Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 AM

64 posts, read 102,126 times

Advertisements

I travel on my own a lot, but one problem with that is that I'm not a big fan of going into restaurants and sitting there by myself.

So when I'm finding something to eat I usually revert to street foods, markets, that sort of thing. Where you can just grab some food from a stand and keep wandering around eating it, or just sitting taking in the sights while you eat.

What are some of the best markets/street food vendors/to-go food places in London?

Thanks.

Edit: Bonus points for areas where there are lots of stands/vendors in the same spot, to give me multiple choices in one area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
There aren't so many stalls, but there are a lot of places you can take food away from. Most big train stations have a variety of such food places. Try a pasty, they are easy to carry around and pretty filling. Jellied eels are really good, traditional London food, but many people can't get over the ick factor.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Try Brixton Market or Southwark's Borough Market.

Also, start reading some UK papers for tips on dining in London, eg: 10 of the best London street food stalls | Travel | guardian.co.uk

Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 PM

489 posts, read 1,192,816 times
Loads of info here
The London Street Food Guide | The HostelBookers Blog

Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,121 times
Sorry but train stations is a terrible suggestion unless you want bland, generic, corporate stodge.

I agree with the other suggestions - Borough Market is tourist-clogged, but no more than it is local-clogged or office worker-clogged, and there is plenty of good stuff on offer. On a Saturday, there's also the excellent spin-off a little way east at Maltby Street, to where some former tennants of Borough have decamped in search of a more serious clientele. In fact, some have moved again, as Maltby Street began to resemble what it had sought to escape in Borough, to Dockly Road Industrial Estate, home of the superb Kernal Brewery (which only serves to the public from 9am to 2pm Saturdays...)

There's great Moroccan food to be had on Golborne Road in North Kensington - try the soup stand for loubia drizzled with olive oil or merguez made at the adjacent halal butcher, or a little further west toward the junction with Portobello Road there's the superb fish barbeque.

Fish and chips is far better eaten out of paper on a park bench than from most pubs - you could go to the usual central London options of the Fryer's Delight on Theobalds Road or the Rock and Sole Plaice (geddit?) on Endell Street, but why not take th number twelve bus down to Cambrwell Green (home of the famous Camberwell Carrot...), and visit the excellent Flying Fish, where a lunch-size portion costs just £3.

Curry! It's perhaps not the best thing to eat on the hoof, but visit one of the canteen-style places popular with solo lunchers and you won't feel out of place. Chatkharah, on the Walworth Road near Elephant and Castle station, does a wonderful moong dahl, and a freshly made naan bread is just 70p. A little further down the road, Ozzie's Jerk Centre does a vicious bit of chicken.

Brixton's indoor market (Brixton Village/Granville Arcade, and Market Row), is full of interesting new arrivals, many of which can be recommended. Franco Manca does some of London's best pizza, which can be taken away. Don't forget to go in search of Gayana Roti on Station Road - the celebrated caravan from which this used to be purveyed has sadly been moved by the council, but word has it that she has set up shop nearby.

For traditional cockney seafood there's of course Tubby Isaac's at Aldgate East, or schlep out to Buckhurst Hill in Epping Forest (25mins on the Central Line) and head to Simply Seafood, where fresh prawns and scallops, cooked before your eyes, are on offer alongside whelks, cockles, muscles, oysters, dressed crab, and all that stuff. Sit outside under patio heaters with a pint of ale from the adjacent Warren Wood pub.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 PM

670 posts, read 905,436 times
Back in the summer of 2011 I discovered Eat St in Kings Cross and enjoyed some tasty street food, but I understand they are no more and have been replaced by KERB...I assume it's the same trucks and vendors, with new ones being added all the time.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
There aren't so many stalls, but there are a lot of places you can take food away from. Most big train stations have a variety of such food places. Try a pasty, they are easy to carry around and pretty filling. Jellied eels are really good, traditional London food, but many people can't get over the ick factor.

Errr times have moved on in London, it's all about pretentious grub they call street food.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 AM

London's best street food - Features - Time Out London

Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 AM

352 posts, read 416,335 times
Camden Town.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_Owl View Post
Camden Town.
Where are you thinking of exactly? I'm sure there are places, but most of the prominent street food (eg, the Chinese/Indian/Thai places that are actually all run by the same people in Stables Market) is just junk aimed purely at tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London