Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:04 AM

32 posts, read 65,888 times

Advertisements

I was watching a show about the Tube in London appropriately called 'The Tube'. I'm sure you've heard of it. I'm an American so it's a new show to me. Anyway, I couldn't help but notice how suddenly and quickly the tube doors close without warning. I'm going to London next year and doubt I'll be riding the tube, I'll probably just take a bus or taxi, but just so I know... about how long do they give you before the doors slam shut? And is there any kind of warning that I just didn't see on the show?

And are there any tube stations I should just avoid as a tourist, like if they're too dangerous or something like that?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,407,358 times
Those must of been old i bet it was the old victoria line stock or the bakerloo line.
Anyway you won't get crushed to death by the doors all tube lines will annouce when the doors are closing it goes something like this 'please stand clear of the doors' and you must know the famous 'please mind the gap between the train and the platform' and with a beaping sound or just the beaping sound.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,481,347 times
Now then Rayedog- you're getting yourself worked up about things that are not a problem!

I think that you said that it's your first time abroad, but I'm sure things will be fine.

By the way, the DK Eyewitness Guide Books are very good;

Amazon.com: dk eyewitness guide great britain

Old 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM

32 posts, read 65,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Now then Rayedog- you're getting yourself worked up about things that are not a problem!

I think that you said that it's your first time abroad, but I'm sure things will be fine.

By the way, the DK Eyewitness Guide Books are very good;

Amazon.com: dk eyewitness guide great britain
I guess I am Jezer. I was just shocked as some woman tried to step on the train behind her husband, and it shut as soon as he got on, and she was not able to follow! It's good to know they do give you some kind of warning...

Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 PM

994 posts, read 1,239,312 times
The people you see getting stuck in the doors have already chosen to ignore the warning about the closing doors. Even then, the train will not move off until all the doors are properly closed.

As a tourist, it's extremely likely you'll get a tube, as it's by far the easiest way to get between the most popular areas. Taxis are an expensive luxury unless there are four or five of you to divide the fare between. Busses go to places the tube doesn't, but with over 600 bus routes, and the need for several separate maps covering different parts of the city, they take considably more time and effort to master than the tube network of 15 or so lines.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:32 AM

872 posts, read 1,387,902 times
Is it enough warning though, that's the question. One would like to think that 2-3 seconds of warning is enough, but if you're already in the process of boarding when it sounds, you need to respond to it immediately otherwise you end up in an embarrassing situation. If you have problems with mobility, then you're already in trouble.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,481,347 times
Just don't go to Tokyo!

Japanese train station during rush hour - YouTube

Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,025,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayedog View Post
I was watching a show about the Tube in London appropriately called 'The Tube'. I'm sure you've heard of it. I'm an American so it's a new show to me. Anyway, I couldn't help but notice how suddenly and quickly the tube doors close without warning. I'm going to London next year and doubt I'll be riding the tube, I'll probably just take a bus or taxi, but just so I know... about how long do they give you before the doors slam shut? And is there any kind of warning that I just didn't see on the show?

And are there any tube stations I should just avoid as a tourist, like if they're too dangerous or something like that?

Thanks.
One thing you will have to watch out for is the gap. The "doors opening" will be voiced as will be the "doors closing" voiceover and there will also be a sound on the platform imploring you to "mind the gap" at various stations, some in prominent locations I can't remember where the worst are but it isn't as much of a hazard as it sounds.

I wouldn't even think about it because the Underground is very safe but a little common sense and awareness is required as you would suspect. Don't tread too close to the track before the train comes in etc... is one guideline alot of people usually choose to abide by or ignore and either way it doesn't usually make a difference.

I've stepped off plenty of trains oblivious to the gap but perhaps these kinds of warnings are more pertinent for passengers with disabilites who must take extra precaution.

Anyway, you'll be fine. The London Underground is very safe, if crowded at times.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:04 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,327,517 times
Poor Gwyneth nearly loses her hands here...

SLIDING DOORS - YouTube

But does find love in the end.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,080,106 times
If you do get 'caught' in the doors they wont cut you in half, there is a mechanism that will make them open again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London