Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 62,996 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to relocate to London (UK) from Seattle. I'm having a hard time finding any cost of living calculators or comparisons that will tell me how much I'd need to make in London to have same lifestyle as in Seattle. For example, if I make $100K per yr in Seattle, what do i need to make in London?
THanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 02:29 PM

753 posts, read 759,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestaC View Post
I have an opportunity to relocate to London (UK) from Seattle. I'm having a hard time finding any cost of living calculators or comparisons that will tell me how much I'd need to make in London to have same lifestyle as in Seattle. For example, if I make $100K per yr in Seattle, what do i need to make in London?
THanks!
This one caught my attention since I made the Seattle to London move myself, albeit in 1997.

All I can say it was shocking then...so if you're considering a move these days, fasten your seatbelts!

But seriously, it's not what you make but what you expect to get for it. I have friends who work for £70K+, less bonus, and still can't get out of the rental trap. They do OK otherwise, but there's no hope to afford anything more than a broomcloset or converted public loo.

Be advised before you move.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:34 PM

89 posts, read 368,654 times
I can't compare the 2 cities as I've never lived in the US but $100k is well above the UK national average wage it will not get you a great lifestyle if you live in the centre of London and want to go out. To give you an idea my brother rents a 2 bed flat in Chiswick (a nice west london area about 30 minutes on the underground from the flashy west end nitespots). It costs him $3500 a month. This doesn't include council tax (property tax), water, electric or gas. which will add another $400 a month. My brother also has travelling expenses of $40 a week. Take out near him will cost you $16-$20. A restraurant mean will cost you at least $50 near him and you could double that close to the centre of London.
Hope that helps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London