Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

In my travels, I often come across items cast to the curb by homeowners doing their own renovations. I'm a preservationist, but respect the fact that people enjoy updating the interiors of their older homes.

BUT: It would be wise if they would learn what they have before tossing things in the trash.

Today I found raised panel doors in remarkable condition. They had been stripped of their hardware, and weren't the correct doors for the house they had been removed from. What the tosser might not have realized is that these same doors would cost upwards of $300 each to replicate for a homeowner who needs the same doors for his/her restoration.

It might be asking a lot of time pressed people to stop and learn, but in the end, it benefits everyone and is the ultimate recycling when these items are saved and passed on to another individual to use in their project.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 09-01-2010 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: I left out a vital word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 01:06 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,368 times
Don't know if there are similar places further east, but there is a non-profit architectural salvage place in Astoria, Build it Green NYC, to which you can donate (or, on the flip side, purchase relatively inexpensively), good quality, reusable architectural/renovation items.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Freecycle.org was started just for this purpose to recycle still usable items (to keep them out of the landfill) and offering them for free, generally as p/u only. There are "chapters" all over the country; on Long Island we have Nassau County and Eastern and Western Suffolk.
I've posted items there as "offers" - especially when I help homeowners declutter or during a move - and as someone who found things I wanted or needed from others who were looking for takers.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
no offense but images from the show hoarders comes to mind.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,433 times
There's also the ReStore for Habitat for Humanity.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
There's also the ReStore for Habitat for Humanity.
Great place! Here's a link to their website ReStore resale outlets -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l

Old 09-02-2010, 06:18 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
Don't know if there are similar places further east, but there is a non-profit architectural salvage place in Astoria, Build it Green NYC, to which you can donate (or, on the flip side, purchase relatively inexpensively), good quality, reusable architectural/renovation items.
OMG! Thank you!

We're planning a reconstruction to turn our 1940's ranch into a neo-Queen Ann and we have been looking for restore/reuse materials (Habitat for Humanity will be offered right of first refusal for our existing materials).

Edit:

Middle Island - Suffolk Restore, HFH of
643 Middle Country Rd, Middle Island, NY 11953
631-924-4966, Ext. 111

Last edited by James1202; 09-02-2010 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: add Suffolk Restore addy

Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions; however the items I refer to are things for architectural salvage. Our clients with antique homes (over 100 years old) tend to try to keep within the period of their homes which means one of two things -- expensive fabrication or locating period pieces. I travel to VT, NH & MA several times a year tracking down period mantles, doors, hardware, corner cabinets, sinks, tubs -- the list goes on and on -- for such clients. It's time consuming but a lot of fun. These are the type of items I was referring to and I apologize for not being clear.

Elke's Freecycle suggestion is one I have used many times for the newer items which are still usable but perhaps out of style, in need of refinishing, etc. We recently cleared a relative's house of many items that way.

We have had a number of clients (who own 1940's era or newer) send their no longer needed cabinetry, interior doors etc, to Habitat ReStore, and as a plus, they are able to receive a receipt for tax purposes.

rh1 -- no offense taken. I know it sounds strange that I plucked doors from the curb, but somewhere down the line I will have saved a client some serious money (either fabricating or my expenses hunting them in New England.) My work shop looks like a mini architectural salvage store; fortunately it is in an industrial park.

During my last whirlwind trip up north, one vendor I use had some 70 odd feet of heavily ornate Victorian interior trim in assorted lengths recently salvaged from a reno. The shortest length was 6' the longest 12'. It was solid, needed old paint stripped from it, but should clean up like new. He's asking, and chances are will get, over $500 for it. This is the sort of stuff people rip out and toss -- unaware of it's value.

LIGuy1202 -- good luck with your project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island