Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt123 View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you talking about buying or renting? We are looking to rent for a few years until I get out of school and we get settled. Are there rental in those areas also, reasonably priced? From what I can tell, West LR is a pretty good area to live in. I see alot of advertisement for rentals that say West LR.
I was talking about buying. I would imagine though that rental rates might track relative trends in home prices but I'm not at all sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abt123 View Post
can someone tell me where are good parts to live, like east lr, west lr, north lr, etc. is the downtown area ok?
From what I understand from your posts, your husband will be a police officer for LRPD and you will be in nursing school. From that information I'm sure that you guys want to stay in LR proper, and since you want to rent I would recommend apartments and townhouses either in west LR(west of I-430) or in the Riverdale area along the Cantrell corridor. These areas are safe areas that would be relatively close to school for you. You also mentioned the downtown area, and yes it is perfectly fine down there (north of I-630 of course), but rentals down there tend to be on the very high end and it may not be a convenient drive to and from school for you. As I'm sure that you have read in other posts, nearly all of the city's violent crime is contained to southwest LR(Baseline Rd. and Geyer Springs Rd. area) and Central LR(Roosevelt Ave. and Wright Ave. area). Like most people that are getting to know Little Rock for the first time, I think that you will be pleasantly surprised by the area and will love it.

Last edited by North Pulaski Player; 03-22-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 PM

837 posts, read 2,249,354 times
Also look around Hillcrest. A lovely neighborhood and very close to UAMS.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM

19 posts, read 107,673 times
Thanks so much. I am from Arkansas, but do not know too much about little rock. I have seen alot of rentals in the WLR area and was wondering if that was a safe place to live. I think I will be attending UALR, more than likely so the closer the better!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 PM

UALR is centrally located so just about anywhere in Little Rock is convenient. good luck to you here!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 PM

I am really looking forward to visiting the area and seeing in for myself. I am a little nervous about getting around (I'm from a really small town) but I'm sure I'll figure it out, just keep my tomtom handy, lol!! My husband and I have always worked together so this will be the first time we have ever been apart. It is going to be so strange!!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:50 AM

I really don't think you'll have any trouble. Little Rock is easy to figure out and to navigate.

I think I'd kill my husband if I worked with him all day and lived with him the rest of the time. There's such a thing as TOO much togetherness!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:07 PM

Alot of people I know say that, they don't know how we do it! We have been married for seven years and we have worked together ever since we were dating. I don't know what the other side is like!! We are both soooooo hard headed and we work as a "team" so we are constantly having to make decisions together. He usually knows best, so it works out lol! We actually really love working together, but we are the "bosses" where we work so maybe that's why it is easier....who knows.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:17 PM

55 posts, read 100,629 times
Default Where to live in LR

If you are talking about strictly living in LR there are basically 5 sides of town. Southwest, Southside, Westside, East End, and then West Little Rock. Bad things happen anywhere in LR trust me. But the safest are is gonna be probably in West Little Rock (Chenal) or further out. Cantrell (the entire road) is nice. Anywhere on Cantrell. It's pricier, probably the priciest but it's probably worth it if you're trying to stay away from the majority of crime. Crime rates are lowest there. The Heights are nice too. They are far up North University and Cantrell area. Richer side of town. West Little Rock is where all the shops are. Convient things. Most of the restaurants and stuff. Walmart, SAM's, Kohl's (if you like shopping). There's also a new mall out Shackleford (just a few streets over) containing JCPenny's and some other stores and some good restaurants. There are some pretty affordable apartments too on Green Mountain Drive or Mara Lynn Rd check those out. If you're going to nursing school at Baptist it's like a 10-15 min. drive from there not bad. Also it's (Baptist Nursing School) near the Rave Movie Theatre (2nd highest movie theater in LR).

I've heard Baptist Nursing school is tough though. I have friends going there and if you get below an 80 on the test your are out of the program and have to start over. UAMS is probably better. They're not as hard on you. You'd probably have to drive further though cause UAMS is on the Southside headed towards downtown. It's kind of rough around there. But UAMS is right off of I-630 which is a straight shot back to West Little Rock. So it would still end up being only a 10-15 min. drive.

So basically West Little Rock and the Heights are the areas I'd recommend.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:40 PM

Thanks so much for that! I am really looking forward to the opportunity to move to LR. My husband will be working as a police officer there if we do move so I'm sure it wouldn't be long before I knew which areas to stay away from lol! I am actually going to try to attend UALR, but UAMS is my next choice, then Baptist last due to the high tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area