Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:13 PM

152 posts, read 399,759 times

Advertisements

Don't want be be insensitive but I feel that there should not be any memorials (trees with plaques, benches with signs etc etc) on public property. I understand that a deceased relative/friend may have had a favorite park or beach but why do others be subjected to it?

There's a reason for cemeteries ....and that's where the grieving/crying etc should be conducted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:45 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
I've posted about this before and I agree 100% with you. They should be removed after a short period of time after the unfortunate incident.

It's really low class.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
If a tree, bench, park, etc is dedicated in someone's name that's one thing and I think that's fine. What I don't think is fine are those roadside "memorials" with plastic flowers, teddy bears, candles, t-shrits, etc.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:00 AM

87 posts, read 174,874 times
Government/insurance company ploy/conspiracy to create more accidents.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:48 AM

886 posts, read 2,646,880 times
It's just physical graffiti.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:39 AM

592 posts, read 1,814,082 times
Wow, I'm surprised to hear all the negative responses to this OP's post. What the OPer spoke about was plaques or signs on public park trees or benches. I don't see anything in the OP about decorated telephone poles.

My favorite park, in fact it's probably my most favorite place to be in the whole world, has benches in it that were donated by families of deceased donors and/or local garden club members (they maintain the park) who have passed away. There are approximately 3" X 6" bronze plaques stating who the honoree is in the benches that have been donated to the park by the deceased one's loved ones in their honor. I think that's lovely and it certainly doesn't offend me in the least! In fact, my fondest wish would be for my family to donate one in memorial to me when I die. Behind that park is a 12 acre wooded area that is also maintained by the local garden society and it has ornamental trees here and there with black plastic imprinted "in memory of" signs on them, also not offensive in the least as far as I'm concerned and considering them "public graffiti", or "low class"? I just don't get it. I don't think the donors of those benches and trees expect you to grieve when they donate those things, they want to honor their loved one in a way that they would especially like and only expect you to enjoy sitting on the bench or enjoy looking at or perhaps sitting under the tree.

I don't understand what it is that the OPer feels they are being "subjected" to. Is it just the reminder of death? I'm not being a wise guy here, I'd just truly like to understand the deeper "why" of why someone would feel that a memorial plaque or sign in a donated public park bench is offensive to them and should be in a graveyard instead.

As far as the decorated telephone poles go, which is not a part of this OP BTW, I just can't imagine the pain of losing your 18-25 year old child in a car accident, which is the age group who most of those poles seem to be in honor of. And, if the families and friends of those killed in that spot need to memorialize and remember them for a year or more so be it. Freedom of speech is what America is all about and I'd guess that includes freedom to mourn in your own way, as well.

I'm sure when the survivors feel it's time to remove the memorials they will do that. Until then the memorials just serve as a reminder to the rest of us to stop drinking and driving, stop texting and driving, stop dialing and driving and on and on, in addition to just being a careful driver in the first place, because if we don't not only might we be killed in a horrible accident, but we will also leave behind many, many devastated people who loved and needed us. Why not just say a quick prayer for the devastated friends and family who have been left behind by the person who was suddenly killed in the automobile accident as you pass by rather than sneer and huff about it?

Old 09-06-2010, 02:25 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
Usually those memorials are put there with a nice donation to whatever park/area, because that person enjoyed that particular part of the world. Nothing wrong with a little plaque memorializing that.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
I originally read this as the "plastic flowers and teddy bears tied to a telephone pole" type memorial. What would you have against putting a bench with a plaque on it?

We did one of the benches in Long Beach on the boardwalk for my Mother in Law. I think it cost about $700 at the time and we paid for it while the town maintains it. That boardwalk has tons of them now - many from 9-11 - all replacing older beat up ones. The city replaced a bench that she sat on all the time with a brand new one paid for with private funds, the plaque is small. I see it as a win win.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I originally read this as the "plastic flowers and teddy bears tied to a telephone pole" type memorial. What would you have against putting a bench with a plaque on it?

We did one of the benches in Long Beach on the boardwalk for my Mother in Law. I think it cost about $700 at the time and we paid for it while the town maintains it. That boardwalk has tons of them now - many from 9-11 - all replacing older beat up ones. The city replaced a bench that she sat on all the time with a brand new one paid for with private funds, the plaque is small. I see it as a win win.
Hi, I'm trying to have this done on Long Beach boardwalk and couldn't find any info on the website. Can you let me know how you did it. I know this is a long shot given your reply was 11 years ago, but worth a try. Thanks

Old 04-24-2021, 12:43 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahak View Post
Hi, I'm trying to have this done on Long Beach boardwalk and couldn't find any info on the website. Can you let me know how you did it. I know this is a long shot given your reply was 11 years ago, but worth a try. Thanks
City Council of Long Beach should be able to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island