Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 05:04 PM

369 posts, read 1,301,645 times

Advertisements

Ranking of the Little Rock Metro suburbs(only communities in the official MSA counties). Note that I'm only including communities with population over 5,000 and I'm not including the principal cities of LR, NLR, nor Conway:

#1 Maumelle
#2 Bryant
#3 Cabot

#4 Benton
#5 Greenbrier
#6 Vilonia

#7 Sherwood
#8 Sheridan
#9 Lonoke
#10 Jacksonville

Change my mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 08:23 PM

23 posts, read 20,164 times
I agree almost 100% with this list. Swap Greenbrier and Vilonia, because Vilonia tripled in size in the last 30 years vs only double for Greenbrier.

Maumelle grew from 7,000 people in 1990 to 20,000 today, a 65% gain. It became the retirement city of Central Arkansas alongside Sherwood. Bryant grew from 6,000 in 1990 to 21,000 today, a whopping 77% increase. Cabot went from 9,000 in 1990 to 27,000 today, a 67% increase. The close proximity to LR/NLR is a factor. Benton grew from 19,000 in 1990 to 35,000 today, a 24% gain. Saline County only had 35,000 people in 1990, and now the city of Benton has 35,000 by itself. Sherwood annexed Gravel Ridge in 2008, adding 3,500 people to its then 22,000 population, and now has surpassed Jacksonville, which has been on a decline in the last few years. Lonoke beats out Jacksonville because it has been able to keep a stable, loyal community of 4,200 while Jacksonville is the fastest declining town in Central Arkansas population wise. It never even was able to build an urban core / downtown area, and Lonoke has a grid layout and a downtown core. Mulberry St. in JV is pathetic and N. Center St. in Lonoke beats it by itself due to having buildings on both sides of the street. There are many cities in Arkansas with a third the population that have an actual downtown with street fronts lining the blocks, even if it's only a 4x4 block grid of density. Never understood why a town with 30K has no downtown, but I didn't plan JV.

On second thought, the tornado did hurt Vilonia a bit, so #6 it is. Want to do one for the other MSAs in AR? I'd live to give an analysis on what you think of are the top 10 cities in various metro areas in AR.

Last edited by Calesacult; 10-09-2023 at 08:46 PM..

Old 10-11-2023, 07:23 PM

140 posts, read 256,016 times
What are the criteria for ranking this list? Need some substantiation here before offering some kind of coherent response...

Old 10-13-2023, 10:01 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Not a bad list.
Maumelle on top, Jacksonville at the bottom.
Toss a coin for some of the rest. I might would put Sherwood a little higher.

Old 10-14-2023, 02:14 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
Greenbrier has a FatBurger.

Inexplicitly.

The only one in Arkansas/Oklahoma/Tennesse/Missouri/Mississippi areas.

Old 10-15-2023, 05:04 PM

1,651 posts, read 863,761 times
I'm curious on why people are so bullish on Maumelle. It's in a great location. Love the scenery, but the schools suck. Good schools are one of the principal reasons people move to the burbs. Cabot and Bryant are much better despite their limited geographical appeal in this regard.

Old 10-15-2023, 07:51 PM
sub

As a master-planned community, Maumelle is well-designed and one of the more pleasant communities in the state.
I can imagine a lot of people there utilize private schools if they're so inclined.
The newer parts aren't as good, but overall it's still alright.

Bryant and Cabot feel more random and scattered. Bryant, unfortunately, also decided to overdevelop the frontage roads along the freeway turning the interstate into a cluttered stroad.

Overall, Little Rock's amenities are what make it worthwhile. Suburbia is not its strong suit.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:27 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
I'm curious on why people are so bullish on Maumelle. It's in a great location. Love the scenery, but the schools suck. Good schools are one of the principal reasons people move to the burbs. Cabot and Bryant are much better despite their limited geographical appeal in this regard.
Maumelle now has an excellent Charter School, and it is getting pretty big. The campus looks very nice.

Old 10-17-2023, 06:56 AM

83 posts, read 174,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
As a master-planned community, Maumelle is well-designed and one of the more pleasant communities in the state.
I can imagine a lot of people there utilize private schools if they're so inclined.
The newer parts aren't as good, but overall it's still alright.

Bryant and Cabot feel more random and scattered. Bryant, unfortunately, also decided to overdevelop the frontage roads along the freeway turning the interstate into a cluttered stroad.

Overall, Little Rock's amenities are what make it worthwhile. Suburbia is not its strong suit.
I agree that Maumelle is "planned" but take issue with it being "well-designed"...in what way? There's literally no density, or town center like had been originally planned...and arguably the drive INTO Maumelle from Little Rock (technically NLR) has got to be one of the biggest urban sprawl eyesores in the metro, dotted with random warehouses and strip centers of the worst type. Maybe it's just the blight of that experience that seemingly makes Maumelle seem nice in comparison.

I agree that Little Rock's amenities make it worthwhile. Honestly, Little Rock is unique among peers in the fact that within the metro, undeniably the highest property values and wealth are found in the city proper, and there's really no competition. Little Rock has greatly benefited from that fact, and probably a lot of the reason why the city proper continues to grow.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:33 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335i View Post
I agree that Maumelle is "planned" but take issue with it being "well-designed"...in what way? There's literally no density, or town center like had been originally planned...and arguably the drive INTO Maumelle from Little Rock (technically NLR) has got to be one of the biggest urban sprawl eyesores in the metro, dotted with random warehouses and strip centers of the worst type. Maybe it's just the blight of that experience that seemingly makes Maumelle seem nice in comparison.

I agree that Little Rock's amenities make it worthwhile. Honestly, Little Rock is unique among peers in the fact that within the metro, undeniably the highest property values and wealth are found in the city proper, and there's really no competition. Little Rock has greatly benefited from that fact, and probably a lot of the reason why the city proper continues to grow.
Agree that the drive to and from Maumelle isn’t pleasant. Had the powers that be had any sense of design, that could have been a nice tree-lined parkway with roundabouts and fountains.
Oh well.
Also agree that Little Rock itself is the most appealing city in its own metro in most ways.
Maumelle is good for suburbia and lower crime.
What I meant by well designed is that it is at least visually appealing. That’s an issue I often have with Arkansas cities is that they’re often very utilitarian with little if any regard for aesthetics.

As I’ve gotten older and have lived in some higher density neighborhoods, I’ve come to appreciate some elbow room and privacy so Maumelle appeals to me at this point in life.
Of course they could use more in the way of sidewalks with parks and playgrounds more frequently scattered around the neighborhoods, as well as a nice, centralized walkable business district.
But for what it is and where it is, Maumelle is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area