Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:19 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
we find Fayetteville to be a great town....
Very true, Fayetteville is a great town. And just a few miles in any direction....wondrous beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 07:10 PM

11 posts, read 38,498 times
SO, I'm definitely leaning towards the Little Rock area. It is pretty much a no-brainer when you take into consideration all of the outdoor related activities to get into, along with the 4-season weather AND a good sized airport. Just found out Southwest is there as well, which is a huge bonus as I'll be flying to Houston and NOLA a lot. Now, to decide WHERE to live in the Little Rock area.. I've never even visited the place. I like living downtown in STL, but it does get annoying sometimes. I get tired of being hit up for money literally 90% of the time while walking the three blocks to my gym. I do like the close proximity to numerous restaurants and nicer bars though. Another aspect I like is how easy it is to meet people just within my loft building. Having said all of that, can anyone give me an idea of what downtown Little Rock is like? I would love to live in a nice suburb, however, I plan to rent for the first year and worry about having to drive every time I want to grab a beer or a bite to eat, just seems easier in a downtown setting...but I'm not really a good judge because I've only lived in one downtown for less than one year

Old 11-24-2013, 07:30 PM

Fayetteville does sound really awesome. Unfortunately, just not as conveinant as LR and not sure about the airport. Also, I'm a huge Auburn fan so that might get dangerous

Old 11-24-2013, 08:48 PM

66 posts, read 129,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverwhelmedSTL View Post
SO, I'm definitely leaning towards the Little Rock area. It is pretty much a no-brainer when you take into consideration all of the outdoor related activities to get into, along with the 4-season weather AND a good sized airport. Just found out Southwest is there as well, which is a huge bonus as I'll be flying to Houston and NOLA a lot. Now, to decide WHERE to live in the Little Rock area.. I've never even visited the place. I like living downtown in STL, but it does get annoying sometimes. I get tired of being hit up for money literally 90% of the time while walking the three blocks to my gym. I do like the close proximity to numerous restaurants and nicer bars though. Another aspect I like is how easy it is to meet people just within my loft building. Having said all of that, can anyone give me an idea of what downtown Little Rock is like? I would love to live in a nice suburb, however, I plan to rent for the first year and worry about having to drive every time I want to grab a beer or a bite to eat, just seems easier in a downtown setting...but I'm not really a good judge because I've only lived in one downtown for less than one year
I did a short stunt in Little Rock back last decade so I have a pretty good understanding of the area. The best advice I can give you is to let Little Rock be Little Rock and to not expect the same level of amenities you are used to in St Louis. Don't move to Little Rock and compare the bars, urban districts, downtown, or whatever to what it was like in St Louis. As someone who lived in my dream city and then relocated to a much smaller city for a job offer I couldn't refuse, I have found myself in the position of loving my job but hating my life outside of work because I didn't do my research and wasn't prepared for how big of a downgrade in quality of life moving from a largish city in the Southeast to a small city in the Great Plains would actually be. If its between Little Rock and Louisiana, I would choose Little Rock in a heartbeat. It is closer to the kind of environment you are looking for than anywhere in Louisiana outside of New Orleans. However, I would definitely ask yourself are you willing to give up a city you love for one you may not for an excellent job opportunity? If there is any question, I would visit Little Rock prior to making your decision. It's a pretty doable long weekend trip and you'll be much better prepared either way if you know what you are getting into before jumping into it.

If you do decide on Little Rock, Hillcrest or the Heights would be by far your best option if you wanted to be able to walk to a neighborhood bar or trendy restaurants. There is also some downtown options but as somebody who lived in Hillcrest, I am not as familiar with them. I had a friend who lived in a loft though within walking distance of the River Market and it was pretty cool. Good luck in your decision!

Old 11-29-2013, 11:37 PM

So, I've been searching relentlessly around Little Rock for a place to live and haven't found anything that works. Found several apartments that look really nice, but not sure what the surrounding area is like. I was looking specifically for lofts, but there are not many places with openings, the ones that do have availability don't really excite me. Maybe I'm spoiled.. my current loft is literally perfect, for me, in every way: newer, all the amenities, location, price, parking, everything I could possibly want/need. There are several downtown locations in LR but they only have larger units available and they are $2500/month and up.. I'm not that crazy. Any suggestions on specific "luxury" apartments in good areas? By luxury, I simply mean newer place, w/d in unit, modern kitchen (granite, stainless) pool, garage or covered parking, just an overall nice feel. I think I've just about exhausted my downtown living options, quite disappointed, almost to the point of looking at another city.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:59 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Walking to bars, etc., is only going to happen in the Heights/Hillcrest area and downtown, so you're really limited there. LR is a "gotta have a car" kind of town.

WLR - I'm thinking your granite and stainless is out that way.

I don't know if you said it, but do you telecommute or travel, or do you work downtown specifically?

I still steer folks to Cammack Village since it is very safe, a lot of the little houses have been nicely re-done, there's a community pool, and it's a short drive to Heights/Hillcrest. I guess the drawback for someone your age is that it is a family area, but hey - it takes all kinds to make a village...or something like that....

Old 11-30-2013, 10:00 PM

697 posts, read 1,775,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverwhelmedSTL View Post
So, I've been searching relentlessly around Little Rock for a place to live and haven't found anything that works. Found several apartments that look really nice, but not sure what the surrounding area is like. I was looking specifically for lofts, but there are not many places with openings, the ones that do have availability don't really excite me. Maybe I'm spoiled.. my current loft is literally perfect, for me, in every way: newer, all the amenities, location, price, parking, everything I could possibly want/need. There are several downtown locations in LR but they only have larger units available and they are $2500/month and up.. I'm not that crazy. Any suggestions on specific "luxury" apartments in good areas? By luxury, I simply mean newer place, w/d in unit, modern kitchen (granite, stainless) pool, garage or covered parking, just an overall nice feel. I think I've just about exhausted my downtown living options, quite disappointed, almost to the point of looking at another city.
St. Louis is a great (and very underappreciated) city and I am pretty familiar with the downtown area and the lofts there. What building in downtown are you in that you're comparing LR to? Maybe I can help point you in a better direction, but keep in mind that the loft market is more of a niche market here and prices may be a bit higher.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Walking to bars, etc., is only going to happen in the Heights/Hillcrest area and downtown, so you're really limited there. LR is a "gotta have a car" kind of town.

WLR - I'm thinking your granite and stainless is out that way.

I don't know if you said it, but do you telecommute or travel, or do you work downtown specifically?

I still steer folks to Cammack Village since it is very safe, a lot of the little houses have been nicely re-done, there's a community pool, and it's a short drive to Heights/Hillcrest. I guess the drawback for someone your age is that it is a family area, but hey - it takes all kinds to make a village...or something like that....
Any recommendations as far as specific apartments/lofts/condos within the Heights/Hillcrest area? It's just really hard to gauge the area when I've never visited. Google only takes me so far. I will be probably be making a couple of trips in January, but I will likely have a tight schedule and will not have the luxury of looking at a lot of places.

I will be traveling extensively on a weekly basis, by air and car. Jealous? didn't think so.. ha

Lol, you have a point there. I'm no party animal by any means, but I do like easy access to nicer bars to catch a football game, hang out, etc. and nearby eating options. It's just nice not having to drive so much while being home, much prefer to walk.

Thanks a ton for your help/suggestions!!

Old 11-30-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
St. Louis is a great (and very underappreciated) city and I am pretty familiar with the downtown area and the lofts there. What building in downtown are you in that you're comparing LR to? Maybe I can help point you in a better direction, but keep in mind that the loft market is more of a niche market here and prices may be a bit higher.
Totally agree. I thought I was going to hate St. Louis.. turns out, quite the opposite. Love it. If ever bored, it's your own fault. If wanting to get away from city, numerous vineyards within 30min drive.. had no idea.

I live in a building called Ventana Lofts. It's newer, ~1300 sq/ft., 2bed/2bath, rooftop pool w/ clubhouse, secure heated garage. I go days without driving when not working.

Btw, to erase any doubts about my decision to relocate, the job is 110% worth it. Doesn't phase me really, life is an adventure. I just want a nice/fun place to live... and somewhere cool enough to entice my gf to move from STL as well

Old 12-01-2013, 02:28 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
There are no lofts in Heights/Hillcrest, and I'd doubt there are any apartments with your amenities. It's an older area. You might luck out and find a guest house for rent, but those are few and far between. Another area for a small post war home but where the homes are really being done nicely and are close to H/H is the Pine Valley area. There are some condos on N. Pierce on the south side of Cantrell that go up for rent from time to time. Forest Park? Forest Place? Something like that. Also, look at the condos just north of the intersection of Cantrell and Foxcroft - they are lovely and I've seen rental signs occasionally. Very occasionally.

You might look down in Riverdale as well. Then you're driving up through Allsopp to get to the trendy bars, but there are lots of cool places down there and you're a jump from River Market and downtown. Treetops Condos has something for rent, or at least it shows to right now - that's at Holcombe Heights and Rebsamen Park - again, close to most everything. I have no idea on pricing, though. There's also some condos on Oakwood (I think that's right) - Townhouses in the Park.

Treetops - Little Rock's Original Luxury High-Rise Condos

Look at Moses, Tucker's webpage: Moses Tucker Real Estate | Little Rock, Arkansas They have been doing a lot of downtown development and have some rentals. They deal exclusively in downtown.

Because you will be traveling extensively, I'd just want to be closer to the airport than WLR but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area