Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 06:22 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Manufactured homes are what used to be called mobile homes. They are not modular homes.
Incorrect. Mobiles homes come with wheels attached. You call your cousins and get their help to take the wheels off once you have it parked where you want it. Modular/Prefab homes come prebuilt in pieces, and is assembled by contractors on site. (Usually on a Concrete foundation) 2 totally different animals.

Mobile homes never appreciate in value, modular/prefabs appreciate in value just like any other home.

I briefly looked into modular homes but was told that the "Island" situation we're in would make it prohibitively expensive (not impossible, but darn expensive) to do.

What's the toll to drive a home across the Verrazano anyways??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 07:22 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Good luck with the Town of Islip.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:22 AM

654 posts, read 2,120,950 times
When I was looking to buy in Commack I came across one. The porperty was an acre though and there was a bungalow in the back.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Incorrect. Mobiles homes come with wheels attached. You call your cousins and get their help to take the wheels off once you have it parked where you want it. Modular/Prefab homes come prebuilt in pieces, and is assembled by contractors on site. (Usually on a Concrete foundation) 2 totally different animals.

Mobile homes never appreciate in value, modular/prefabs appreciate in value just like any other home.

I briefly looked into modular homes but was told that the "Island" situation we're in would make it prohibitively expensive (not impossible, but darn expensive) to do.

Modular Homes - About Modular and Manufactured Homes

Old 06-14-2010, 07:54 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
So I am a snob if I don't like the idea of my neighbor having someone living in a camper/trailer on his property? You are serious?
Ok...if you are in Mastic you might not care, if you are in Garden City, yeah, not happening. You can pick whatever descriptive term you would prefer.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
Ok...if you are in Mastic you might not care, if you are in Garden City, yeah, not happening. You can pick whatever descriptive term you would prefer.
Enjoy PA.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
I guess the world of trailer parks are getting fancy with their names and "manufactured" homes.

So the OP wants to put a trailer in the yard, not a modular or prefab home.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:00 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Enjoy PA.
They have cows. It's nice.

Anyway, back in the day, my grandparents actually used to have a mobile next to their house for my grandfather's brother (this was in the 50's). There weren't any issues. Now, my new neighbors would have a heart attack. They even complained when I had building material next to my house because I was in the middle of doing the siding and the roof..go figure.

Times are different now. Unless there is a lot of land I don't think you can do this.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post

Ha! Probably an eye-popping toll! LOL!

I would say that mobile homes (aka trailers) are not popular here because the land is so expensive people who want mobile homes can't afford the land in the first place.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:41 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
First the Town of Islip would have to approve provided there was enough land to subdivide.

Suffolk County BOH would certainly have to get involved. Chances are the septic/cesspool isn't going to be enough to handle two households of waste.

If a person can't afford an addition onto the main house, how are they going to afford the legal fees for the subdivision, the cost of septic upgrades, the mobile home and the taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island