Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 06:27 AM

69 posts, read 200,355 times

Advertisements

One thing I don't get.

Take a look at the Northern line (black). If I take it from Archway station, how do I know where does it go? It appear to merge with another line at Camden Town station.

And another question about the fares. Is there a trick or it is really that expensive to buy tickets with cash.

Tube, DLR and London Overground | Transport for London

4gbp vs 1,90gbp?

If I get an Oyster card and travel from Zone2 to Zone1 I just swing the card by the reader and it takes the credit on the card, correct? How can check how much money I've got left on my Oyster card? And if I buy a ticket at the station do I have to tell the teller what zones I'm traveling in? Once I buy the ticket, how can they be sure I'll get off in Z1 and not Z3?

Also, are connecting trains charged separately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 06:39 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,680,054 times
It's two branches of the same line, and the signs on the platform will tell you whether the next train is Charing Cross or Bank branch. When going north, take High Barnet branch for Archway (same one I take). Definitely buy an Oyster card as it really is insanely expensive otherwise, and maybe a weekly/monthly pass if you'll be travelling every day. The sensor automatically knows where you've travelled from and where you are in terms of zones and knows how much to charge your card, and you only pay for one complete journey regardless of changing lines. You'll get used to it after a week or so.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:48 AM

Thanks, I can't give you more rep at the moment.

1.What do you mean I only pay for a complete journey regardless of changing lines. You mean in the same zone or what?

2.So on Archway every other train is for the Bank (right) line/branch? What does it say (station,line,lanmark...) on the display? Same goes for when I board at Waterloo or London Bridge. What does it say on the display so I know I'm going to Archway?

EDIT: And a quick questions. 106gbp for a monthly pass is a bargain but it's for Zones 1-2, if I go down in Zone 3 will it let me go through?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,680,054 times
1. If you go within Zones 1 and 2 and change lines multiple times, you will still pay for one journey within zones 1 and 2, same as if you don't change lines. If you go from zone 2 to zone 6 and change 1, 2, 3 times etc, you will still pay for one journey between zones 2 and 6, same as if you don't change lines. Also, there's a daily price cap on the Oyster card, so there is a maximum charge for travelling in a particular zone combination. This means that if you reach the maximum charge after, say, four trips, then all other trips on that day in those zones will be free.

2. Going south from Archway the display will say either Kennington or Morden via Charing Cross (west branch) or Bank (east branch). When going north it will say High Barnet (the one you want) or Edgware.

3. A zone 1-2 pass on your Oyster card will let you through in zone 3, but it will give a minus figure on your balance (you'll see your balance when you pass the sensors) and so you'll have to put money on the card (you can do this at every station) to be allowed back onto the trains/buses etc. Buses are not included in the zone system so cost the same everywhere. It's cheaper to take buses but much slower and you can easily get lost doing it. A monthly pass is a good idea if you're here for that long. If you have it then you never need to worry about the price structure. It will all make sense when you get here!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:24 AM

Thank you very much for your help.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,327,247 times
I lived at Archway many moons ago and don't recall ever getting on the wrong train (unlike my current suburban commuter line!). You could change branches at Camden, but the frequency makes that pointless. There were plans to completely split the line at Camden:

The Northern Line - SkyscraperCity

But if you turn to the last page it seems they have been shelved. More worrying are the plans for track maintenance. When I lived in London they used to be done overnight. Now they shut whole lines for the weekend. But Archway is also pretty well served by buses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London