Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM

Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (But originally from Long Island)
76 posts, read 231,333 times

Advertisements

We are ready to list our house for sale, and am wondering if we should put a Craigslist ad or not.

I have no idea if serious buyers even search on there. It will be listed on MLS (my husband is a Comm. R.E. Broker) - and we will put some ads in Newsday -etc, but was thinking it may not hurt to throw it on Craigslist too....I know I have used the site (for other things) in the past, and you end up getting all kinds of Spam emails - some crazy replies - but I know alot of people do regularly use it for many things.

Did anyone here who sold a house - or was looking to buy a house use Craigslist?? Good or bad results?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM

65 posts, read 133,779 times
Just my $0.02... It can't hurt.

Okay, my $0.04... Post as many pics as you can, I think it lets you do 8 now. And then, of course, link to the MLS site for your property.

I'm looking to rent more than buy, but even when I have bought, I find myself perusing CL - as much for entertainment value as anything. I can't believe some of the photos and lack of info some people post.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM

638 posts, read 1,281,811 times
Speaking as someone who is closing Friday(YAY!) after having the farm on the market for 6 years, any exposure is good exposure!! The real estate section is VERY popular, so your ad ends up three pages deep in 2 hours! Make sure the title line has something in it to make it stand out. I listed my property in the Farm and Garden section!!

Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Free advertising is always good. Please ask him to post pictures that any viewer can see without signing up for some agency. One real estate company does that and it's so agrivating just to look at a few pictures.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 PM

69 posts, read 93,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYPPKathy View Post
We are ready to list our house for sale, and am wondering if we should put a Craigslist ad or not.

I have no idea if serious buyers even search on there. It will be listed on MLS (my husband is a Comm. R.E. Broker) - and we will put some ads in Newsday -etc, but was thinking it may not hurt to throw it on Craigslist too....I know I have used the site (for other things) in the past, and you end up getting all kinds of Spam emails - some crazy replies - but I know alot of people do regularly use it for many things.

Did anyone here who sold a house - or was looking to buy a house use Craigslist?? Good or bad results?

Thanks in advance!
I have had great success with Craigslist for many things. Some things I've learned:

-Designate a gmail or hotmail account solely for use with craigslist ads. Leave the headers turned on.

-Check the incoming IP address of any responses to make sure it's local.

-google the incoming email address, and search it on Facebook..if the sender used that address to register on FB, you will get their page and you can judge for yourself if you think you'll feel comfortable dealing with them.

-if you get a name from the above methods, google it.

Sounds insane (yea like <--that bothers me) and maybe excessive but I've sold on CL on numerous successful occasions. I would definitely list the house on there, just weed out the unsavory replies and don't cash 3rd party checks for Zimbabweans and you should be fine

Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Thank you for all the replies! And No Joe, its NOT insane - there was some very good advice there. You can never be too careful. And I have LOTS of pictures - since you can only use 8 on Craigslist, I can always provide my virtual tour site - this way they can see them all! <g>

Wish us luck.....hoping the R.E. Market is picking up as they say. ~Kathy

Old 02-25-2013, 10:36 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYPPKathy View Post

Wish us luck.....hoping the R.E. Market is picking up as they say. ~Kathy
The "Spring Market" is already in full Spring! The Buyers are out there!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 AM

(Elke Mariotti --->The "Spring Market" is already in full Spring! The Buyers are out there!)

Thank you Elke...

I would have listed sooner, but NEMO went and messed that all up - LOL! The ONLY *S* words I want to hear now are SPRING and SOLD!!! <g>

Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Good luck - where's the house ( you don't have to get specific if you won't want - maybe just say Nassau or Suffolk).

I see you're moving out of state - good luck! We made the same move 2.5 years ago!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Good luck - where's the house ( you don't have to get specific if you won't want - maybe just say Nassau or Suffolk).

I see you're moving out of state - good luck! We made the same move 2.5 years ago!
Thanks Twingles!

We have a 5 BR house on 2 acres in Smithtown and moving to the Charlotte NC area...

Last edited by SYPPKathy; 02-26-2013 at 05:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island