronic witnesses behind.

Recently, a homeowner shot a burglar breaking into his home. The burglar went to the hospital, which is the only reason he was even caught. Now, the homeowner is facing charges because he shot the burglar through a window, while he was outside his home. Our prosecuting attorney's office should be ashamed of themselves. They aren't and never will be. But, they should be.

If our police ever had an honest conversation with this city's criminal element, it would probably go like this: "Attention criminals: You win. We surrender. Congratulations! Now, may we have our city back, please? No?! Okay. Sorry to bother you." No wonder criminals and citizens don't respect the police.

Hopefully, more citizens will arm themselves and demand that the FBI hold our useless police accountable for their routine failure to protect the citizens they are being paid to serve. Right now, they're nothing but glorified crime reporters. A crime happens. A police officer takes a report.

FYI: The only reason you are now seeing some police cars with two officers inside is NOT to protect YOU, the citizen, but to protect themselves. Wussies!

Old 04-20-2017, 11:31 PM

69 posts, read 95,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLR View Post
Anything east of Bowman road is basically a war zone. 10 years ago 430 was the line. In more 10 years it will be anything east of Rahling.

Get a grip. This isn't Mogadishu we're talking about. The apartments on top of that hill on Mara Lynn road suck but we don't need to write off half of WLR just yet lol

With regard to the OP, don't hang out on Baseline road or Asher/Roosevelt after dark and you'll be ok. Generally the further west or north you are in town the nicer it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area