Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Come out into the real world and you will see that they match only a FRACTION of what you put in. PLUS. if they don't want to, they don't have to match anything. You write this like private sector companies all match 100% of employee contributions.
They don't? Dang, you must know some cheap companies.

I must have been lucky. I've worked for places that put money in even if I didn't. Free money!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
They don't? Dang, you must know some cheap companies.

I must have been lucky. I've worked for places that put money in even if I didn't. Free money!
Cheap companies abound throughout the USA when it comes to 401k contributions:

401khelpcenter.com - Benchmark Your 401k

Quote:
Employer Contributions

Company contributions average 3.0% of payroll.

Numerous formulas are used to determine company contributions. In plans permitting participant contributions, the most common formula is a fixed match only, present in 29.5% of plans (including plans with safe harbor matches). For plans with fixed matches, the most common matches are $.50 per $1.00 up to the first 6% of pay (32.2% of plans), $1.00 per $1.00 up to the first 4% of pay (9.8% of plans) and $1.00 per $1.00 up to the first 3% of pay (8.5% of plans).
That's what is "typical."

My current employer also contributes whether we do or not.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Cheap companies abound throughout the USA when it comes to 401k contributions:

[URL="http://www.401khelpcenter.com/benchmarking.html"]401khelpcenter.com - Benchmark Your 401k[/URL]

That's what is "typical."

My current employer also contributes whether we do or not.
Start the revolution, baby!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Any company that has tried to recruit me has tried to dangle options.

But in the end, who cares? I mean, really. The private sector is ugly because the workers in the private sector let it be ugly. That's not the civil service's problem. Never has been, never will be.
Just curious, when were you last looking for employment in the private sector?

The workers in the private sector allowed things to get ugly? Really? can you let us know how?

I never said it had anything to do with the civil service people, I just said that most people in the private sector don't get Stock Options

Old 09-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Just curious, when were you last looking for employment in the private sector?

The workers in the private sector allowed things to get ugly? Really? can you let us know how?

I never said it had anything to do with the civil service people, I just said that most people in the private sector don't get Stock Options
I walked out of the private sector about a year ago and haven't looked back. Literally. I stood up, declared, "I QUIT," packed my stuff, and marched out, just like that. Being treated like a wage slave disgusted me. Three sick days a year disgusted me. Doing my boss's work while she sat in her office sounding out words (a director of communications SOUNDING OUT WORDS) and hauling in a director's salary because she was the CEO's sister disgusted me.

But that's all personal. It was watching fat-cat millionaires lay off rank-and-file secretaries, mail clerks, and IT people to preserve their precious bonuses; taking bailout money but not re-hiring the people they laid off; and dumping the work on those who remained without giving them raises or any other benefits that was the last straw. I want no part of it. It would have to be one helluva socially responsible company to entice me back to the private sector. I like being in business for myself, even though it's tough at times. Failing that, I'd go back to non-profit. The private sector can bite me. It really can.

[youtube]OVKLmpALMFc[/youtube]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVKLmpALMFc"]YouTube - Talkin Bout A Revolution, Tracy Chapman (lyrics)[/URL]

Old 09-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I walked out of the private sector about a year ago and haven't looked back. Literally. I stood up, declared, "I QUIT," packed my stuff, and marched out, just like that. Being treated like a wage slave disgusted me. Three sick days a year disgusted me. Doing my boss's work while she sat in her office sounding out words (a director of communications SOUNDING OUT WORDS) and hauling in a director's salary because she was the CEO's sister disgusted me.

But that's all personal. It was watching fat-cat millionaires lay off rank-and-file secretaries, mail clerks, and IT people to preserve their precious bonuses; taking bailout money but not re-hiring the people they laid off; and dumping the work on those who remained without giving them raises or any other benefits that was the last straw. I want no part of it. It would have to be one helluva socially responsible company to entice me back to the private sector. I like being in business for myself, even though it's tough at times. Failing that, I'd go back to non-profit. The private sector can bite me. It really can.

YouTube - Talkin Bout A Revolution, Tracy Chapman (lyrics)
Are you saying the private sector employees have allowed things to get ugly because we aren't just walking off our jobs and singing "Take This Job and Shove It" like you did?

It must be nice to be able to just walk out of a job on the spot like that, it just isn't an option for most people. Of course there are certain things that bother me every day about "Corporate America", I look at it as part of the job. I have been fortunate to do well enough most years to have it all be worth it and actually enjoy what I do.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Are you saying the private sector employees have allowed things to get ugly
Yep, private sector employees have allowed this crap to happen to them. You say not everyone has options. That's not true. There are always options. Always. Organize. Go into business for yourself. Take action. Quit taking it unlubricated, get off yer butt, and do something to better your situation.

"But I have a mortgage/kids/car payments/yadda whee whoop-de-doo-doo!"

Whatever. That's the kind of thing people with limited thinking say. Many, if not most, Americans don't like to tighten their belts and slug it out. They'd rather be complacent and sit around whining. That's why it's so easy to keep the middle class down. The fat-cats have that figured out, and that's why they continue to rake in the millions while everyone else is too terrified of losing their jobs to stand up for themselves. Well, people can only wield the power you give them.

Bottom line is that if all you're willing to do is complain about what someone else has, you'll get no sympathy from me. ("You" in the general sense.) The constant grousing is just a lot of static.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Last edited by Yzette; 09-20-2010 at 09:08 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Yep, private sector employees have allowed this crap to happen to them. You say not everyone has options. That's not true. There are always options. Always. Organize. Go into business for yourself. Take action. Quit taking it unlubricated, get off yer butt, and do something to better your situation.

"But I have a mortgage/kids/car payments/yadda whee whoop-de-doo-doo!"

Whatever. That's the kind of thing people with limited thinking say. Many, if not most, Americans don't like to tighten their belts and slug it out. They'd rather be complacent and sit around whining. That's why it's so easy to keep the middle class down. The fat-cats have that figured out, and that's why they continue to rake in the millions while everyone else is too terrified of losing their jobs to stand up for themselves. Well, people can only wield the power you give them.

Bottom line is that if all you're willing to do is complain about what someone else has, you'll get no sympathy from me. The constant grousing is just a lot of static.

And that's all I have to say about that.
I guess you live in a different world than most. Please share a little more about your specific situation. Did you live alone and support yourself when you decided to so bravely walk out on your job? I bet you have a nice cushion from some other source which allows you the flexibilty to be so arrogant. That is all I have to say about that.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Are you saying the private sector employees have allowed things to get ugly because we aren't just walking off our jobs and singing "Take This Job and Shove It" like you did?

It must be nice to be able to just walk out of a job on the spot like that, it just isn't an option for most people. Of course there are certain things that bother me every day about "Corporate America", I look at it as part of the job. I have been fortunate to do well enough most years to have it all be worth it and actually enjoy what I do.
yes in many ways they/we did it to our selves

think about this...not more than 25 years, working at a career for 20 plus years and getting a pension was normal....then came the Yuppies...they didnt want pensions...they wanted to be "upwardly" 'mobile', so pensions went away and 401ks became the norm........30 years ago...the medical insurance was called hospitalization, it was the norm... but workers wanted an all encompassing plan, one that would cover all doctors visits....now you pay $100 a week, so that you are covered for your once a year doctors visit.....

the private sector is so CUT-THROAT (and back stabbing) its a wonder anyone would want to work at it.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Yes its called private sector wall street employees. Making millions off greed. The corporate media is doing a fine job redirecting the publics anger away from the private sector greed which caused the depression we are in. Lets remember the civil servants have zero to do with the poor economy.
Since NY labor contracts not grounded in fiscal reality and a pension program that is not able to fund itself drive a very large portion of my "tops in the country" property tax rates...I would beg to differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island