Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:32 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,389,938 times

Advertisements

Motorcyclists should be left alone to make their own personal safety decisions. It is not up to anyone else to dictate what is safe for their own personal safety. They ride and they know better the dangers than those who don't ride. They don't need "no stinkin laws", except perhaps speed limits, to tell them how to be safe on roads. Drinking and driving a motorcycle is only a matter of sensibility and since the DUI laws are on the books, so be it. The fastest way to kill yourself on a motorcycle is to drive it drunk. It's their life and I am certain they are more concerned than anyone else to ride safely.

3,939 posts, read 8,984,366 times
All I know is I have to choke my bike in the morning to get it up to operating temperatures and it hits around 3-4k RPMs for a while and I have a loud exhaust.

Do I care? Nope.

13,513 posts, read 17,061,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
You don't have to worry about getting killed while using your leaf blower by someone texting and drinking a cup of coffee.

It's for safety. If they can hear you, then they will know that you are there. Too many people don't pay attention to what they are doing when they are driving and bikers get killed as a result.

I don't know how they can even ride on Long Island.
Driving is not a right, it's a privilege. If you choose to ride a motorcycle and not a car, you take that inherent risk. It doesn't justify you blowing everyone's ear drums out where ever you go. Try using a horn.

As I stated before, by the same justification people on bicycles should be creating 120db of noise so that people know they are there. Enough with the nonsense.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Driving is not a right, it's a privilege. If you choose to ride a motorcycle and not a car, you take that inherent risk. It doesn't justify you blowing everyone's ear drums out where ever you go. Try using a horn.

As I stated before, by the same justification people on bicycles should be creating 120db of noise so that people know they are there. Enough with the nonsense.

you mean the horn that people on LI really don't listen to? I almost got into an accident 3 times on the way to work today because some stupid b---- didn't hear my horn and almost sideswiped me twice within 2 minutes and drove on a median to cut me off?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:39 AM

456 posts, read 1,123,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
you don't have to be on a bike at all. If you were REALLY concerned about safety, you'd travel in something with a roof and doors.

yet somehow they find the courage to go on.
can't be that hard....there doesn't seem to be any shortage of them.
I love muscle cars and motorcycles and anything with a lot of hp that is loud and goes fast. I don't have a motorcycle though because I live on Long Island and simultaneously value my life. If I lived in the middle of nowhere I would have a Harley (and there are many people who do not fall into the Harley stereotype that many are throwing around here- I'm not even a guy).

Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 AM

456 posts, read 1,123,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

When I was younger, I thought nothing of riding a bicycle in traffic. I tried the same ride down to Long Beach when I was 20, and man, I won't do that again. I guess I'm older and wiser. The people on the bicycles probably should be creating that much noise because they are almost at the same risk level that the people of the motorcycles face.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
When I was younger, I thought nothing of riding a bicycle in traffic. I tried the same ride down to Long Beach when I was 20, and man, I won't do that again. I guess I'm older and wiser. The people on the bicycles probably should be creating that much noise because they are almost at the same risk level that the people of the motorcycles face.
IMO Bicycles need to get their asses out of the road and ride in some sort of bike-only lane (which obviously would require the town/county/state/whatever to get on and do it).

Old 06-17-2010, 10:07 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,765,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
nobody makes a leaf blower louder on purpose...
No, however the twits operating them will spend an extra 20 minutes blowing a handful of leaves into the street as opposed to raking and bagging.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 AM

532 posts, read 1,271,881 times
I haven't owned a bike in years. If I were to get one on LI (aint going to happen, too risky out here), I'd have reasonably loud pipes on it. It is a safety benefit. However, too many folks take this over the top and get LOUD pipes, which are obnoxious.

I have no problem with the people weaving their crotch rockets in and out of traffic at excessive speeds. We need organ donors.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,765,745 times
Quote:
You don't have to worry about getting killed while using your leaf blower by someone texting and drinking a cup of coffee.

It's for safety. If they can hear you, then they will know that you are there. Too many people don't pay attention to what they are doing when they are driving and bikers get killed as a result.

I don't know how they can even ride on Long Island.
Isn't that what happened to the woman in Freeport who was killed by a girl driving a van? Lady's gardening away while the drug-addled young woman runs her down. It could happen to any of us -- pedestrian, bike or car.

My husband has been rear-ended twice by people operating cars. Both times he was stopped at a light. The drivers who hit him were distracted.

LI is becoming crazier to drive around on. I had considered getting my motorcycle license, but am genuinely concerned about everyone else out there driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island