Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:28 AM

8 posts, read 10,408 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are not quite ready to by a home and need to look for a 2 bedroom apartment in Long Island, I was offered a new position in Mineola, NY. I really don't know where to begin looking.

I would like to know what is a nice area in Nassua county with good schools and a mixed environment. We have a moderate income but would not want to spend too much renting (800-1200 a month).

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 08:40 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
You might try looking in Mineola, there are some apartment complexes there.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:46 AM

I did look into a few apartments in Mineola and they were very expensive. I was hoping other areas would be a little more reasonible.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
You aren't going to get a 2BR apartment in Nassau County for $800-$1200 a month unless it's an illegal basement apartment. If you want to live in an apartment building, you're going to have to up your budget.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:02 PM

Ok I was just wondering....Will do, thanks!!!!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You aren't going to get a 2BR apartment in Nassau County for $800-$1200 a month unless it's an illegal basement apartment. If you want to live in an apartment building, you're going to have to up your budget.
I have a 2br apartment in the first floor of a 2-family house for 1400.. so not much more than you're looking to spend.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:43 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Where are you coming from? I ask because Long Island apartment living is not the same as the rest of the country. If you find a decent 2 bedroom for $1400 a month, grab it because that would be an excellent rent. Also while determining your budget, although the rents may seem high, unlike in other parts of the country, water, sewage, and trash pick-up is included within your rent. In a apartment building, heat and water is often included as well. If you rent in a private home, heat and water may or many not be included in the rent. If you are bringing a car, don't forget to inquire about parking.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 PM

I am coming from Canarsie in Brooklyn. I currently have a 2 bedroom in a private house as well and pay $1250 a month, we do pay light & gas.

We can go as high as $1500 depending on the apartment and utilities included. More than anything I'm just not that familiar with the island and don't know what areas are best for a young couple and close to the city.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:45 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Why don't you just commute to mineola?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinds00 View Post
I am coming from Canarsie in Brooklyn. I currently have a 2 bedroom in a private house as well and pay $1250 a month, we do pay light & gas.

We can go as high as $1500 depending on the apartment and utilities included. More than anything I'm just not that familiar with the island and don't know what areas are best for a young couple and close to the city.
It is very rare to get "utilities included" for 2 bedroom apartments. That scheme is usually for illegal studios or 1 bedroom apartments when it comes to Nassau County.

Beware when renting of landlords of multifamily homes who besides having separate electric/cooking gas meters for the tenants, have also chopped the furnaces/hot water heaters up for each apartment so that the tenants have to pay their own heat/hot water. They usually DO NOT reduce the rent enough to take this into account and try and get the same amount of rent that landlords who pay for the heat/hot water (included in the rent) do. Don't believe them when they say paying your own heat/hot water "won't cost much." It can add a significant amount onto your monthly housing costs, in some cases even more than paying your own electricity does.

The only places you could find the rent you want to pay would be in Suffolk County (the further out the cheaper). That may not be a good idea because it would be a big commute.

My advice would be to just commute from Brooklyn OR if you really don't absolutely need 2 bedrooms, look for a 1 bedroom. I think you could find a decent 1 bedroom apartment within the budget you stated. Good luck and congratulations on the new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: